• 5(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO install Crustalbuntu minimal image to internal Apple TV harddrive
Add on problems: I downloaded the latest version on 12-30-10. Two questions:
1. How do I find out what version I'm using? (previous posts site older xbmc program)
2. I got errors when installing zip files for add ons (Microsoft channel 9, XBMC Zone installer). I created a directory off the root and tried to add zip file and then added it as a source. When I tried to run it, I got "installation failed" errors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. this is an excellent application, and I appreciate all the effort that is put into it. I'm trying to learn more, but am not sure where to start. I would like to get a basic understanding and will be looking into scripting and python (one little chunk at a time).
Metsadah Wrote:I'm having trouble with the last part:

Code:
sudo parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary ext3 236m 38.9GB
sudo cp /dev/sdb3 /dev/sda3
sudo parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary linux-swap 38.9GB 40.0GB
sudo cp /dev/sdb4 /dev/sda4
sudo e2fsck -f /dev/sda3
sudo resize2fs /dev/sda3
sudo tune2fs -j /dev/sda3
reboot

After the first line of code I get the warning: The closest location we can manage is 3248MB to 159GB. Is this still acceptable to you?

I also didnt get a warning that my partition needed fixing, while it was only 8 gigs big. So i started parted and did print all and got the warning after all. But I dont get that warning, especcially since I cant really answer it with a y or n.

What should I do?

Ok, I went on with it, but now it says the following:

Code:
Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name                  Flags
1      20.5kB  210MB   210MB   fat32        EFI System Partition  boot
2      210MB   236MB   26.1MB  hfs+         Recovery              atvrecv
3      236MB   2736MB  2500MB  ext3
4      2736MB  3248MB  512MB   linux-swap
5      158GB   160GB   2042MB               primary

So I think I ended up with one partition too many and the resizing of sda3 didnt go as planned. How can I fix this. (everything runs great from the hdd though, but I still like the space, planning to put my itunes library on it.)

Hey I poochied my install a couple of times. You have to many partitions then the tut specifies. Best thing would be to redo the usb drive and start from scratch. I have a 160gb as well. It looks like you messed up the partition and tryed it twice. No biggy just start over. plus with the 160gb hdd the command should be
sudo parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary linux-swap 158.9GB 160.0GB
kodi 16.1 Transparency! v9.1.2
Ubuntu-Gnome 14.04
Hardware: Corei7 /w R9 290 OC & 256gb SSD (OS) + 5TB SMB shares
im retrying it and I dont get any weird error when using mkpart to resize sda3, so Im hopefull Smile

crazy how fast you pick some stuff up, at first they were just commands i copied and pasted and now I get the meaning by about 50% of them. Its fun to learn this stuff. Smile No regrets about selling my popcornhour

edit:

Ok the install was completely succesfull this time, but while updating xbmc according to this post: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=571...tcount=671 it crashes after it did succesfully install xbmc. (crashed while trying to update broadcom drivers)

Now it is stuck while booting again. I guess I can repeat the whole process again Sad

edit3: OK, its not stuck at booting. Boots just fine Smile I need to be more patient.

How can I check what version of XBMC I have and how can I upgrade or downgrade. Also, how can I check my version nr of the drivers for the crystal broadcom card
Has anyone had any luck with HDMI audio using this image? Most everything worked instantly, except I have no sound from any source over my HDMI cable. I updated xbmc using 'apt get install xbmc', and set the appropriate audio output settings, but playback provides a popup saying "failed to initialize audio device".

Someone not familiar with XBMC on the aTV from #xbmc suggested I run these commands, which seems to suggest some missing alsa configuration (?): http://pastebin.com/F5NJ26Wq

Analog audio works over composite cables works, when analog output is selected.

Any ideas?
I've got mine setup and it works great. Thank you everyone for your hard work.

I have one part missing. I would like to get my Harmony remote working and be able to program more buttons than just the Menu, Enter, and Arrow buttons. Does anyone have a solution for this, with or without using the AppleTV's IR?
I have run the install twice i believe cleanly and i can't get any video playback on the atv with linux/chd update. Here is the updated pastebin.

