• 389(current)
[CLOSED] Advanced Launcher - Applications Launcher Addon for XBMC
(2014-04-25, 13:01)bertbeukema Wrote: Still no luck using Retroarch or other emulators in Gotham B4. At the most the application will say 'starting xyz' but nothing happens.
Perhaps someone can PM me an xml file of their config using OpenElec? That way I can figure out what i'm doing wrong.

Regards,

Bert

Something like this should work

Quote:<application>C:\RetroArch\retroarch.exe</application>
<args>-D "%rom%" --config config\htpc-andres\retroarch.cfg -L libretro\bsnes_balanced_libretro.dll</args>

You just need to adjust your paths with your config file location and your libretro cores location, of course I use windows but retroarch works the same on all platforms
(2014-04-30, 18:43)SuperMarmotte Wrote: 1.
I think that for each launcher (especially "Files Launcher (e.g. Game Emulator)"), we should be able to specify a folder to load/save the .nfo files.
Well, exactly like we are doing with the Thumbs and Fanart folders.
I will try to look what can I do. But comparatively to thumbs and fanart images path, NFO files are not necessary to fully use Advanced Launcher. NFO files are just here to export and re-import items data (for example if you want to move your Advanced Launcher setup to another system). So, I'm not sure, asking for NFO files folder during launcher creation is necessary, if most of the users do not need to use them.

(2014-04-30, 18:43)SuperMarmotte Wrote: 2.
When creating a launcher with MAME roms, there's a way to ignore BIOS roms. Wouldn't it be totally great if we also could ignore clones, and keep only parent roms?
I mean, Advanced Launcher "knows" when the .zip file is a BIOS or a GAME (thanks to the ArcadeHits scrapper I suppose?), so is it possible to get that info too while importing?
When I browse their website, it's specified when a ROM is a clone of XYZ, and if it's not mentioned, then it's a parent rom.

If it's not possible, I'll probably look for a ROM manager that can sort the roms and only put the parent ones inside the folder I'm going to scan with Advanced Launcher.
No... There would be no ignore clones features for MAME. BIOS roms are necessary to start some MAME games, they must be into the same folder than the ROMS, but have not to be directly started form Advanced Launcher. That's why Advanced Launcher include a feature to ignore them during scraping. At the opposite clones are not necessary. It you don't want to import or see them into Advanced Launcher... simply do not put them on the scanned folder by effectively using a ROM manager.
@ Angelscry
Thank you for your answer. I understand.
If doing the .nfo stuff is too difficult (or doesn't make any sense), I can still do an AutoIt script for when I need to move the .nfo files around ;-)

Thanks again!
Not difficult, but it will make the use of Advanced Launcher more heavy (assign a NFO files path during launcher creation) for only an optional and facultative feature.
Have you ever considered using the SteamAPI to make a launcher type for Steam games?
(2014-05-09, 00:58)codepony Wrote: Have you ever considered using the SteamAPI to make a launcher type for Steam games?
No, because that's already exist : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ight=steam
First of all thank you very much for this add-on... I would like to ask if there is anyway to jump straight from the category menu to the rom menu by skipping the emulator selection screen. If not would it be possible for you to create a select default launcher option when the files launcher option is chosen?

Also how do I add information in the fields for: Premiered, Developer and Year?

Once again thanks
(2014-05-09, 21:55)Viperveteran Wrote: First of all thank you very much for this add-on... I would like to ask if there is anyway to jump straight from the category menu to the rom menu by skipping the emulator selection screen. If not would it be possible for you to create a select default launcher option when the files launcher option is chosen?
Just create a favourite of your launcher and add this favourite as a menu entry into your XBMC skin.

