Windows 7 SMB Share Woes
The other day I decided it would be a great idea to pull my hard drives and air dust the inside of the case and the disks themselves. Got everything back up and running on the windows 7 machine, but now no matter what I try when I try to add sources it asks for a username and password. And when I try to access the shares I left alone it comes back saying they dont exist

I have tried various guides, changed to a home network, reset the router and modem, made sure that the folder shares can be seen and accessed by the proper users. I am going to keep plugging away but I would appreciate any help you all can provide in this matter.
Hello,

Sometimes it is better to drop back and punt...in other words you may want to start over, reformat and reinstall windows 7 and go from there. Not much help I know, but it is what I would do if things became so fubar that I spent much more time troubleshooting than watching movies. It may save you time and aggravation just to reinstall windows.

Mark
Found a work around just as I was about to begin formatting. Its actually from xbmc4xbox.

WORKAROUND 2
Use your computers local IP address to create a network share in XBMC rather than using the computer name. This workaround should resolve the sharing conflict even if you have the Windows Live Sign-in Assistant installed.

When creating a network share in XBMC, choose "Add network location" from the "Browse for new share" window. Enter your computers local IP address in the "Server name" field. If your Windows 7 user account is password protected, then add your username and password too. Confiigure the rest of the share as usual.

Still puzzled as to why my smb shares are borked but what the hell.
If XBMC is prompting you for a password for your win7 shared folders you need to check two things

1.) Go into your advanced network and sharing setting from control panel and make sure "password protected sharing" is turned off

2.) Go into the properties of the shared folder and under the sharing tab click advanced share setting and make sure the user group "everyone" is granted access. Also check the security tab of the folder and ensure that the "Everyone" user group also has security access

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 7 SMB Share Woes0