Restarting XBMC after killing pid or after hangs
Hi all.. I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 and XBMC plays video files fine and I got a few other things working while browsing these forums.. However there is one issue that I would like to know the answer to..

Sometimes when I hit I guess the \ key on my keyboard the whole thing would freeze.. but when this happens i usually drop down to another terminal and issue a reboot but I'm sure there has to be another way.

Currently, my XBMC is set to boot up automatically when the computer boots and skips the gnome desktop completely.

So.. anyone know the commands I would need to restart it with the command line?
funcoland Wrote:Hi all.. I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 and XBMC plays video files fine and I got a few other things working while browsing these forums.. However there is one issue that I would like to know the answer to..

Sometimes when I hit I guess the \ key on my keyboard the whole thing would freeze.. but when this happens i usually drop down to another terminal and issue a reboot but I'm sure there has to be another way.

Currently, my XBMC is set to boot up automatically when the computer boots and skips the gnome desktop completely.

So.. anyone know the commands I would need to restart it with the command line?

I use a script I found somewhere(thanks to whoever wrote it) here that kills XBMC. copy and paste the following into a file called killxbmc.sh save it then mark it as executable. If XBMC is full screen you'll have to open a terminal window using ctl-alt-f4, login then run it by typing ./killxmbc.sh from wherever you saved the file. Type ctl-alt-f7 to get back to your desktop then you can reload XBMC.

echo "XBMC already dead! (soft)"
exit
fi

# takes a second or two to die with the soft kill
sleep 2

# Test to see if it's still running
if ps -ef|grep -v grep|grep -i xbmc.bin
then
# If it's still around, kill it -9
ps aux|grep -i ken|grep -v grep|grep -i xbmc.bin|awk '{print $2}'|xargs kill -9
echo `date` "Killed XBMC! (hard)" >> /home/ken/Temp/killXBMC.log
else