DirecTV> Sound Card > Receiver. Question about SPDIF in and out
I've done some searching on here and on google, and haven't been able to find an answer for my situation.

I'm running an older Denon HTIB for my surround. I'm limited to one digital coax input and one digital optical input on the receiver (and no HDMI inputs). As it currently stands my Xbox 360 is connected to the digital optical input on the receiver while my DirecTV DVR is connected to the digital coax input.

Originally I was using the 360 as MCE with my HTPC serving my movies and shows through MediaBrowser on Win 7 MC. I was converting all my audio streams on mkv to AC3 just to be able to play it all that way. It worked, but I hate WMC, it's just too slow and it's not exactly eye pleasing. So I put XBMC on windows since I'm using an ATI 56xx card.

My situation is this: I was looking at a cheap Diamond XS7.1 card because of the digital coax output. I'm not sure I can use a Y adapter for the two outputs into one. (Due to input voltage, resistance, etc etc). If so, then that is the much easier route for me, albeit probably not the best. I know I can use a simple A>B switch to go between the Sat and the HTPC. Works, but requires me to get off the couch each time to switch. Not exactly what I want lol.

Considering the Diamond has a coax input AND output, would it be possible to hook the DirecTV to the digital coax input on the card and then the digital coax out on the card to my receiver? Would the sound card passthrough the digital stream from the directv box to my receiver? If so, is this handled automatically by the sound card, or do I have to change some setting in software?
Three things:

1. No, PC passthrough won't work. As in it is not handled automatically or in any easy way I can think of that wouldn't require entering and exiting XBMC.

2. I have two of those Diamond cards and even though I love them for Linux (LOVE), I cannot get them to passthrough DTS in Windows 7 correctly. The driver is inadequate.

I can confirm that one of these offers DTS and AC3 passthrough in Windows 7:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

3. Finally, to fix your main problem- I would get one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000234...RP1BJH2V6X

And rig my Logitech Harmony so that when I switch between the TV inputs it also switches the optical input on that switch. You can teach a Harmony its remote signals easy, and then it would be so simple anyone could use your stuff. And heck, that would give you one more optical for something in the future!

HUGE help for me. I really thank you for your answer. Helped me out a ton.

On another note, what do you recommend for a 7.1 sound card that works well w/ Windows7 32-bit? And will support DTS and AC3 passthrough?

I'd like to be able to watch DVDs off my HTPC and support DD-EX and DTS-ES w/ my HTIB.
After doing some more reading even though that creative USB is 5.1 surround, it should be able to passthrough any DD-EX and DTS-ES stream untouched correct? Since it's a matrixed channel, it shouldn't be any different then sending a normal DTS or AC3 stream, right?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DirecTV> Sound Card > Receiver. Question about SPDIF in and out0