UPnP Media Server sorts music alphabetically?
jhsrennie Wrote:http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10974

JR

To help the developers could you try two other test builds?

If you look on http://swarchive.ratsauce.co.uk/XBMC/ you'll see three builds of the XBMC.exe file:

XBMC-no-sort.exe
XBMC-sort-file.exe
XBMC-sort-path.exe

The first one, XBMC-no-sort.exe, is the one without any sorting i.e. it's the one you've already tried. Can you download and try XBMC-sort-file.exe and XBMC-sort-path.exe.

XBMC-sort-file.exe sorts the output from the uPnP server by file name, so it should sort correctly if your tracks are named something like "01-track one.mp3", "02-track two.mp3" etc. XBMC-sort-path.exe sorts by the full file name including all the directories. This might be needed if the uPnP query returned tracks from two albums e.g.

Album One\01 - track one.mp3
Album One\02 - track two.mp3
etc
Album Two\01 - track one.mp3

The full path sort should return the tracks in album them track order.

Can you try the sort-file and sort-path builds and see how well they work. I'll update the TRAC ticket with the results. Just download the two files into the C:\Program Files\XBMC directory and run them without renaming them by double-click in Explorer or however. They should run fine. I've made the build info different for each file so you can easily tell which build you're running.

Thanks,

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:To help the developers could you try two other test builds?

If you look on http://swarchive.ratsauce.co.uk/XBMC/ you'll see three builds of the XBMC.exe file:

XBMC-no-sort.exe
XBMC-sort-file.exe
XBMC-sort-path.exe

The first one, XBMC-no-sort.exe, is the one without any sorting i.e. it's the one you've already tried. Can you download and try XBMC-sort-file.exe and XBMC-sort-path.exe.

XBMC-sort-file.exe sorts the output from the uPnP server by file name, so it should sort correctly if your tracks are named something like "01-track one.mp3", "02-track two.mp3" etc. XBMC-sort-path.exe sorts by the full file name including all the directories. This might be needed if the uPnP query returned tracks from two albums e.g.

Album One\01 - track one.mp3
Album One\02 - track two.mp3
etc
Album Two\01 - track one.mp3

The full path sort should return the tracks in album them track order.

Can you try the sort-file and sort-path builds and see how well they work. I'll update the TRAC ticket with the results. Just download the two files into the C:\Program Files\XBMC directory and run them without renaming them by double-click in Explorer or however. They should run fine. I've made the build info different for each file so you can easily tell which build you're running.

Thanks,

JR

Hi,
tested all three files and all works fine, meaning that the tracks are sorted in the correct order.

Can you tell me what changes you have made (for the no-sort option) and in which file so I can try to make the same custom version for Ubuntu?
thanks.
http://trac.xbmc.org/browser/branches/Dh....cpp#L1032

I simply commented out the line:

Code:
items.Sort(SORT_METHOD_LABEL, SORT_ORDER_ASC);

To make it sort by the full path, which seems the most satisfactory option change the line to:

Code:
items.Sort(SORT_METHOD_FULLPATH, SORT_ORDER_ASC);

JR
Well, it's a bit disappointing. The bug is easy to reproduce and there is a fix, presented by jhsrennie, but neither 10.1 nor the nightly builds fixed the problem. Is nobody using the UPnP feature? I cannot believe, that nobody but me is annoyed by this bug.
@Developers: Can you please fix it?
My fix causes problems for streams, where there isn't a filename. The simplest solution is just to remove the sorting completely. There was a bit of discussion about whether or not to do this, and I can't remember what the outcome was.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:My fix causes problems for streams, where there isn't a filename. The simplest solution is just to remove the sorting completely. There was a bit of discussion about whether or not to do this, and I can't remember what the outcome was.

JR

Thanks for the update, JR.

I do understand, that if the fix breaks something else, it did not go into 10.1.
On the other hand, some other fix caused the problem with UPnP sorting since 10.0. That feature worked in the beta versions before the launch of 10.0.

So, what can be the solution to the problem? Nobody wants to listen to music CDs, when the songs are played in alphabetically order. In the current status the UPnP server feature in xbmc is not really usable.

Any more ideas? I really would appreciate a fix.

Cheers.
Me to, the upnp server, for music audio, is not usable like this. To Fix that i built an other upnp server with foobar and it play song in order.

Regards
Kaotech Wrote:Me to, the upnp server, for music audio, is not usable like this. To Fix that i built an other upnp server with foobar and it play song in order.

Regards
Did you integrate Foobar into xbmc?
No, i didn't.
jhsrennie Wrote:http://trac.xbmc.org/browser/branches/Dh....cpp#L1032

I simply commented out the line:

Code:
items.Sort(SORT_METHOD_LABEL, SORT_ORDER_ASC);

To make it sort by the full path, which seems the most satisfactory option change the line to:

Code:
items.Sort(SORT_METHOD_FULLPATH, SORT_ORDER_ASC);

JR

Hi Jhsrennie,

I have a couple of XBMC Live machines in my home and the track list in alphabetical order is driving me nuts. Unfortunately the link in your post above is now broken. I am curious as to which files you made the edits above. I am hoping that there is the equivalent in XBMC Live and I can correct this.

Many thanks,

H.
hernandito Wrote:Hi Jhsrennie,

I have a couple of XBMC Live machines in my home and the track list in alphabetical order is driving me nuts. Unfortunately the link in your post above is now broken. I am curious as to which files you made the edits above. I am hoping that there is the equivalent in XBMC Live and I can correct this.

Many thanks,

H.

Hi hernandito,

My hacked version of XBMC was only for Windows so it wouldn't have helped you anyway. Building your own version of XBMCLive is hard because you're effectively building the whole operating system. I think there are people around who build versions of XBMCLive, so it might be worth seeing if they can make the change for you.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:Hi hernandito,

My hacked version of XBMC was only for Windows so it wouldn't have helped you anyway. Building your own version of XBMCLive is hard because you're effectively building the whole operating system. I think there are people around who build versions of XBMCLive, so it might be worth seeing if they can make the change for you.

JR

Thank you! I was afraid of something like that... I have resorted to installing TVersity on my Windows PC linked to the same Music Folder XBMC uses to for its music. This way I can access my music on my hacked Nook Color Android tablet via wifi. Also running Plex Server and the Android app accomplishes the same results.

Both basically achieve the same goal, except my Win PC has to be on and running...

I do not have the courage to try to install some other UPnP server on the XBMC live machine, which is basically a stripped out version of Ubuntu. My XBMC machines are small Atom Ion computers that run Windows very slooooww. But with XBMC Live they are quite snappy.
Hi,

I'm running Dharma on Arch Linux and I was having a similar problem with the upnp server, but for video. I was using it to get video over to a rooted nook color. XBMC lists tv shows alphabetically by the episode title. IT also does not break up shows by season, even if the eps are in in separate season folders.

(@hernandito: you might want to consider trying Arch. I'm also using a little ION machine, I had problems with video skips in HD movies with a minimal Ubuntu install but Arch is even more barebones)
Well, since quite a few people are now facing the same prolem and the UPnP implementation in xbmc really doesn't seem be to useful anymore, I wonder why the problem cannot be fixed in the source code for all OS versions by the developers......
I have to echo all the comments here. We seem to have a small issue with uPnP server sorting but no fix available. Can I gently bump this to get the attention of a dev. Can we not include jhrennie's solution in a nightly build?

As someone who streams music from their Crystalbuntu linux distro to a Revo Axis it is extremely frustrating not having music sorted in the right order.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UPnP Media Server sorts music alphabetically?0