ASRock ION 3D - For use with XBMC?
scottchicken Wrote:I bought the Asrock ION3D 152B (Bluray model) a few days ago. Only because everyone nearby was sold out of the 330HT-BD and this one replaces that. Not because of any 3D stuff.

Installed XBMC Live from XBMCFreak Nuvoton 10.00 v2 and everything worked straight off:

- Power on/off via remote
- HDMI video
- Optical audio
- Navigation sounds

Cannot test HDMI audio (no HDMI receiver), and did not test wireless networking (am all wired). Can't think of anything else right now as everything just works. The box is silent. Blue power LED is turned off via BIOS setting, there is an occasional orange flicker of the small HDD light which lets me know its on.

My only comment against it would be that the in built IR receiver is behind the front air intake grill, so there is not a huge margin of error in pointing the remote at it. You pretty much have to point straight on. But it works fine when you do.

Also the drive is one of those slim notebook type "plop" drives - it just plops out a bit when you press the button. Not the fullsized desktop drive similar to what you get in an actual dvd/bd player that extends and retracts fully and automatically. Cosmetic observation only.

Obviously plays all media fine and looks awesome on 50" Viera Panasonic Plasma.

No regrets buying it. Tiny black shiny box looks good with other AV equipment.

I've got this model also, but I cant install XBMC Live from XBMCFreak Nuvoton 10.00 v2. It keep saying: login to many connections when it boots. Anyone know what im doing wrong?
I'm afraid can't help with that error (perhaps try xbmcfreak forum), my install worked without any errors.

As a side note, curious if anyone has replaced either the remote or done any mods on the IR receiver on the ion3d. As the very narrow field that it will accept the remote signal is annoying me.

Can I just buy an external IR receiver and plug it in and have it work alongside the built in IR receiver?
scottchicken Wrote:I'm afraid can't help with that error (perhaps try xbmcfreak forum), my install worked without any errors.

As a side note, curious if anyone has replaced either the remote or done any mods on the IR receiver on the ion3d. As the very narrow field that it will accept the remote signal is annoying me.

Can I just buy an external IR receiver and plug it in and have it work alongside the built in IR receiver?

I have the same setup as you, but never noticed the limitation in pointing to the device. Out of habit, i usually point at the screen in front of me while the asrock box is way to the left. It always picks up the signal. Even more, my asrock is hidden behind 'tinted' glass.
Hi guys I'd like to' buy this device, but i need an info: is there any possibility in the bios setting to set the device starting itself at a specified time? It should be beyond the apm setting. Would you be' so nice to' check it? I would like to' use the nettop as an nome server but I don't want it to' run 24h a day.

Did someone detect the power consumption in idle? Should be' less than 30w, isn't it?

Thanks in advance
Batisgrulla
http://marcosiviero.org/blog/2011/03/14/...-software/

Here I found some informations about power consumption (but in italian language).

Regards
Perfect I'm italian Big Grin
The site report a power consumption of 33 w playing movies and 4 w in stand bY mode. Nothing about idle consumption.
Any other feedback on this nettop?
Has anyone had trouble in booting up the ION 3D? Usually my 152D works just fine but every now and then (maybe once or twice a week) it powers up, leds light up as usual but there's nothing on the display and it does not even get to the BIOS screen. When this happens I need to forcefully shut it down (either by keeping the power button pressed for several seconds or by disconnecting the power cable) and often repeat the process several times before the system actually proceeds to BIOS screen and then boots up fine. Only USB device that I have connected is the wireless dongle for a Logitech DiNovo Edge keyboard.

It very much seems like a hardware fault but since I ordered the box abroad, I would rather avoid the warranty replacement hassle if possible... Any suggestions on what might help with this issue?

Other than that I have been quite pleased with the system. It's quiet enough, powers on by remote and the hardware accelerated video decoding works nicely. The CPU performance certainly does leave something to be desired but this was no surprise after earlier encounters with Atom processors.
micmad Wrote:Has anyone had trouble in booting up the ION 3D? Usually my 152D works just fine but every now and then (maybe once or twice a week) it powers up, leds light up as usual but there's nothing on the display and it does not even get to the BIOS screen. When this happens I need to forcefully shut it down (either by keeping the power button pressed for several seconds or by disconnecting the power cable) and often repeat the process several times before the system actually proceeds to BIOS screen and then boots up fine.

I had the same issue; almost all the times with a blank display for minutes...

I made several changes:
1) installed the latest bios
2) installed windows 7 64 bit instead of linux
3) changed my (very short) hdmi cable with a 1.4 hdmi 1.5m long.

I never had this problem again.
I would start from point 3) ;-)))
poofyhairguy Wrote:[..]

On Linux with my ION system I can enable post-processing AND lanczos upscaling with no problems due to superior VDPAU support in XBMC. The Atom in ION systems is only not good enough for things that are beyond average playback- such as gaming or 3D!

Hi!

I just got an offer for an ASRock ION2 system where I wanted to know if HD content (720p, h/x264) hardware upscaling with the AtomD+ION2 combo is possible.

Afaik the ION (1st gen, Feature Set B1) is not able to upscale 720p to 1080p - that's what I'm looking for. I didn't even try that on my ASRock 330. Should I? Do you upscale with Atom330 + ION1?

Ref. from here: http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...ts-decoder

NVIDIA GPU product Device PCI ID* VDPAU features
ION 0x0865 B 1
Second Generation ION 0x0A64 C

//cut
Feature Set C

[..]

These GPUs also support VDP_VIDEO_MIXER_FEATURE_HIGH_QUALITY_SCALING_L1.

//cut

So, in short is the ION2 capable of 720p24 to 1080p24 upscaling?
--
multiple Kodi clients + vdr backend + mysql db
glucam Wrote:I had the same issue; almost all the times with a blank display for minutes...

I made several changes:
1) installed the latest bios
2) installed windows 7 64 bit instead of linux
3) changed my (very short) hdmi cable with a 1.4 hdmi 1.5m long.

I never had this problem again.
I would start from point 3) ;-)))

Hey, thanks for replying! I checked the thread for replies for few days after my post and after that just expected to get an e-mail if someone at some point answers. Clearly my assumption was wrong.

Lately I have not seen this problem often, but to my annoyance it reappeared just few days ago when I almost thought that it had been fixed on its own. I'm already using the latest BIOS (1.30) but my current HDMI cable is quite short (1m). I'll try with another and report back with results. Best to leave installing Win7 as the very last measure Smile
lazyman Wrote:So, in short is the ION2 capable of 720p24 to 1080p24 upscaling?

Yes, both ION1 & ION2 can manage that. On latter (implementing the feature set C) also the higher quality scaling is available.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ASRock ION 3D - For use with XBMC?0