• 2(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO install Crustalbuntu minimal image to internal Apple TV harddrive
ddingle Wrote:One more thing is that the tutorial is assigning 1GB+ to sda4 swap, but top only shows 499992k available and swapoff & resize2fs doesn't work on swap's sda4.. and I'm a linux noob so have no idea how to change that
Code:
xbmc@AppleTV:~$ sudo swapoff /dev/sda4
xbmc@AppleTV:~$ sudo resize2fs /dev/sda4
resize2fs 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)
resize2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda4
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.
so there is a bit of wasted space going on for swap, but who cares really as there is plenty still anyway for 1080p etc. Just making a note of it.

swap is not ext2 format so resize2fs will not work on it.
nevermind
jthunder Wrote:I am experiencing drop frame problems when trying to play a 1080p blueray rip using the latest Dharma RC1 release, CrystalHD 174, and the Apple TV.

I have installed PIN's minimal xbmc-linux image to the Apple TV to the internal 40gb drive using the latest instructions. I have updated xbmc and crystalhd drivers/firmware.

I am using the component cables to my 720p capable set, and optical cables to the DTS capable AVR. I have a custom xorg.conf to enable 720 as per the ATV-bootloader instructions, and selected the iec948 audio device to get optical pass-through audio.

The media is stored on an SMB share over 100mb wired network.

The video appears to start ok, then after a few seconds starts dropping frames.

I am wondering if this is due to the high bitrate of the source video (even with the crystalhd it can't handle it?) or something else?

Here are the logs:

DMESG - http://pastebin.com/HQAQJTvw
xbmc.log - http://pastebin.com/FYaPK1zi
mediainfo - http://pastebin.com/4dCmBvhe
xorg.conf - http://pastebin.com/echgBRx1

The same video file plays fine over the same network using my ion Acer revo.

Thank you very much for the help.

JT

I don't see

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

in your xorg.conf
Thanks, I added the section to xorg.conf and I get the same problem. What should the "Playback" video settings be set to?

Do the "CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available" seem related?

Thanks.

jt
Thanks!

I used the above tutorial and installed Linux and XBMC on my AppleTV.

I also had to use the following to get all my HD usable:
Quote: resize2fs /dev/sda3
tune2fs -j /dev/sda3

I then used the tutorial below to update to Dharma RC1 and CrystalHD r156.
Quote:#update XBMC to latest nightly for the first time, do this:
echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu hardy main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.org.list
echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu hardy main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.org.list
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys CEC06767

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install python-qt3

sudo apt-get install xbmc

#if above 'install xbmc' doesn't complete, use "-f"
sudo apt-get install -f

#update XBMC going forward will only require this: if there is an update, it will ask if you want to install it
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

#Update CrystalHD Drivers to recommended r156 (note, to use a different driver revision, just change the numbers)
svn checkout --revision 156 http://crystalhd-for-osx.googlecode.com/svn/trunk crystalhd-r156
cd crystalhd-r156/crystalhd/linux_lib/libcrystalhd
make
sudo make install
cd ../../driver/linux
autoconf
./configure
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe crystalhd
cd ../../../../
sudo rm -rf crystalhd-r156/

#Reboot Your box
reboot

After the update I then added the "use dds' to advanced settings and my little box is rockin!
I'm one happy camper!! Big Grin
Thanks again to all for your time and effort.....

**EDIT** - just changed script to install CrystalHD due to report of it not working. This one should!
Wow, I had no idea about that dds stuff until you mentioned it JDizzy. What a huge difference that made, thanks!
mbetter Wrote:Wow, I had no idea about that dds stuff until you mentioned it JDizzy. What a huge difference that made, thanks!

Yeah, it does take disk space though... using the USB stick I couldn't use it but finally I can!

You have to go through your list of movies slow enough to show the fanart, then move to next one, then the next, etc, etc....

The DDS will slowly add the images and once done, you can really fly through them without much pause (if any).
JDizzy Wrote:Yeah, it does take disk space though... using the USB stick I couldn't use it but finally I can!

You have to go through your list of movies slow enough to show the fanart, then move to next one, then the next, etc, etc....

The DDS will slowly add the images and once done, you can really fly through them without much pause (if any).

