ONE TB Drives
Is it worth buying 1TB drives ? Newegg.ca has a Samsung 1TB drive at $60. This is surely a good price. I am going to need the space soon...

But the real limiting factor comes with the number of Sata sockets on my board...

Do you think that we are at the point where you should only buy 2TB drives ?

(Of course there is the question of reliabity of the current 2TB drives; in reviews there seem to be a lot of reports of failures.
Buy what ever is at the best $/Gb.

That being said Samsung drives are great and very reliable in my experience and are all I use in my NAS's now.
Older OS's (2000/2003/XP) struggle with Advanced Format 2TB drives... 4K clusters.. not sure on reliability... I recently had 2 x 1TB drives fail... but they are dirt cheap at the moment... my server runs Windows Home Server which is technically Server 2003 so I settled on 1.5TB drives, they were cheaper £/Gb than 2TB drives.
Yes only buy 2tb, they are cheapest per gig.
fishypops Wrote:But the real limiting factor comes with the number of Sata sockets on my board...

Exactly. When you consider price per socket, 2TB is the only way to go. In fact, even last year 1.5TBs were better deals. 1TB was 2008.

The question is: What 2TB drive?

I have almost every consumer 1.5tb and 2tb drive in my Unraid array: 1.5TB Seagate 7200RPM, 1.5TB Seagate 5900 RPM, 1.5TB WD Green, 2TB WD Green, 1.5TB Black (being RMAed right now though), 1.5TB Samsung EcoGreen, 2TB Samsung EcoGreen, 2TB 7200RPM Hitachi, 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT- only missing 2TB WD Black and 2TB 5900RM Seagate.

Out of those my favorite is the 2TB 7200RPM Seagate of course, but those things are pricy. I use mine as a parity drive. For the price I like the 2TB WD Green best because it runs cool and gives a jumper option to avoid 4k (which is needed for Unraid/XP), plus it is plenty fast. My second favorite is the 2TB 7200RPM Hitachi (hotter, but almost as fast as Barracuda XT for way less).

Least favorites are the Samsungs and the Seagate 5900RPM drive. The Seagate because of firmware problems, look it up those drives suck for now (LOVE their 7200RPM drives though). The Samsungs because they report incorrect temps and they are slower than the WD Greens...

poofyhairguy Wrote:For the price I like the 2TB WD Green best because it runs cool and gives a jumper option to avoid 4k (which is needed for Unraid/XP), plus it is plenty fast.

Quick Qs as I am using mainly 2TB WD Green drives:

1) With my Win7/Flexraid setting, do I need to worry about avoiding 4k or is that purely an issue with Unraid/XP?

2) Can I set the jumper with a full disk or only with an empty one?

3) How would I need to set the jumper?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
steve1977 Wrote:Quick Qs as I am using mainly 2TB WD Green drives:

1) With my Win7/Flexraid setting, do I need to worry about avoiding 4k or is that purely an issue with Unraid/XP?

2) Can I set the jumper with a full disk or only with an empty one?

3) How would I need to set the jumper?

1 - Older OS's such as XP, 2000 and 2003. not sure on Unraid.. Vista, Win7 and Server 2008 are not affected.

2 - Do it prior to deployment

3 - I'd check the instructions or the setting displayed on the drive label.

Wink
You don't need to but for future reference:

steve1977 Wrote:3) How would I need to set the jumper?

poofyhairguy Wrote:You don't need to but for future reference:

]

Doesnt need too? Huh - he would in an XP/2003 machine! Confused

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ONE TB Drives0