First Build.
I am building my first ever HTPC. I just wanted to run over my specs to make sure that they are sufficient. Im basically taking my old computer and gutting it and using these parts for the build.

30gb ocz vertex (OS)
asus mobo
amd 9500 quad core
8gb pc2-8500
4TB (storage)
Nvidia geforce 9600

The main thing im worried about is the gpu, i know it isnt the best, and it doesnt have hdmi, I figure i would use optical for sound for now.

Im wanting to start off with Windows Server 2008r2 and then eventually move to linux, i just dont want to bite to much off at first.

So I guess my main questions are, what case would best suit me? I want a blu-ray drive and a iMON vfd in it. And for download has anyone perfected a way to see a documentary torrent or something they want on their regular pc and send the torrent file for download on the HTPC? Im guessing just logging into it since its a workstation?

THANKS!!
Well if it were me, I would build a storage / apps server running WHS/FlexRAID / + whatever apps you want. And then a nettop or custom built nettop for playback.
That GPU can decode x264 just fine given the right circumstances. Without knowing exactly what mobo, it is hard to give more advice.

I have an Asus M3A78-EM

I am going to build a media server eventually , but i want to wait until i have more money to do so. This is only going to cost me the cost of the case to build and maybe a new gpu right now.

Also i just looked up sickbeard and that looks amazing =D
I think this case would be best for the money:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811163166

I think im going to go with the antec NSK2480 as its got 2 5.25 bays which is what i need/want and just paint it black. =D
NICE! I have one of those but I stopped recommending it because of the price. I still think it is the best designed case I have ever had. If you can find a Scythe Mini Ninja HSF then you will have a work of art. It is perfect for your needs...

8gb pc2-8500?

Are you sure that's enough?
I hope its enough memory, it looks to be, it seems from other posts most people are running less. Im just taking my pc i have right now and basically turning it into a htpc, so 8gb may even be overkill, i just have nothing else to put it in...
mr.sparkle Wrote:8gb pc2-8500?

Are you sure that's enough?

I think that was sarcasm Smile
Strange nobody has asked about but... Windows Server for HTPC tasksHuh I don't think thats a really good idea. If you want windows, 7 is the way to go. Home premium, if you asked me.
From the get go I assumed the "Windows phase" would last a couple days. OP seems to know Windows server is a poor HTPC OS.

I run 1GB of RAM.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First Build.0