PVR Build
Hi, I would like to build a XBMC box for PVR use. I would like to have the system files on a SSD, and my media stored on a HDD. Other than that I am not to particular. Mainly I would be viewing HD tv from a directv receiver, and a second input from a cable source. My downloaded shows and movies would be mostly 720p with some 1080p. No 3d in the forseable future.

Recommendations are appreciated. I could happily follow the great sticky, but I was hoping to get some input from anyone who might have tried and had good success with PVR builds.

Thank you.
My original plan was to build a Video recorder with my build in my sig. I still havent got a dual tuner card as of yet. Everything else works perfectly. The PVR part came to a halt when I discovered that tuner card doesnt decode many channels from cable. Unless you buy an expensive decoder card or use the box to change the channel then you don't have the option of programming recordings. It would pause and fast forward Tv though. But still interested and learning.
I'm a little confused on exactly what you plan on recording.

Do you want to record a HDTV signal that is output from your DirecTV box?

I sounds like you're also planning on connecting a cable TV signal as well, correct? Is your cable analog or digital? What stations do you want to record?
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
Thanks for the replies guys.

Wsume99 sorry I am always terrible at explaining myself. You are basically correct. I would like to use the hd signal from my directv box so I can record shows and pause live tv. As well I have cable, but the signal coming in would not be from my cable box but just the coax itself. It's a digital signal, generally I would be recording shows on NBC, ABC, CBS Etc....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR Build0