Recommend me a router/switch and question about server
I think it's time to upgrade my trusty startech 5-port hub lol. I usually max out at 500kb/s but with my samsung C650 HDTV attached to the network I was capping at about 200kb/s even though the TV was off! Would a switch help in this case? Also, would upgrading to a wireless router be a wise move? I have absolutely no need for wireless right now but I may in the future? I may be getting an iphone in a couple of months but that's the only thing I can think of.

As for needing a server, what's stopping me from loading up my PC with HDs versus building a dedicated server? I can fit atleast 5 HDs in my current case and with 2tb and 3-4tb on the way that's a lot of space! I just added a 2tb WD green myself(not jumpered as I'm running win 7).
That's the type of setup that I use. I have my main pc running windows 7. Its a pretty beefy rig that I use for 3d graphics. It has an i7-930 processor so I don't notice any lag on the main pc when I'm streaming from it.

The benefit of a dedicated server or NAS would be redundancy. A NAS would really help to protect your data in the case of drive failure. Also a server or NAS running windows server can support many more clients than your run of the mill windows OS.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
Bryson Wrote:Would a switch help in this case?

Yeah, that is what I would do. Get a gigabit switch and hang that off your current router, then plug everything into the switch and leave nothing plugged in your router/hub (except the switch). Many good gigabit switches in the market, I like my Dlink one.

Quote:As for needing a server, what's stopping me from loading up my PC with HDs versus building a dedicated server?

Three things:

1. Your desktop has to be on always for it to work. Not a big deal for some people.

2. You get no redundancy

3. No pooled storage (aka make all your HDs one big partition instead of many small ones)

4. Eventually, you out grow it but it is hard to outgrow a 20bay Norco server.

Not really a big deal on any point, and I think using your PC as a temporary server is a great stopgap until you can afford to buy a dedicated server. It is much better than trying to put storage on the HTPC.

htpc guy Wrote:That's the type of setup that I use. I have my main pc running windows 7. Its a pretty beefy rig that I use for 3d graphics. It has an i7-930 processor so I don't notice any lag on the main pc when I'm streaming from it.

If you don't mind my asking, how much media do you have and what do you do about redundancy? I've almost filled up my 2tb WD since the time of this post. My ISP is going to love me. Big Grin

I just read about running flexraid with windows 7. While I don't know anything about it yet, if I could run my media drives in raid for redundancy like unraid provides, that would be great.

My quadcore based desktop is always on anyways, for downloading 24/7, web browsing and playing games occasionally. Haven't done much PC gaming since getting the new plasma! Wink It just seems more economically sound, space and $$ wise than running a desktop + server.
I was in the exact same situation about a year ago and bought a linksys gigabit switch and invested in a unraid server. I was lucky enough to have a spare mobo and processor for the setup as well as 5 1Tb hdd for starting up (from old thecus rig). I just saved up and got the 20 drive norco case. Now I just add on 2tb drives as I need space or when I see them down around $85. Been perfect so far the case was expensive but much easier to deal with in the long run and worth every penny.
HTPC, Pop Corn C200, 10Tb+ UnRaid server w/Norco case, Integra Pre Amp, Paradigm Signature Surround Sound System, JVC RS2 projector to 131" widescreen
If you would like you could also build your own little nice NAS box.
By buying micro atx board based on atom or via cpu and a nice cabinet.
Then install FreeNAS OS onto it. I have friend who has built some fantastic
rigs on this system. and FreeNAS has alotta features.

I'm pondering about doing this myself, just need to find components that
fits FreeNAS.

Their forums are active and contains alott of usefull info about hardware supported.

Here is what im thinking for my NAS:

1. MOTHERBOARD:
http://www.via.com.tw/en/resources/press...se_no=2027
support for up to eight S-ATA II ports with 1.5Gbits/sec and 3Gbits/sec data transfer rates,
and for Native Command Queuing. Network support includes Gigabit Ethernet ports and an
optional integrated IEEE-802.11g VIA wireless module.
supports up to 1GB of DDR2 system memory, integrated VIA Unichrome™ Pro Integrated Graphics,
an onboard IDE connector, a type-I Compact Flash slot, two COM ports and up to 6 USB 2.0 ports.
The unique 19cm x 14.3 cm form factor matches that of a standard optical drive bay for easy
deployment in standard disk drive chassis. VIA C7 1.5 GHz processor with optional fanless
VIA Eden-based skus available
This has everything you need for a NAS.

2. RAID
Im also trying to find a PCIe card with proper hardware RAID for the above motherboard. As this gives
me more speed and better redundancy.

