[LINUX] IR/Lirc on s1-at5nm10e
Larry_Lobster Wrote:Just to clear this up: You can shutdown the operating system and it's possible to start the machine by using the remote control? You are not in S3 mode or something like this?

I just can't get it working, too. I use a Harmony Remote Control. Does anyone know which profile I can use or how to achieve my aim to start the Asus Barebone by using this remote control?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards
Larry_Lobster

Ok, I finally solved the problem that my S1-AT5NM10E doesn't go to Suspend/Hibernate mode...

for those of you who are interested in the solution (Ubuntu Maverick):
You have to put xhci_hcd onto the blacklist.

Create the file /etc/pm/config.d/unload_modules (if it doesn't exist) and add this:
PHP Code:
SUSPEND_MODULES="$SUSPEND_MODULES xhci_hcd" 

The file has to be executable:
PHP Code:
sudo chmod +/etc/pm/config.d/unload_modules 

Hope this helps...

Kind regards
Larry_Lobster
I use the MCE Setting for my Harmony 300. I can switch on the s1, even if it's powered down. But still, the Remote won't work in XBMC.
Hi All,

Update from me, I have managed to get IR working, but as mentioned by kozzie above I have to reconfigure lirc after rebooting the computer with (sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc)

My original problems were related to the remote. I have had success using a MCE remote. Look at your .conf files you might need to add additional remote config files.

I am not sure why I have to reconfigure on each reboot, the config files don't change, I need to work out what it is doing to make it start working.

My problem with power management, system would not suspend or hibernate, was related to a know USB3.0 Driver issue. I created the file /etc/pm/config.d/unload_module it was a single line in it to disable xhci during suspend.

Code:
SUSPEND_MODULES="xhci"

I am running my system installed from the current live CD Linux 10.04 and XBMC 10.

Cheers,
Beau
Hey Beau,

great to read that. Did you try it the way kozzie mentioned?
And - sorry for my question - what .conf files do you refer to?

Greetings,

Chris
chmanie Wrote:I use the MCE Setting for my Harmony 300. I can switch on the s1, even if it's powered down. But still, the Remote won't work in XBMC.

After we chatted yesterday I tried it again from off mode... and it works... don't know why... but it works... Laugh

Last problem we have to solve is lirc... Looks like there are solutions for Lucid but I have not heard of someone getting this running on Maverick.
I managed to put online a wiki page for this little box.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...1-AT5NM10E

Perhaps you all could write down your experiences. Would be great so other users could participate in our progress.
chmanie Wrote:I managed to put online a wiki page for this little box.

Perhaps you all could write down your experiences. Would be great so other users could participate in our progress.

Great idea! Big Grin
I have talked to the LIRC maintainer...

The nuvoton-cir drivers don't support the chip id of the CIR chip used in the Asus S1-AT5NM10E.

I will try to rebuild the module in order to change the supported CHIP-IDs as a quick fix...

So the driver feels responsible for our device... but maybe there are some significant changes in this chipset, so the driver has to be adjusted...

In this case we have to wait for a patch provided by the lirc team. The maintainer will contact Nuvoton in order to get to know what's the difference between the cips used in the ASRock ION330HT and the one used in this Asus barebone.

You can follow the discussion here: http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/X...k0FFkz3Pgf

Kind regards
Larry_Lobster
Update:

After changing the Chip-IDs supported by the driver, the hardware has been detected. Anyway, irw and mode2 didn't detect any button presses.

The conclusion is that this hardware is not compatible with the current nuvoton driver. The LIRC maintainer is going to talk to his Nuvoton contact in order to get information what's the difference between the chipsets.

News could have been better, I know...
Hi Larry,

Is this just in relation to running under Maverick? (10.10) or is this also the cause of the issues of needing to run a lirc reconfiguration after a reboot on Lucid (10.04)?

Cheers,
Beau
kozzie Wrote:Works perfect untill I reboot. Then I need a reconfigure:

PHP Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc 

It will work till the next reboot...

