• 4(current)
[WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept)
grajen3 Wrote:Well, displaying images is working - You can see it in demo #2. The problem is that some RSS feeds doesn't attach media files correctly ( http://www.rssboard.org/rss-specificatio...OfLtitemgt ) and use some custom schemas (which I need to add custom handling).

What about this one? (celebrity photo thread)
http://forum.skins.be/external.php?type=RSS2&forumids=9

or

http://feeds.feedburner.com/eyeprime

(I'm thinking for the actor section...)

I guess instead of asking I could just try it out Tongue

Images updated with Copystruct font. I think its a nice combination of old typewriter and legibility. Looking for feedback as to legibility. What do you guys think?
blacklist Wrote:Image

Images updated with Copystruct font. I think its a nice combination of old typewriter and legibility. Looking for feedback as to legibility. What do you guys think?

Tape under the headings and on the little red menu is _great_ and a subtle but huge improvement. Very nicely done. (I recognize that wasn't a change in this iteration, but I figured it was worth pointing out since I was commenting.)

I'm terrible with making typographical choices myself, so this is in no way meant to be critical, but since you were soliciting feedback:

Subheadings on the actor page (dob/name/height/etc) seem overdone to me. Is it just an awkward bold weight, or a different font? That's the only thing I actively disliked. The body text is not as brilliant feeling as the rest of the skin, but doesn't bother me and is overall legible enough, I think (maybe on the verge of pushing it a little). Grungy fonts are tough because they eventually end up betraying their uniformity and then look fake. I think your aesthetic is perfect, but the font choice is just good enough.... The heading serif font looks great.
Rad_ Wrote:Tape under the headings and on the little red menu is _great_ and a subtle but huge improvement. Very nicely done.

I'm terrible with making typographical choices myself, so this is in no way meant to be critical, but since you were soliciting feedback:

Subheadings on the actor page (dob/name/height/etc) seem overdone to me. Is it just an awkward bold weight, or a different font? That's the only thing I actively disliked. The body text is not as brilliant feeling as the rest of the skin, but doesn't bother me and is overall legible enough, I think (maybe on the verge of pushing it a little). Grungy fonts are tough because they eventually end up betraying their uniformity and then look fake. I think your aesthetic is perfect, but the font choice is just good enough.... The heading serif font looks great.

Thanks for the feedback! I agree, I am extremely happy with the heading font and have been struggling to find a body font that I'm happy with and can stand up to the distribution license. So far this is the best I've hit on. I picked these screens to test it out on since the were some of the most text-heavy areas of the skin.

Yes, the DOB info is the bold weight of the font - and I'm not convinced on it either. I'm thinking I'd rather just leave it standard weight as it does seem a bit awkward.

I agree about grungy fonts... the are better in small doses. I think this one is a decent balance between some grunge, without being over-wrought.

(The last bit of tape under "sets" is actually the selection pointer for that area, I'm changing the tape color to red under the selected item)

Top Actors: Actors with the most media in the library
Most Viewed: Actors with the most views in the library
Recently Added: Actors in recently added media

(This should be quite a database challenge, if I'm correct with what I think I know of the current database structure)

Not loving this yet. With the availability of outside RSS feeds now, I'd like to be able to have a bit more of an actor portal. The idea is if I can get news, latest images, whatever of actors in my library, and then link that with my existing media, I can start using XBMC in a whole new way.

I'm not a big one of the current actors implementation, but something like this might make me use the view more often.

My philosophy with each area of the skin has become to really dig into how we can get more information out of my media, and look for new ways to interact with it.

Although I think the side effect is going to be headaches for ronie Tongue
EVEN BETTER!

Check this out:

http://news.google.com/news?q=%22matt%20...output=rss

I didn't know you could do this with a google news RSS feed until just now.
The q= takes whatever your seaching for news on and returns a custom RSS feed for the topic.

So you could easily create a custom actor RSS feed Big Grin This could also easily be applied to directors, music artists, etc. as well. I tried for specific movie titles, but that doesn't seem to give reasonable results. TV Show titles seems to result in more interesting things, however.

Of course, there seem to be a lot of false positives thrown in. Look for "Outsourced" and you get a million articles - very few related to the show at all.
Hello!

I really like this skin. When will it be available?
Or, if you where to find it already available.
Keep up the good work!
Mikuc Wrote:Hello!

I really like this skin. When will it be available?
Or, if you where to find it already available.
Keep up the good work!

It will be available just as soon as its complete.

I have no idea when that will be. Everything you see are mock-ups (ie created in Photoshop). Ronie and I have a working deveolpment version, but it is far, far, far from being complete. Like... 5% done.

Maybe 5% Tongue
skunkm0nkee Wrote:This looks great. Big Grin

I don't get too much time to mess about with XBMC these days (I'm still using the Camelot release and a version of the Abel skin I started working on about this time last year!) but I'll definitely be looking to upgrade and download this when it's released. Nod

I just hope the skin gets properly developed to make sure it ends up looking as great as the mockups and that it is smooth and usable for the end user. I would suggest a semi-closed development process would probably help avoid it getting bastardised and diluted by the community (too many chefs and all that). In my opinion developing it away from prying eyes and only releasing updates when ready will help it develop properly and should raise excitement levels for the final release.

I actually kicked around an idea for a paper-related skin around the time when we were finishing MediaStream. Even in my wildest imagination I wouldn't have been able to come up with something as polished as this looks though. Great work!!

Thanks a lot of the feed back, I'm really excited about the direction this is heading. I'm actually going a bit of the opposite direction - documenting development as it happens, at least from the mock-up side of things. I feel like at this point I've got a strong enough vision, and an awesome partner in ronie getting this coded that it can't get diluted too much from the community.

Honestly, some of the feed back and suggestions have helped me re-tool and look at my designs with a critical eye - I think resulting in a better final result.

I may eat my words, but I'm glad for the community involvement and the excitement folks seem to have for the skin. As long as we don't start getting badgered for a release date...
Come on and do it already :-)
Any time in the next four days will be fine Wink
Everyone's a comedian.... Wink

Just to be a tease...

I just put 2 more 2TB drives in my system... I think that brings me up to 18TB. Happy birthday to meeee!
A tease? God damm it man, you need a decent size tv let alone another hard drive lol
I'm not a newbie. I always act this dumb.

Home Cinema Setup
-------------------
37 inch TV - Intel I3 530 @ 2.9GHZ - 4 Gig Memory - Silverstone home cinema case (silver)
MarkTaunton Wrote:A tease? God damm it man, you need a decent size tv let alone another hard drive lol

I just can't fit bigger than 55" in that space... Maybe if I just cover up the whole fireplace? Tongue
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept)12