I have wrestled with this and loosin'
kodi 16.1 Transparency! v9.1.2
Ubuntu-Gnome 14.04
Hardware: Corei7 /w R9 290 OC & 256gb SSD (OS) + 5TB SMB shares
How do I enable dds? I know I have to edit a file called advancesettings.xml, but how can I do that and where is the file located?

also: I get a black screen sometimes when exiting big movie files (like plus 4gb) and xbmc hangs for about 2 min. Is there any way to fix that?
Metsadah Wrote:How do I enable dds? I know I have to edit a file called advancesettings.xml, but how can I do that and where is the file located?

The file is not there, you must create it in a text editor. you would write:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
        <useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
</advancedsettings>

and save the file as advancedsettings.xml and upload it to the userdata directory in xbmc.
Goetterdaemmeru Wrote:Has anyone had any luck with HDMI audio using this image? Most everything worked instantly, except I have no sound from any source over my HDMI cable. I updated xbmc using 'apt get install xbmc', and set the appropriate audio output settings, but playback provides a popup saying "failed to initialize audio device".

Someone not familiar with XBMC on the aTV from #xbmc suggested I run these commands, which seems to suggest some missing alsa configuration (?): http://pastebin.com/F5NJ26Wq

Analog audio works over composite cables works, when analog output is selected.

Any ideas?

This was solved by adding this line to /etc/modprobe.d/options:

Code:
options snd-hda-intel model=imac24

Audio output set to HDMI; audio output device set to 'Custom'; custom audio device set to 'plughw:0,3'.
Metsadah Wrote:after the install of xbmc my system froze and rebooted unexpected. It got stuck while booting though, so now im repeating the whole process again. Did you update while having the usb stick in, because I updated while running it off my hdd with the usb stick out.

I had Pins image working on a USB stick and booted the ATV with the stick plugged in.
Then installed it (with USB stick plugged in) to the ATV HDD using first tutorial.

Then, once booted off of, and running off the ATV HDD, to update to Dharma and latest CrystalHD, I just ssh in and used the second tutorial without USB stick plugged in.
Tnx guys for all the quick responses. I have everything working including several addons like apple trailers. Just build my music library by copying all of my itunes songs to the apple tv via filezilla. Going to do the same for iphoto. I have dds enabled. Playback of 720p content is mostly good, it can stutter the first 30 seconds, but after that its smooth except for maybe one or two dropped frames per 10 minutes. 1080p is far from smooth, but is watchable nonetheless.

The only thing that bothers me is that I sometimes have these weird timeouts when starting a file or exiting one. My apple tv freezes for about 2 minutes before it starts a video or in case of exiting the video gives a timeout.

If the problem keeps happening I might post my log file.
Metsadah Wrote:Tnx guys for all the quick responses. I have everything working including several addons like apple trailers. Just build my music library by copying all of my itunes songs to the apple tv via filezilla. Going to do the same for iphoto. I have dds enabled. Playback of 720p content is mostly good, it can stutter the first 30 seconds, but after that its smooth except for maybe one or two dropped frames per 10 minutes. 1080p is far from smooth, but is watchable nonetheless.

The only thing that bothers me is that I sometimes have these weird timeouts when starting a file or exiting one. My apple tv freezes for about 2 minutes before it starts a video or in case of exiting the video gives a timeout.

If the problem keeps happening I might post my log file.

Do you have a Crystal HD card?
most definately, and I have them enabled.

Are there any video settings that I can adjust to fit my needs better?
No. My Crystal HD arrives tomorrow, and I'm expecting much better performance than that :/. I expect 720p to be effortless, and 1080p to be smooth.
Awesome walkthrough start to finish, the only tweak I needed was disabled the vertical sync because videos kept crashing, now its running like a champ
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO install Crustalbuntu minimal image to internal Apple TV harddrive2