(2014-05-09, 21:55)Viperveteran Wrote: Also how do I add information in the fields for: Premiered, Developer and Year?
You can do this by diffent ways :
  • Using the scrapers (if your content are games or comics) : Edit Item (launcher) > Modify Datas/Infos > Import from...
  • By manually editing them from Advanced Launcher : Edit Item (launcher or category) > Modify Datas/Infos > Them modify the field you want.
  • By using NFO files : Edit Item (launcher or category) > Modify Datas/Infos > Save to .NFO file. It will create and NFO file. Go out XBMC and edit this NFO file using any text editor on you operating system. Then go back to Advanced Launcher and Edit Item (launcher or category) > Modify Datas/Infos > Import from .NFO file.
  • Or by editing manullay the userdata/addon_data/plugin.program.advanced.launcher/launchers.xml file.
(2014-05-10, 14:50)Angelscry Wrote:
(2014-05-09, 21:55)Viperveteran Wrote: First of all thank you very much for this add-on... I would like to ask if there is anyway to jump straight from the category menu to the rom menu by skipping the emulator selection screen. If not would it be possible for you to create a select default launcher option when the files launcher option is chosen?
Just create a favourite of your launcher and add this favourite as a menu entry into your XBMC skin.

(2014-05-09, 21:55)Viperveteran Wrote: Also how do I add information in the fields for: Premiered, Developer and Year?
You can do this by diffent ways :
  • Using the scrapers (if your content are games or comics) : Edit Item (launcher) > Modify Datas/Infos > Import from...
  • By manually editing them from Advanced Launcher : Edit Item (launcher or category) > Modify Datas/Infos > Them modify the field you want.
  • By using NFO files : Edit Item (launcher or category) > Modify Datas/Infos > Save to .NFO file. It will create and NFO file. Go out XBMC and edit this NFO file using any text editor on you operating system. Then go back to Advanced Launcher and Edit Item (launcher or category) > Modify Datas/Infos > Import from .NFO file.
  • Or by editing manullay the userdata/addon_data/plugin.program.advanced.launcher/launchers.xml file.

Thank you for your response I will try out the second solution.

With regards to the first question I was referring to launching from within your program. So when I open your program I have a list of console categories

[Categories] PS2
I click the Playstation 2 and then I go to:
  1. PCSX2 Emulator
  • Roms

I wanted to skip choosing the emulator so that when I select the Playstation 2 category it goes straight to the rom library. I was thinkiing that maybe an option to choose the default file launcher would achieve this.

I could post a video to clarify if necessary

Thanks

Smile
(2014-05-10, 15:21)Viperveteran Wrote: With regards to the first question I was referring to launching from within your program. So when I open your program I have a list of console categories

[Categories] PS2
I click the Playstation 2 and then I go to:
  1. PCSX2 Emulator
  • Roms

I wanted to skip choosing the emulator so that when I select the Playstation 2 category it goes straight to the rom library. I was thinkiing that maybe an option to choose the default file launcher would achieve this.

I could post a video to clarify if necessary

Thanks

Smile
No that enough clear. Thanks. Why do you not want to use a favourite? A favourite will allow you do to exactly what you want (starting directly a launcher of Advanced Launcher)?
LOL I didn't actually know you could do it that way... I just tried the favourites method but it seems significantly slower to load than the method I was using previously. Would you be able to test which method is faster as I am not sure if it is just my computer.
(2014-05-10, 15:43)Viperveteran Wrote: LOL I didn't actually know you could do it that way... I just tried the favourites method but it seems significantly slower to load than the method I was using previously. Would you be able to test which method is faster as I am not sure if it is just my computer.
By using favourties you can directly start any category, any launcher or any item from Advanced Launcher.

It could be a little slower using the favourite because you need to start Advanced Launcher then display the launcher content. With "your other method", Advanced Launcher is already started you just have to display the launcher content, so it could be a little faster. But even adding the feature into Advanced Launcher will not make the process faster. You will always need to start Advanced launcher and display the launcher content.
So basically I have been using the wrong method

I have a menu Item set to launch advanced launcher which I call games, this has categories for all my emulators and a separate category for all my PC games; so when I launch games it brings me to Advanced Launcher with the aforementioned categories and I just have to enter the category and select a launcher (for PC Game category) for roms I select a launcher then a rom.

How you intended it to operate is not to solely operate from custom categories in the "root" of Advanced Launcher but to use the default category to place your favourited launchers and categories in there then link those favourited items to the main menu.

Is that correct?
(2014-05-10, 16:28)Viperveteran Wrote: So basically I have been using the wrong method

I have a menu Item set to launch advanced launcher which I call games, this has categories for all my emulators and a separate category for all my PC games; so when I launch games it brings me to Advanced Launcher with the aforementioned categories and I just have to enter the category and select a launcher (for PC Game category) for roms I select a launcher then a rom.