Yeah, that took me a few minutes to do.. but, now that it's done, it's like night and day.

I'm really tempted to put together a guide combining all of these guides. If I had the whole plan laid out, this all could have been done in a single night.
Thumbs Up 
Bandit_Kaine thank you so much for putting up this tutorial. I'm certain I'm not the only one who found it very annoying that when asking how to do this, we were given only bits and pieces of information which served only to confuse us more. Following your tutorial I finally got it all running on my HDD, something that I have wanted to do for months, in matter of less than an hour.

Awesome job!
My little app seems to be allowing users to click and install distros on USBs or the internal drive perfectly good, so hold off on the guides, there'll soon be an app that does it all.
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:My little app seems to be allowing users to click and install distros on USBs or the internal drive perfectly good, so hold off on the guides, there'll soon be an app that does it all.

Sam,
Can we use your app and write right over what we have installed manually? I have only Linux and XBMC on Apple TV HDD. Thanks!
JDizzy,
Can you let me know how you enabled DDS Fanart.
Where do I put the advanced settings.xml? When I SSh in I cannot find my userdata folder on my USB stick.
Be kind as I am still coming to grips with all things linux.
I am using Pin's image on an ATV on a 8Gb stick but am about to throw it onto the internal ATV harddisk when I get some time.

Cheers
kevthemilkman Wrote:JDizzy,
Where do I put the advanced settings.xml? When I SSh in I cannot find my userdata folder on my USB stick.
I am using Pin's image on an ATV on a 8Gb stick but am about to throw it onto the internal ATV harddisk when I get some time.

Cheers

When you SSH in, you'll be in the XBMC user's home folder (/home/xbmc/). You need to put the advancedsettings.xml (no space) in /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/.
kevthemilkman Wrote:JDizzy,

Cheers

I would start here:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...figuration

Read through that. It also depends on what system you run but my userdata folder is located at:
Quote:/home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata

You have to create the advancedsettings.xml file and enter the lines:
Quote:<advancedsettings>
<useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
</advancedsettings>

A word to the wise: DO NOT use this on your stick!
I read another post a while back by someone who did... I think it was titled:
8GB Thumbdrive + DDS fanart = Oops!!

Not to say you won't be fine.... But buyer beware!

As Sam said above, he is working on an app and image that will automate putting this all on your HD... your call.
Well, I couldn't leave good enough alone. I used the guide to install Ubuntu and XBMC live on my ATV. I was also successful in moving the image to the hard drive. All was good (1080p mkv with DTS audio worked). I then followed JDizzy's post to upgrade to RC1 and CrystalHD 1.74. XBMC no longer loads the crystal driver (no crystall option in the xbmc render box no 1080 playback).

I got the following error when using the code noted in JDizzy's post to upgrade the driver (sudo make install)
mkdir -p /usr/lib
mkdir -p /lib/firmware
mkdir -p /usr/include/libcrystalhd
cp libcrystalhd_if.h /usr/include/libcrystalhd/
cp ../../include/bc_dts_defs.h /usr/include/libcrystalhd/
cp ../../include/bc_dts_types.h /usr/include/libcrystalhd/
cp ../../include/libcrystalhd_version.h /usr/include/libcrystalhd/
cp ../../firmware/fwbin/70012/bcm70012fw.bin /lib/firmware/
cp ../../firmware/fwbin/70015/bcm70015fw.bin /lib/firmware/
install -m 755 libcrystalhd.so.3.6 /usr/lib
install: cannot stat `libcrystalhd.so.3.6': No such file or directory
make: *** [install] Error

The rest of the code seems to work without errors. Upon reboot, I get the following when checking for the driver install
xbmc@AppleTV:~$ sudo dmesg | grep -i crystal
[ 58.715900] Loading crystalhd v3.8.0
[ 59.562630] crystalhd 0000:02:00.0: Starting Device:0x1612

Also when I check XBMC Crash log I see the following error

00:36:22 T:3043694432 M:197074944 ERROR: Unable to load libcrystalhd.so.3, reason: libcrystalhd.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Most of this Linux stuff is way over my head, I'm hoping for some easily corrected silly mistake. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO install Crustalbuntu minimal image to internal Apple TV harddrive2