Stacking DVD folders
A million apologies if this has been answered/solved. I have spent the last 2 days reading the forums and tinkering to no avail.

Background:
- Large ripped DVD archive (4 TB) via WinXP SMB (includes mostly main movie VOB, IFO's, etc)
- Use Roku Photobridge to play DVDs on TV's (using MPlay)
- Use Boxee or XBMC to play DVDs on PC's - DVD's play no problem when I choose the IFO file
- Also, occasional streaming via Orb server or copying to my kids Archos for on-the-go
- Like the fact I do not have to recode or rename anything, can simply burn to DVD when needed, files also available via FTP server

Ok, so I recently acquired a 1st generation AppleTV 160GB. Considering giving to my in-laws to be able to show the kids movies when the little ones are over there. Simple clean interface.

Hacked AppleTV (3.0.2) and installed XBMC and Boxee. Worked fine on my local network to play from SMB.

First question was how to stream from my server over the internet (have FiOS :^). Didn't want to have to copy all the movies over (although I enabled the FTP server on the aTV). Didn't want to set up a VPN.

Found out that while not suggested, XBMC WILL stream via FTP. Yay.

HOWEVER, choosing the IFO file will NOT start the DVD. Clicking on an individual VOB will play, but does not play the next file in the sequence.

Did not want to do a library scan (some folders are not named correctly for the scraping). Learned about STACKING of movie folders. But the VOB's are not STACKING together.

Learned about advancedsettings.xml. Found lots of stuff for TV episodes, but not a lot for straight DVD movies that worked. Played with regexp trying to get a series of VOB files to show up as one file that can be played. Hours lost. Close to despair. Now seeking help.

Any ideas of the regexp for moviestacking that will collapse any folder with VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, etc, into ONE VOB FILE TO PLAYHuh?

Thanks in advance for your guidance and wisdom....
scans Wrote:First question was how to stream from my server over the internet (have FiOS :^). Didn't want to have to copy all the movies over (although I enabled the FTP server on the aTV). Didn't want to set up a VPN.

I would suggest FTP as it is the only up to date method of streaming over the internet that is capable of using the source to build a library from. I am currently doing this, although all of my files are avi, mkv, mp4, ect... I have a 35up/35down Fios connection and bandwidth is NOT an issue, I have about 10 that stream from me and I never notice the hit on my network unless I am viewing a graph that details it.

As to how to play a ripped DVD folder. You need to right click the folder your movie is in and choose play. It will automagicly find all the files and begin. I would actually suggest at the least to rename the folders for each movie in the following manner.
Blade.Runner[1982]
When you run the scanner for your library make sure you have "use folder names for lookups". This should add all of your movies into the library and allow you to click and play without the need to right click or browse to find the IFO file.

UPNP or DLNA should also be possible if a VPN is setup, such as Hamachi which is a ZEROCONFIG VPN. The problem with DLNA or UPNP is that it is not able to be scanned for the Library and you will be back to the right click method of browsing for the IFO file. I used this method for a while and works well if the user does not want XBMC or is too dumb to use anything but WMP12.

What speed FIOS connection do you have and where are you located. Check your PM's I have written you in there, please respond to this question in there.
Well, I found my answer in the forums. Essentially FTP shares cannot stack because they do not automatically look in the subfolders to determine the content. DVD ISO's would work, however, to autoplay.... hmmm....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stacking DVD folders0