• 7(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO install Crustalbuntu minimal image to internal Apple TV harddrive
What is the latest and greatest of these images for installing Linux on ATV1?
Would be great if someone has a link Big Grin
Good question but this forum is no used...Sad
No one answer to any question...
superdust Wrote:What is the latest and greatest of these images for installing Linux on ATV1?
Would be great if someone has a link Big Grin

Pin's image has not been updated since the version linked to in post # 1 of this thread.

Once installed you can, if you like, update xbmc and crystalhd drivers.

Works great for me.
AFTV Stick 4K
AFTV (Gen 1)
I want to reinstall all the image on the HD.
I used "sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4096 count=1M"
to erase all partition and deleted all.
Now when the USB with image on it tell me that /dev/sdb3 doesn't exist dropping to a shell...Sad
I can't now connect using putty...
menan Wrote:anyone have a fix for this? I am still not able to get it going.

Thanks

same problem!! Please help usSad
Andy S2K Wrote:I want to reinstall all the image on the HD.
I used "sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4096 count=1M"
to erase all partition and deleted all.
Now when the USB with image on it tell me that /dev/sdb3 doesn't exist dropping to a shell...Sad
I can't now connect using putty...

You missed a step in Bandit's guide.
Code:
[CODE]

sudo nano tmp/com.apple.Boot.plist

###Change the line near the bottom that says /dev/sdbX to /dev/sdaX, Just change the b to an a, leave the number the same. CTRL O + Enter to write out and CTRL X to exit###[/CODE]

If you can find a way to edit com.apple.Boot.plist on your USB drive, you need to edit that file to point to sda instead of sdb.
(I'm not sure if it's sda1 sda2 sda3 etc but trial and error is always an option!)
You used dd so I assume you have access to a linux box? Otherwise you may still be able to telnet to your apple tv and edit the com.apple.Boot.plist that way.

Good luck!
AFTV Stick 4K
AFTV (Gen 1)
I used dd command when i had the linux image on the HD and i want to reinstall all because high frames drop.....then using this I format all the HD and when i recreate the image on the USB i begin having problem, BUT:

Everything solvedWink
I don't know how but the problem is in the USB key image.
I used the same image, the same PC windows 7 and the same usb image tool on the same USB key 8 gb!!!!
I try using the terminal Mac command using my Imac and all works great.
I think that there was a problem with the file system. PC Windows doesn't ricognize the mac extended so I used the NTFS....
How have we to power of the Apple TV with xbmc?
Have I to use the power off button of the xbmc or can I shout down using the power cord?
I don't know how linux works because with windows the shut down is important.....
With this xbmc linux installation we don't have a linux power off button....
You press shutdown in XBMC and when the system halts you can disconnect the power cable
ok but if i press the shutdown in XBMC usually the screen goes black and led on apple tv remain yellow.....then i disconnect the power cable.
Sometimes if i press the same shutdown button the screen goes black and a good amount of linux code begin to come and the last line says something like: The linux is power off and you can power off safety.....
The word are not these but the sense yes....
How is possibile that everytime i power off i have somethig different?
Is it right the black screen without nothing or the linux code on black screen?
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO install Crustalbuntu minimal image to internal Apple TV harddrive2