3. CABINET
http://www.addonics.com/products/nas/nas..._ideu2.asp
This gives me one 5.25 goes to the VIA board. That leaves me with 3 storage slots, config
would depend on chosen RAID system.

4. STORAGE
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/product...racuda_xt/

im still thinking if this is the best way to go, but i really want to build something with FreeNAS
as a base OS - and with this i can run FreeNAS of a CF card Smile
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
I run a NetGear GS-108 switch (I think) - 8 port gigabit. Works a treat for me and was pretty cheap. NetGear's switches are always good for the money in my experience.
defiler Wrote:I run a NetGear GS-108 switch (I think) - 8 port gigabit. Works a treat for me and was pretty cheap. NetGear's switches are always good for the money in my experience.

I run a NetGear GS-105 (the 5 port version) and it works great for me too! Cool
The-Boxhead Wrote:If you would like you could also build your own little nice NAS box.
By buying micro atx board based on atom or via cpu and a nice cabinet.
Then install FreeNAS OS onto it. I have friend who has built some fantastic
rigs on this system. and FreeNAS has alotta features.

I'm pondering about doing this myself, just need to find components that
fits FreeNAS.

Their forums are active and contains alott of usefull info about hardware supported.

Here is what im thinking for my NAS:

1. MOTHERBOARD:
http://www.via.com.tw/en/resources/press...se_no=2027
support for up to eight S-ATA II ports with 1.5Gbits/sec and 3Gbits/sec data transfer rates,
and for Native Command Queuing. Network support includes Gigabit Ethernet ports and an
optional integrated IEEE-802.11g VIA wireless module.
supports up to 1GB of DDR2 system memory, integrated VIA Unichrome™ Pro Integrated Graphics,
an onboard IDE connector, a type-I Compact Flash slot, two COM ports and up to 6 USB 2.0 ports.
The unique 19cm x 14.3 cm form factor matches that of a standard optical drive bay for easy
deployment in standard disk drive chassis. VIA C7 1.5 GHz processor with optional fanless
VIA Eden-based skus available
This has everything you need for a NAS.

2. RAID
Im also trying to find a PCIe card with proper hardware RAID for the above motherboard. As this gives
me more speed and better redundancy.

3. CABINET
http://www.addonics.com/products/nas/nas..._ideu2.asp
This gives me one 5.25 goes to the VIA board. That leaves me with 3 storage slots, config
would depend on chosen RAID system.

4. STORAGE
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/product...racuda_xt/

im still thinking if this is the best way to go, but i really want to build something with FreeNAS
as a base OS - and with this i can run FreeNAS of a CF card Smile

I run FreeNAS and am a member of the FreeNAS forums. I am needing to upgrade to the latest builds because I am lagging behind... but need to find some time to do this. Nerd
Interesting motherboard you have there. I went for a low-power AthlonII X3 (45W peak), but the VIA devices are very good for a low-wattage system. Does it come with flying leads to plug in a monitor, or you'll have a job setting it up?

I'd be looking to do something similar to what I've done here - run some form of Linux, and set the boot partition to be a solid-state device. Doesn't have to be big, as it's just holding the kernel. That lets you put *all* the data onto a SoftRAID-protected drive. The boot partition only gets written to when the kernel is updated, and is only read during boot, so it can be a cheap piece of crap.

Don't know what performance you'll get on SoftRAID (md) with this board, but I don't imagine you'd get less than 100MB/sec on a sustained read or write. That's plenty for a single HD video stream, and if you chuck lots of memory at it you could conceivably squeeze 3 out of it simultaneously.

If you're looking at this device to do clever things like transcoding, forget about it. Overnight HandBrake jobs sould work, but they will take a long time on the VIA processor.

I put Fedora on mine. Didn't even think to look for a packaged NAS product, so I don't know anything about FreeNAS. It keeps things very flexible for me, but if you just want a big in to chuck files into I can't see you going wrong with FreeNAS.

How does this board mount in the case? Do you have to dremel the hell out of a drive bay or will it just bolt onto the standard fittings?
Look at SuperMicro for some good atom based server boards.

I built myself an UNRAID box a few months ago using a SuperMicro X7SPA-HF.

Mini ITX
Intel Atom D510
6x SATA Ports
IPMI....by far its best feature...
Internal USB port (an actual port not just the headder pins, handy since UNRAID boots of a USB sick)

Can't believe how good a match this board is with UNRAID.

Even better, it Looks like they have an updated version now with the ATOM D525 processor.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommend me a router/switch and question about server0