Windows XP & Dharma RC1 - Anything else?
Hi guys, i was previously using xbmc live dharma beta 2 (i think it was 2) and it was running pretty much flawlessly..

However, i suck at linux and could no longer live without the goodies that are available for XMBC!

So i have just installed windows XP, installed all drivers for the Acer Aspire R3610 and now have a stable XP install running cool.

Now, i have installed XBMC and instantly i notice when i installed shoutcast.. with the visualisation (im assuming its this) running in the background, XBMC is really choppy and basicly a rubbish experience..

However with the XBMC live build i had previously which was linux based, this was not an issue and it was completely flawless..

Do i need to install anything specific?
Tweak my system? etc

Any information to get this flawless like the live build would be great.
I am a windows lover and dont want to go back to linux Sad
in Windows Task Manager, do you see anything else taking-up CPU cycles? What video card and driver do you have? Is that an Nvidia ION ?
bsmith1051 Wrote:in Windows Task Manager, do you see anything else taking-up CPU cycles? What video card and driver do you have? Is that an Nvidia ION ?

nvidia ion chipset

only xbmc running mate - no antivirus or anything as of yet, just want to get the playback mint first.

when i first run xbmc its 100% fine..
when i play with settings its really smooth etc..

untill i play a song from hdd/usb/shoutcast etc..

im assuming its the fullscreen visualisation in the background that is bogging it down?
please correct me if im wrong though?

thanks for the fast reply

EDIT: when i play a song it goes choppy (interface), although the song plays fine and the visualisation seems ok (although can become slightly choppy..)

then when i click stop (and the visualisation stops with it) the interface is flawless again?

bare in mind this is a complete fresh install of XP - no extras, no malware, no antivirus or anything..
nvidia ion version: 6.14.11.8585

that is the only information i can find on the video card?

been trying to tweak settings including resolution but still choppy under visualisation playing in XBMC.

ive not tried to do anything else as of yet, such as bbc iplayer or itv catch up or flash games etc.

as this pc is mainly for XBMC, although i would like to be able to have a smooth operational unit throughout for web use too..
Stupid question, but... have you tried it without visualisation?
I use Dharma on a 3610 with Win7 and it's fine. I have used earlier builds of Dharma on the 3610 with WinXP and they were fine so I'd guess it's some driver problem. Did you use the drivers from acer.com?

Can you pop a debug log on pastebin.com.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:I use Dharma on a 3610 with Win7 and it's fine. I have used earlier builds of Dharma on the 3610 with WinXP and they were fine so I'd guess it's some driver problem. Did you use the drivers from acer.com?

Can you pop a debug log on pastebin.com.

JR

Hi mate, took me a while to find drivers for r3610 and xp.

I am not 100% sure if there all the correct drivers or the latest drivers.

When i go on the acer website they only have drivers for Win7 and there is no graphics drivers (as though its supposed to already be detected or something)
fdlsys Wrote:Stupid question, but... have you tried it without visualisation?

well tbh i do like the visualisation playing - but yeah ive tried it without visualisation and all is smooth..

its definately a problem playing back the visualisation, not sure if its a problem when playing video back as ive been bothered to set it up yet if it means ill have to re-install live and it takes time
myksterx Wrote:Hi mate, took me a while to find drivers for r3610 and xp.

I am not 100% sure if there all the correct drivers or the latest drivers.

When i go on the acer website they only have drivers for Win7 and there is no graphics drivers (as though its supposed to already be detected or something)

I don't have XP installed on the Revo at the moment, but looking in my driver archive I see:

Code:
D:\temp>dir D:\Software\swarchive\Drivers\Revo\XP
Volume in drive D has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 6445-CB22

Directory of D:\Software\swarchive\Drivers\Revo\XP

03/12/2009  17:41    <DIR>          .
03/12/2009  17:41    <DIR>          ..
03/12/2009  15:12        49,537,576 15.46_nforce_winxp32_ion_international_whql.
exe
03/12/2009  15:16       121,925,696 195.62_desktop_winxp_32bit_international_whq
l.exe
03/12/2009  17:24        59,027,228 Audio_Realtek_6.0.1.5807_Vistax86_A.zip
03/12/2009  16:13         5,950,176 hdaudio_1.00.00.59_xp_vista_win7.exe

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows XP & Dharma RC1 - Anything else?0