Jerky 50Hz video
Hello.
It seems that xbmc is not able to play 50Hz video correctly.
My video card refresh rate is set to 50Hz. I can right play 25Hz video but the 50Hz are all jerky with sound desynchronized.
I have a video sample, but it seems not possible to attach file.

Thank you for your feedback.
_
Windows Vista / Dharma RC1
Upload it to somehwere like mediafire then link from here.
Here it is http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2577678/Vid%C3%A9os%20fps.zip
There are two file 25fps and 50fps both show be played smoothly.
Testing with the liveCD gives me the same issue.
I tried the liveCD on other hardware (which is not my HTPC) and all was played well.
So it seems to be linked with the HTPC hardware.
This is the first time I use XBMC. I'm used to play with Mediaportal without such issue. But now, I prefer XBMC which is faster and nicer Big Grin

Below my HTPC hardware details. Thanks for your help.

AOpen MiniPC MP965-DR

Motherboard SMBios version 2.4
AOpen i965GMx-IF 558EX10I690
Bios: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 10/03/2008 taille: 1024Kb
Chipset Northbridge: Intel GM965
Southbridge: Intel 82801HBM (ICH8-ME)
Processor Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T8300 Penryn Socket P (478) (@45 nm) 2400 Mhz ( L1I: 2 x 32 Ko, L1D: 2 x 32 Ko, L2: 3072 Ko )
Memory Mémoire physique totale: 2048 Mo, Type: DDR2, @332.6MHz, 4.0-4-4-12--1T
DDR2 G.Skill F2-5300CL4-1GBSA 1024 Mo PC2-5300 (333 Mhz)
DDR2 G.Skill F2-5300CL4-1GBSA 1024 Mo PC2-5300 (333 Mhz)
Graphics card Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family
IDE devices ST9200420AS 3.AAA (SATA, 186.31 Go, tampon: 16 Mo)
CDRom MATSHITADVD-RAM UJ-875S 1.00 (DVD-RAM Recorder)
Harddrive ST9200420AS ATA Device
PCI/AGP cards Stockage
Intel Corporation:82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller:
Intel Corporation:82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA IDE Controller:
Réseau
Intel Corporation:82566MM Gigabit Network Connection:
Affichage
Intel Corporation:Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller:
Intel Corporation:Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller:
Multimedia
Intel Corporation:82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller:
Ponts
Intel Corporation:Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub:
Intel Corporation:82801 Mobile PCI Bridge
Intel Corporation:82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller:
Bus Series
Intel Corporation:82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4:
Intel Corporation:82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5:
Intel Corporation:82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2:
Intel Corporation:82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1:
Intel Corporation:82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2:
Intel Corporation:82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3:
Intel Corporation:82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1:
Intel Corporation:82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller:
Agere Systems:FW322/323:
USB peripheral Jing-Mold Enterprise Co., Ltd Périphérique USB composite
Jing-Mold Enterprise Co., Ltd Périphérique d'interface utilisateur USB
Jing-Mold Enterprise Co., Ltd Périphérique d'interface utilisateur USB
Feature Integration Technology Inc. (Fintek) F71610 or F71612 Consumer Infrared Receiver/Transceiver (Récepteur infrarouge eHome (USBCIR))
Keyboard Touches de clavier de contrôle à distance Microsoft eHome
Clavier MCIR Microsoft eHome
Clavier 109 MCIR Microsoft eHome
Périphérique clavier PIH
Mouse Souris HID
Souris HID
Screen(s) Moniteur Plug-and-Play générique( SHARP HDMI)
Lightbulb 
I have almost solved my problem. Interesting monologue, isn't it ?

Use this link http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2577678/All%20Videos%20fps.zip to download all my test videos. They show a vertical line moving from right to left. Each of one has a specific FPS rate.

What is it for ? With those samples you can check the player rendering quality.

You can see 3 kinds of rendering quality issue:
i1/ the moving of the line is jerky but with a constant speed
i2/ the moving is sometime accelerated, the line seems to jump (and of course you will have sound desynchronized)
i3/ the line is torn (looks like a stair)

You can have all this issue at the same time.

