Help me choose an OS for HTPC
Hello -

I have been using XBMC on an old Xbox for about six years now, and just now am starting to "modernize" by building a HTPC. Of course (!), the only purpose of this HTPC is going to be to run XBMC on it.

My question to you is - and I don't mean to start a big flame war here - which OS should I install on this box to host XBMC, or should I just boot the LiveCD from my drive (a SSD)? I've got a few days to think about it, as my order from Newegg does not come in until later this week.

From an OS perspective, I have XP and Vista licenses that I could devote to it. I am very comfortable with the Unix/Linux world, which makes me lean towards perhaps Linux Mint. But - other than setting the box up - I don't intend on doing anything other than XBMC with this box. And last, I do have a Windows Home Server ... but I've had no problems to date attaching to this from particularly Linux Mint.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks,

Brett
If all you are using the machine for is xbmc, then I think live is your best option.
For ease of use Windows gets the nod.

On the other hand if you are well adapt at Linux you may as well go that route then. The good thing about Linux is that you can tweak your hardware so it will do exactly what you want it to. For example, the manual for my motherboard specifically states that you must set the sound output to either HDMI or Optical out. It will not play sound through both ports. This is true, in Windows. In Linux you can create an asound.conf file in the home directory that will enable sound to both. This is a huge advantage because you don't have to change settings in the OS or XBMC. Simply turn the stereo off for tv sound and on for surround. It makes it feel much more like an appliance than a computer.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
brny21 Wrote:Hello -

I have been using XBMC on an old Xbox for about six years now, and just now am starting to "modernize" by building a HTPC. Of course (!), the only purpose of this HTPC is going to be to run XBMC on it.

My question to you is - and I don't mean to start a big flame war here - which OS should I install on this box to host XBMC, or should I just boot the LiveCD from my drive (a SSD)? I've got a few days to think about it, as my order from Newegg does not come in until later this week.

From an OS perspective, I have XP and Vista licenses that I could devote to it. I am very comfortable with the Unix/Linux world, which makes me lean towards perhaps Linux Mint. But - other than setting the box up - I don't intend on doing anything other than XBMC with this box. And last, I do have a Windows Home Server ... but I've had no problems to date attaching to this from particularly Linux Mint.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks,

Brett

It would seem obvious.....Is this post for real?
You say you want an OS just to run XBMC and you say you are comfortable with linux yet for some reason you feel the need to first install mint. All this for the sole purpose of XBMC.

So......my thoughts and suggestion?

You're a nut and you should install XBMC Live.
Well FishOil I was hoping to hear options along the lines of encrypted Blu-Ray playback, etc ... things that XBMC cannot provide in itself.
htpc guy Wrote:For ease of use Windows gets the nod.

On the other hand if you are well adapt at Linux you may as well go that route then. The good thing about Linux is that you can tweak your hardware so it will do exactly what you want it to. For example, the manual for my motherboard specifically states that you must set the sound output to either HDMI or Optical out. It will not play sound through both ports. This is true, in Windows. In Linux you can create an asound.conf file in the home directory that will enable sound to both. This is a huge advantage because you don't have to change settings in the OS or XBMC. Simply turn the stereo off for tv sound and on for surround. It makes it feel much more like an appliance than a computer.

Thanks for this. That's the kind of thing that I envision having issues with in the end ... as you stated very well, I want an appliance rather than a computer (the whole wife acceptance factor thing!). I'm trying to do everything the right way (buying a sharp looking case, making sure I have an IR receiver that my universal remote can already use, etc). The more that I can do this in one OS over another, the more likely I am to use this thing.
brny21 Wrote:Well FishOil I was hoping to hear options along the lines of encrypted Blu-Ray playback, etc ... things that XBMC cannot provide in itself.

Ok there slick. Maybe this will help.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34655
If you're looking for the appliance experience, installing the LIVE distro on your SSD is really the best way to go. Any workarounds that allow for non-native XBMC features like Netflix or encrypted BluRay playback will 'break' that seamless appliance experience, so if those are critical features, then you should re-think your approach.

I have 2 Asrock 330 boxes running XBMC Live installed (Dharma beta 3 at the moment) / Aeon MQ2 skin and the wife just absolutely LOVES it.
boykster Wrote:If you're looking for the appliance experience, installing the LIVE distro on your SSD is really the best way to go. Any workarounds that allow for non-native XBMC features like Netflix or encrypted BluRay playback will 'break' that seamless appliance experience, so if those are critical features, then you should re-think your approach.

I have 2 Asrock 330 boxes running XBMC Live installed (Dharma beta 3 at the moment) / Aeon MQ2 skin and the wife just absolutely LOVES it.

True, I agree it does seem that I keep seeing external workarounds that defeat the purpose of the remote-controlled HTPC experience. The Netflix/encrypted Blu-Ray void is not a big deal to me, the earliest problem that I anticipate is probably going to be along the lines of a CableCard TV tuner. Ceton has a card out now (only works with WMC), and the HDHomeRun offering (Prime) has no anticipated release date and it also sounds like anything open source will not be able to view its streams. While I anticipate being happy now (and the wife, too!) this is the one thing that - 6+ months from now - may steer me elsewhere (back to WMC, for example).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help me choose an OS for HTPC0