Best way to transfer files between two NAS drives?
I recently purchased a new NAS drive (QNAP TS-212) and am currently transferring everything from my old NAS (Iomega home media drive) to the new one. I've been using my laptop to transfer the files over. Is there a more direct method that will eliminate the need for my laptop? Some way to access both NAS drives and have them connect directly instead of using my laptop as an intermediary. I'm getting about 750 KB/Second and it's showing over a week left.
It looks like the iomega support sharing files via ftp, while i doubt it has support for fxp it's worth giving it a shot (according to this thread the qnap seems to support it). Download an ftp client that supports fxp (flashfxp comes to mind) and give that a shot. If that doesn't work the next best bet is probably to install a command line ftp client on the qnap and use that to pull files from the iomega. I haven't specifically checked but i'd be shocked if some sort of ftp client isn't available in their optware repository. Instructions for installing ipkg for the qnap are here: http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Install_Optware_IPKG

*edit*

I just noticed the qnap seems to support mounting external drives via usb, have you tried plugging the iomega into the qnap via usb and using the web file manager on the qnap to copy files directly? That seems like the best bet if it is possible.
If you've got physical access to both drives, then the best way of transferring files is with them physically connected. If you're transferring ridiculous amounts of data, I would be tempted to open up both drives and connect them to SATA ports inside a desktop machine. However, I have a bad habit for voiding warranties, so I suggest you try the USB connection, like touser said, first.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best way to transfer files between two NAS drives?0