Sad

Well, I have got one small tip which makes this a bit easier and also makes it possible to make it automatically:

In the file "/etc/lirc/hardware.conf" Change "false" to "true" in this line:
Code:
FORCE_NONINTERACTIVE_RECONFIGURATION="false"

Then the reconfiguration will be noninteractive, obviously. But ... the reconfiguration automatically changes back true to false again! Doh!
OK, but the change can be done by sed (as root):
Code:
sed -e 's/^FORCE_NONINTERACTIVE_RECONFIGURATION="false"$/FORCE_NONINTERACTIVE_RECONFIGURATION="true"/' /etc/lirc/hardware.conf > /tmp/h.conf
chmod +x /tmp/h.conf
mv /tmp/h.conf /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
dpkg-reconfigure lirc
Put the code into /etc/rc.local and the remote will work even after a reboot.
All well again!
Wob Wrote:Hi Larry,

Is this just in relation to running under Maverick? (10.10) or is this also the cause of the issues of needing to run a lirc reconfiguration after a reboot on Lucid (10.04)?

Cheers,
Beau

The lirc maintainer says that it's impossible to run the ir device of the Asus S1 with ANY Ubuntu (an Linux in general) release.

Maybe the chipset of the S1 barebones is different. that's the reason why I it would be very helpful to paste your dmesg output here, because obciously some people got this one working on Linux... I just would like to understand why as there is no suitable driver available.
Hi Larry,

Well, it's working for me, but as I have mentioned, I have to reconfigure it after each reboot. I did attempt to upgrade to the latest lirc but it doesn't appear to support the ir device.

I just followed the steps to install the nuvoton drivers as per the ASROCK threads. It worked fine with a MCE remote after that.

Details;
lircd 0.8.6
Linux 3 2.6.32-26-generic

On reboot before dpkg-reconfigure lirc
Code:
dmesg | grep -i lirc
[   10.521890] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
[   10.526053] lirc_wb677 w677hga: chip id high: 0xa5 expect:0xb4
[   10.526065] lirc_wb677 w677hga: chip id low: 0x13
[   10.527336] lirc_dev: lirc_register_driver: sample_rate: 0

After dpkg-reconfigure lirc
Code:
dmesg | grep -i lirc
[   10.521890] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
[   10.526053] lirc_wb677 w677hga: chip id high: 0xa5 expect:0xb4
[   10.526065] lirc_wb677 w677hga: chip id low: 0x13
[   10.527336] lirc_dev: lirc_register_driver: sample_rate: 0
[  194.106585] lirc_wb677_cir 00:0a: disabled
[  196.735148] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
[  196.742335] lirc_wb677_cir 00:0a: activated
[  196.742394] lirc_wb677 w677hga: chip id high: 0xa5 expect:0xb4
[  196.742405] lirc_wb677 w677hga: chip id low: 0x13
[  196.743304] lirc_dev: lirc_register_driver: sample_rate: 0
chmanie Wrote:I managed to put online a wiki page for this little box.

Hi folks

I am running Maverick on this box. Kernel version is 2.6.35-25. The method described in the wiki seems to be specific to kernel version 2.6.32-25? Am I correct or can I use this fix anyhow?

Alternatively can I use the method goodmode suggested?

dpkg -i winbond drivers from asrock x86.deb

Thanks

kcsc
Larry_Lobster Wrote:Just to clear this up: You can shutdown the operating system and it's possible to start the machine by using the remote control? You are not in S3 mode or something like this?

I just can't get it working, too. I use a Harmony Remote Control. Does anyone know which profile I can use or how to achieve my aim to start the Asus Barebone by using this remote control?

I have found that my MCE remote will work to power this box on, but only if the box was shut down properly within Ubuntu, If something plays up and I have to power off by holding down the front panel button, I can't power back up with the remote.

kcsc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] IR/Lirc on s1-at5nm10e0