How you intended it to operate is not to solely operate from custom categories in the "root" of Advanced Launcher but to use the default category to place your favourited launchers and categories in there then link those favourited items to the main menu.

Is that correct?
Hum.... You organise them as you want. There is not one way to use Advanced Launcher. It will depend of your needs. Personnaly my setup for games is like this :

Code:
Advanced Launcher
    [GAMES category]
        [ARCADE launcher] (mame)
            game1
            game2
            etc...
        [PC GAMES launcher] (shortcuts)
            game1
            game2
            etc...
        [SNES launcher] (snes9x)
            game1
            game2
            etc...
        [ETC...]
    [WEBSITES category]
    [COMICS category]
    [APPLICATIONS category]
    [MANGAS category]
    [FAVOURITES category]
    [ETC...]

Then into XBMC I have added a menu entry named GAMES based to an XBMC favourite pointing to the GAMES category. I never use the defaut GAMES entry of the XBMC skin because they pointing to the Advanced Launcher root directory... but Advanced Launcher in not a game add-on. But as you see I also use Advanced Launcher categories for : websites, comics, applications (steam, hulu, google tv), mangas. favourites, etc... I don't use the default category and I never start Advanced Launcher from its root directory. The default category only contain testing launchers and is most of the time hidden. But that's personnaly the way I use it...

Your setup is also good if you only want to use Advanced Launcher for games. For a basic use, you can setup it like me :

Code:
Advanced Launcher
    [GAMES category]
        [ARCADE launcher] (mame)
            game1
            game2
            etc...

But if you want something more dedicated to games and more developed you can set it up like this :
Code:
Advanced Launcher
    [ARCADE category]
        game1
        game2
         etc...
    [PC category]
        [GAME1 standalone launcher]
        [GAME2 standalone launcher]
         etc...
    [PS1 category]
        [EPSXE launcher]
            game1
            game2
             etc...
        [RETROPLAYER launcher]
            game1
            game2
             etc...
    [PS2 category]
        [JAPANESE launcher] (pcsx2)
            game1
            game2
             etc...
        [US launcher] (pcsx2)
            game1
            game2
             etc...

Depending if you want to order your games by emulator, coutry of origin, etc... That's you who decide how to use it. If you want to use the default category (and start it directly) and create inside favourite's launcher pointing to other categories or other launchers... You can do it. There is no limit and no right way to use it.
Thanks for your detailed response.

Your last example is the same one that I use already Big Grin

Code:
[Advanced Launcher] [Labelled Games on main menu]
           [PS2 Category]¬
                                   [PCSX2.EXE]¬
                                                        [Games.ISO]

[PSX Category]¬
                                   [EPSXE.EXE]¬
                                                         [Games.ISO]

[PC Games]¬
                               [Game.EXE]

I was wondering whether it would be possible to include an option to auto select or set as default launcher ex.[PCSX2.EXE] for the users who use the same structured method and only use one launcher system as me in your next update.

Code:
           [PS2 Category]¬
                                   [PCSX2.exe Auto select *Default*] -->[Games.ISO]

[PSX Category]¬                      
                                  [EPSXE.exe Auto select *Default*]-->[Games.ISO]

[PC Games]¬
                                 [Game.exe]

For comics and other non gaming launchers (I haven't set up yet) I would use the favourite method but I will put them into the default category and link them on the main menu and then hide the default category.

Code:
           [PS2 Category]¬
                                   [PCSX2.exe Auto select *Default*] -->[Games.ISO]

[PSX Category]¬                      
                                  [EPSXE.exe Auto select *Default*]-->[Games.ISO]

[PC Games]¬
                                 [Game.exe]

Hidden [Default]¬
                       [Browser 1]
                       [Comic Reader]

The main menu would look like this I think

Code:
Main Menu
<Games> <Movies> <Comics> <Browsers>

Another question I have... Does XBMC Limit you to only hiding the items that you have marked complete or are you able to code Advanced Launcher to hide anything if you wanted to?

Thanks for taking the time to respond
  • 389(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[CLOSED] Advanced Launcher - Applications Launcher Addon for XBMC24