What does it mean ?
a1/ The refresh rate of your video card is not the same as the video file. This is why XBMC has a setting which change the video card refresh according the video file and the TV capabilities (Try the sample file with the same fps as your video card refresh rate)
a2/ Well, I don't know really why. But the fact that disable this XBMC option (use a fullscreen windows rather than true fullscreen) improve this problem :confused2:
a3/ The vertical sync is not activated during video playing. There is an option in XBMC too.

To go back to the first post. Now playing the 50fps video file on my 50Hz system is almost perfect. It's really smoothly but I still have one little acceleration at the beginning. Same result with Seven.
Again with Mediaportal on the same hardware, the rendering is absolutely perfect.

Can someone explain to me the point a2 and the difference with Mediaportal.

I've tried all this points with the livecd, it was impossible for me to solve the issue i2. Any idea :confused2:

Hope this help, and that someone else can help too. Smile
Thank you.
Viald Wrote:a2/ Well, I don't know really why. But the fact that disable this XBMC option (use a fullscreen windows rather than true fullscreen) improve this problem :confused2:
Can someone explain to me the point a2

In Windows the fastest way to render graphics is with DirectX fullscreen mode. This gives XBMC the most direct route to the screen. However fullscreen mode has a few limitations. It can't share the screen with any other app, so if any other app gets the focus, e.g. something in the system tray or an app running on a second screen, true fullscreen XBMC is forced to minimise.

If you enable the "use a fullscreen window ..." option XBMC uses a window sized to fill the screen instead of DirectX fullscreen mode. This allows it to share the display with other apps, however it is slower at rendering graphics. Exactly why this has the effect it does on your test videos I don't know.

JR
I have similar problem

here my log http://pastebin.com/c92zG90d

I'm playing a DivX files with ac-3 audio straem. The movie play jerky continuos
Just for reference.. the AOpen MiniPC MP965-DR can't do any rendering (not even gui) at higher than 40ish fps if it's set to output at 1080p. Ie you can't even play the smallest res xvid at that output resolution. It's a memory bandwidth issue with opengl/d3d.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thank you Jhsrennie, and thank you Elupus for your feedback.
Elupus, perhaps you are right, but this does not explain why Mediaportal is able perfect rendering at the same resolution and frame rate.
Mediaportal uses DirectShow, which probably enables some hardware acceleration like an overlay to convert yuv to rgb. xbmc can't take advantage of that and relies on the CPU (software renderer) or GPU (pixel shaders).

You can try reducing your display resolution, make sure the scaler is 'bilinear', try switching between software renderer and pixel shaders renderer.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
CrystalP Wrote:You can try reducing your display resolution
I absolutly need at least 1080i for playing my personnel video. But I have tested video files at 720i and I still have the same issue ! Very strange, does it mean it's not an hardware issue but really xbmc poor performance or bug ?

CrystalP Wrote:make sure the scaler is 'bilinear'.
Where can I control this default setting ?

CrystalP Wrote:You try switching between software renderer and pixel shaders renderer.
Both give me the same result

What about running the linux release on ubuntu ? Should this improve the rendering ?

Thank you
I have run Live-USB of R2. Same problem of windows. In this state is unsuseful. Sad
CrystalP Wrote:Mediaportal uses DirectShow, which probably enables some hardware acceleration like an overlay to convert yuv to rgb. xbmc can't take advantage of that and relies on the CPU (software renderer) or GPU (pixel shaders).

You can try reducing your display resolution, make sure the scaler is 'bilinear', try switching between software renderer and pixel shaders renderer.

Don't use DirectShow on windows OS, I suppose are a limit. I have tested too live with ubuntu, divx play jerkly. Is time to change core player?Nod
Thank you Roby.one. Such a bad news ! I have to use back Mediaportal even if the GUI is less beautiful.
The goal of building its own HTPC is to have the best rendering as possible, nothing else.

I'm very disappointed. Do the XBMC developers have plan to change the core player ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jerky 50Hz video0