Possible to add extra menu item?
Rainbow 
I'm about to install my first XBMC pc. I have tried the installation procedure on my PC.

I have one specially important issue I would like to resolve. I will share my XBMC with my kids and I have 40-50 childrens movies for them. However I do not want their movies to be mixed with mine through the default movie menu item. Is it possible to add a menu item so that this does not happen?

Maybe there is addons for this? I did notice that you could add custom menu items with the Transparancy skin but then you will have to add the spesific movies ass favourites if I have understood correctly.

Thanks for any help! I'm running Dharma4.
Smart Playlists are the way to go. This question is asked almost daily here. Don't feel bad...my version of this question is here from about a month ago. Wink

I really hate the name Smart Playlists and think that is where a lot of the confusion comes from. It is not what they are used for at all (maybe when it was first created that was the intent though). While it can be used for a playlist per se...it is more of a smart filter the way most people use it.

On the main menu click right arrow to get to the submenu and scroll down to Playlists. Click that and then Smart Playlists. You will then get a dialog box and you can then create one based on paramaters such as file location or genre and then save it.

Then go to the setting section. Go to the Skin menu. You should be able to add custom home screen items here and associate them with a playlist. You can then associate background art with that item. Viola..you now have a new home screen item with your type of films. I know it is supported in Night, Back Row, and Transparency, but I think it is supported in all Dharma supported skins.

Having said all this, Smart Playlists do not work for me at all. When I click on it nothing happens. This happens for many other users, but not the majority. If it does not work for you you will have to create an XML file instead of the easy GUI way until someone fixes this.

If you have a problem with this, post again and I will post the location of the instructions for creating the XML file. There is also a great video by mcborzu (Night skin creator) that I can dig up.

EDIT: Also, some skins automatically play the smart playlist instead of showing the library mode when you do this. There is an easy fix I can post if you have that problem with your skin.
Thanks alot for the help Ranger Bob. If I understand you correctly then my Movies Menu will have all movies, My movies + the childrens movies, but the "Custom Menu" will ONLY include the movies I have added to the "smart playlist" then?

I guess this would work out even though it would have been better to separate them totally. Since I am new I would really like for you to find thoose links you were talking about, Creating XML files and such.

Again thanks for help. I look so much forward to set this up.
install "night skin"
create a smart playlist,
add smart playlist to your home menu
? ? ? ?
profit

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=76717

-=Jason=-
Or this approach:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61779
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=76486

Basically ignore all the cruft about custom content and create two profiles, one with your stuff and another with kid stuff, then switch between them any way you like (remote, home screen, login screen)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
tormi Wrote:Thanks alot for the help Ranger Bob. If I understand you correctly then my Movies Menu will have all movies, My movies + the childrens movies, but the "Custom Menu" will ONLY include the movies I have added to the "smart playlist" then?

I guess this would work out even though it would have been better to separate them totally. Since I am new I would really like for you to find thoose links you were talking about, Creating XML files and such.

Yes and no. Wink

You should star by watching the link to the video the Flo posted. (Thanks Flo). It is only about 2 minutes and to the point.

What I told you to do will give you the kids menu with only kids movies. To get the same thing for all of your movies except the kids movies you will need to create another playlist excluding the kids movies. You will then add that to the home screen and call it movies and disable the normal movies home menu item.

Another option is profiles like Sho is recommending. Try it if you like, but I think Smart Playlists will achieve the effect you are looking for.
I tried out two different profiles I didn't like it. I found smart playlist and movie sets to be much more effective.

for example using Ember Media Manger I created a "Disney Movies" set and have 140+ disney movies in there, it only takes up one poster in my movies, clicking into it reveals all the movies with posters and fanarts.

the AWESOME thing about xbmc is that you have more than one way to skin a cat Wink

-=Jason=-
Also, here is the link on how to create the Smart Playlist XML file you asked for. Just remember to call the file <name>.xsp

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Pla..._Playlists
Flomaster Wrote:I tried out two different profiles I didn't like it. I found smart playlist and movie sets to be much more effective.

for example using Ember Media Manger I created a "Disney Movies" set and have 140+ disney movies in there, it only takes up one poster in my movies, clicking into it reveals all the movies with posters and fanarts.

the AWESOME thing about xbmc is that you have more than one way to skin a cat Wink

-=Jason=-

I use this method for my 100+ UFC fights. Sets are a good solution too. But if you are going to go to that 'Set' often you will have to name it something non-intuitive like 'AA Kids' to make sure it comes up at the top every time.
tormi Wrote:Thanks alot for the help Ranger Bob. If I understand you correctly then my Movies Menu will have all movies, My movies + the childrens movies, but the "Custom Menu" will ONLY include the movies I have added to the "smart playlist" then?

In a number of skins you can hide the original menu items Movies, videos and only have your custom ones visible
Ranger Rob Wrote:I use this method for my 100+ UFC fights. Sets are a good solution too. But if you are going to go to that 'Set' often you will have to name it something non-intuitive like 'AA Kids' to make sure it comes up at the top every time.

@Kids
#Kids
!Kids

all good choices and what I use in windows to keep a folder at the top a directory. not sure if xbmc allows for that naming structure.

-=Jason=-
There is another alternative if your movies are in a separate folder from your kids then you can lock that folder then unless your in master mode only your kids movies will be visible in library
I am overwhelmed with all the help I've got so far. I have been reading non stop since my first posts. I will set up a new test setup, I don't want to stress to much when my final htpc arrives.
Flomaster Wrote:I tried out two different profiles I didn't like it. I found smart playlist and movie sets to be much more effective.
What exactly is it you don't like?
In my experience if done properly it is as transparent as smart playlists (with a lot fewer actions to get to the stuff you want), with the added bonus of completely separate contents (effectively multiple libraries).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Profiles is actually quite neat I must say.

I have tried to make a couple of playlists and it seems to me that it is quite different on different skins how it works. For instance I am not able to create playlists based on path. However I do think that it would be perfect if I could combine theese two methods. But I would really like to be able to filter on genre, but it does not seem that either EMBER MEDIA MANAGER og XBMX itself grabs this data from its sources. So none of my movies have a genre set.

I can make them based on movie resolution, that works fines, but I would like to have all my kids movies in one storage place and just point it there.

Now I have been trying to add some music files (18 gigs) of it. I have stored the music like this on my server:
Music folder/Artistname/Album 1[Year of album], Album2 etc

But it does not seem to fetch artist and album information the same way as is done with movies.

Is there a special trick to this? Or could you point me in direction of a thread that explains this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Possible to add extra menu item?0