• 4(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO install Crustalbuntu minimal image to internal Apple TV harddrive
Jimmer Wrote:in a ssh session run (cut and paste is probably best)

Code:
more /home/xbmc/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log | grep dds

should return:

<useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>

If it does, then it's turned on and that's it. You probably are experiencing the initial slowdown as your art is cached. If not, I would not use textedit, since you don't know what funky things it may be doing with what appears to be whitespace.... in a ssh session, run

Jim

Thanks Jim, this is exactly what is happening. The little ATV is now rockin' along playing 1080p easily and everything is so much more fluid!!
One happy camper right here!!!
I have tried this 4 times I think and for some reason I do not even get a bootable patchstick. My ATV boots up but I get the whole ATV screen. When I ssh into the machine the only way to login is frontrow.

The first time used a thumb drive that was not large enough, the last 3 times I used a 16GB drive and still no bootable patchstick. I also tried all three of the images listed in the OP.

Any ideas? I used the usbit program to image the patchstick from my windooz laptop. I don't think there is any of the U3 stuff on the 16GB stick, I can't see it and there is no little U3 icon in the tray when I insert the stick into a slot.

I don't think I missed any of the steps from the OP.

irritating it is.

Thanks
sar_scarab Wrote:I have tried this 4 times I think and for some reason I do not even get a bootable patchstick. My ATV boots up but I get the whole ATV screen. When I ssh into the machine the only way to login is frontrow. Thanks

This is for installing the Linux image to your ATV not making a patchstick.
It will also wipe the Apple OS off your ATV.

You must have a working patchstick prior to attempting to install to your HDD.
It is possible your USB stick is too small, or not compatible.

Read here first: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=74992

PS- Soon there will be a self installing image... you might want to wait.
JDizzy Wrote:This is for installing the Linux image to your ATV not making a patchstick.
It will also wipe the Apple OS off your ATV.

You must have a working patchstick prior to attempting to install to your HDD.
It is possible your USB stick is too small, or not compatible.

Read here first: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=74992

PS- Soon there will be a self installing image... you might want to wait.

Jdizzy, I understand that the end goal is to put the image on the ATV HD but so far I can't get the darn patchstick to be bootable. I have built the patchstick before about 5 months ago with xbmc and it was bootable and had no problem getting that to work. I just can't get this one to boot. I even read about 50 pages of Sam Nazarko's post you show in the link. The self-install image was mentioned several months ago wasn't it?

I have used the U3 uninstall tools and the sbit tool to image the stick. One stick is a a 4GB and the 2nd stick is kingston 16GB. the stuff is driving me nuts.
Is there anyway to move the zip file from a laptop to the ATV and install from there in effect bypassing the patchstick?

Thanks for your reply.
I got the atv to boot up on this image from a patchstick. hooray. Quite an accomplishment for me.

Now for the next question:
My ATV is stock hardware wise. I would like to set up a wireless connection to my local router with WEP security. Has anyone done that? If so can you point me to the doc's and I will muddle thru it.

Right now I have the Ubuntu ATV hardwired into the router but need the wireless setup. I will need command information since I have no GUI on the ATV

Thanks
Thanks for the Post Sam:

Having a bit of a problem however. When doing "print all" and get the following results.

Model: Kingston DataTraveler G3 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 16.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 20.5kB 35.7MB 35.7MB hfs+ primary atvrecv
2 35.7MB 3291MB 3255MB ext3 primary
3 3291MB 4010MB 719MB linux-swap primary

For some reason I'm not getting the Boot partition. Any idea as to why?
Sad 
i was able to get the atv booted but after "transf" or something like that...its sits on black screen for very long time...and the light on atv keeps blinking...is that normal? how long should i wait? how long does the normal boot take? if it an error,what could be causing it?

Thank you
Question 
Is there an XBMC Wiki article on Crystalbuntu installation? If not how about creating one and updating it accordingly over time? It's a real pain to read through theses forum posts trying to understand the installation sequence.
Backend: Windows 7 file share + MySql on wired 1GB
Frontend 1: ATV OSX 3.02 w/CHD 012 + XBMC Dharma 10.0 + CHD r174 on wired FE
Frontend 2: Intel Atom 330/2Gb/ATI HD4350 + Windows 7 + XBMC Dharma 10.0 with DXVA + MySql DB on wired 1GB
Does anyone have any pointers for how to image this file directly to the internal hard drive from within Windows?

Maybe I should just install Linux and be done with it.

-Wes
Exclamation 
when i boot off with the patchstick i get error
Code:
Check root- bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
        or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
ALERT! /dev/sdb3 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs) _

(_ is blinking)

after while it goes into blank screen and the amber light on atv flashes
Nice Tut Bandit Kaine! Thanks (& Sam)

I loaded pin78's img to the HD and updated the XBMC + CHD drivers. But when i go to play a video the whole screen goes black and i need to restart the ATV.

If any one can point me in the right direction that would be nice. I don't know how to begin to diagnose this
kodi 16.1 Transparency! v9.1.2
Ubuntu-Gnome 14.04
Hardware: Corei7 /w R9 290 OC & 256gb SSD (OS) + 5TB SMB shares
ok, im going to follow this guide, just one question though, how can I update to the latest stable release? Its running fine on the usb now, but I want to install it to the hdd.

Is ssh the only way to update and edit files?
Metsadah Wrote:ok, im going to follow this guide, just one question though, how can I update to the latest stable release?

See here;

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=571...tcount=671

Metsadah Wrote:Its running fine on the usb now, but I want to install it to the hdd. Is ssh the only way to update and edit files?

Yes
I'm having trouble with the last part:

Code:
sudo parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary ext3 236m 38.9GB
sudo cp /dev/sdb3 /dev/sda3
sudo parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary linux-swap 38.9GB 40.0GB
sudo cp /dev/sdb4 /dev/sda4
sudo e2fsck -f /dev/sda3
sudo resize2fs /dev/sda3
sudo tune2fs -j /dev/sda3
reboot

After the first line of code I get the warning: The closest location we can manage is 3248MB to 159GB. Is this still acceptable to you?

I also didnt get a warning that my partition needed fixing, while it was only 8 gigs big. So i started parted and did print all and got the warning after all. But I dont get that warning, especcially since I cant really answer it with a y or n.

What should I do?

Ok, I went on with it, but now it says the following:

Code:
Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name                  Flags
1      20.5kB  210MB   210MB   fat32        EFI System Partition  boot
2      210MB   236MB   26.1MB  hfs+         Recovery              atvrecv
3      236MB   2736MB  2500MB  ext3
4      2736MB  3248MB  512MB   linux-swap
5      158GB   160GB   2042MB               primary

So I think I ended up with one partition too many and the resizing of sda3 didnt go as planned. How can I fix this. (everything runs great from the hdd though, but I still like the space, planning to put my itunes library on it.)
JDizzy Wrote:Thanks!

I used the above tutorial and installed Linux and XBMC on my AppleTV.

I also had to use the following to get all my HD usable:

I then used the tutorial below to update to Dharma RC1 and CrystalHD r156.

After the update I then added the "use dds' to advanced settings and my little box is rockin!
I'm one happy camper!! Big Grin
Thanks again to all for your time and effort.....

**EDIT** - just changed script to install CrystalHD due to report of it not working. This one should!

after the install of xbmc my system froze and rebooted unexpected. It got stuck while booting though, so now im repeating the whole process again. Did you update while having the usb stick in, because I updated while running it off my hdd with the usb stick out.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO install Crustalbuntu minimal image to internal Apple TV harddrive2