Beta Suggestions
Please post all suggestions here. If the idea is totally new or requires a big change, please post a mockup to show.
Ok I'll start the party! Wink

MOD of BIGFAN view:

* removed top bar (optional via settings?)
* adding cover to the left of the fanart
* main fanart and cover moved a bit up
* stars move a bit up to make room for more movie info under stars. (director, genre, year for example)
* yellow lines added just to show that extrathumb images could be same height as "infoarea".

* move "now playing box" to the middle bottom of the screen so it doesn't overlap extrathumbs and "infoarea".

* perhaps change so that the big movie title (the big in the background) is drawn before the edge of the fanart so it doesn't overlap the border. it's barely visible now tho, but thought i'd mention it.

This is just a personal requests on my part as i LOVE the BIGFAN view, but feels it lacks some info(text+cover) and "dynamic feel" (extrathumbs).
www.emuxtras.net | EFnet #EmuXtras
Almost the same as above with a few tweaks (don't mind the badly photoshop edits on borders etc)

* dark area (skinnable or optional colors?) in the bottom to make bottom items stand out more.
* extrathumbs and info in the same place.
* depicting where now playing info could be placed. or perhaps meta/info stuff.

I do believe BIGFAN view was meant to make a minimalistic view, but would be nice to have a "buffed up" BIGFAN view with more info Smile
wimpy Wrote:Ok I'll start the party! Wink

MOD of BIGFAN view:

* removed top bar (optional via settings?)
* adding cover to the left of the fanart
* main fanart and cover moved a bit up
* stars move a bit up to make room for more movie info under stars. (director, genre, year for example)
* yellow lines added just to show that extrathumb images could be same height as "infoarea".

* move "now playing box" to the middle bottom of the screen so it doesn't overlap extrathumbs and "infoarea".

* perhaps change so that the big movie title (the big in the background) is drawn before the edge of the fanart so it doesn't overlap the border. it's barely visible now tho, but thought i'd mention it.

This is just a personal requests on my part as i LOVE the BIGFAN view, but feels it lacks some info(text+cover) and "dynamic feel" (extrathumbs).

Rotating extra thumbs are a crude idea... but I really like the idea of an alternative version with a poster that also levels out the fan art. The big fan view is perfect with the projected background title, I don't think it's necessary to clog it up with an obscene amount of information. It seem's like everyone wants these erupted views, do many people use the info screen? it's a crying shame if they don't.
I wouldn't really call a view like this "erupted" myself, but I know there are lots of different users and views on skinning on the forum and these are just my thoughts and requests Smile

About the infoscreen, not really something I use myself really as most views I use have all the info "needed" in my eyes.

About rotating extrathumbs: Check out the Shade skin and see how it's done there. It's really nicely done and makes the view alot more dynamic and at the same time it's not "too much of a focal point of the view".
wimpy Wrote:I wouldn't really call a view like this "erupted" myself, but I know there are lots of different users and views on skinning on the forum and these are just my thoughts and requests Smile

About the infoscreen, not really something I use myself really as most views I use have all the info "needed" in my eyes.

About rotating extrathumbs: Check out the Shade skin and see how it's done there. It's really nicely done and makes the view alot more dynamic and at the same time it's not "too much of a focal point of the view".

It is interesting how people browse their library's. I find myself steering towards panel and wall views with at least the title of the film displayed. I do like to see the sub plot in a panel view and maybe flags for the rating and source. I hate it when a view is filled with all the meta data XBMC could find. When I watch friends or family use XBMC they naturally use the info screen just as I do. I think when you reach a certain amount of movies most view's become useless unless you are navigating through genre's or playlists etc. One of the best yet crowded views that I admittedly love is aeon's old multiplex.

[Maybe erupted was a bit strong but as I said I love the idea of leveling the fanart with the poster. As for the rotating thumbs in shade I'll check it out, although I'm sceptical.]
Stranger Wrote:It is interesting how people browse their library's. I find myself steering towards panel and wall views with at least the title of the film displayed. I do like to see the sub plot in a panel view and maybe flags for the rating and source. I hate it when a view is filled with all the meta data XBMC could find. When I watch friends or family use XBMC they naturally use the info screen just as I do. I think when you reach a certain amount of movies most view's become useless unless you are navigating through genre's or playlists etc. One of the best yet crowded views that I admittedly love is aeon's old multiplex.

[Maybe erupted was a bit strong but as I said I love the idea of leveling the fanart with the poster. As for the rotating thumbs in shade I'll check it out, although I'm sceptical.]

Exactly, there are different habits to even as mundane things as browsing a digital library I guess Smile I myself like to jump to a movie, view all "needed" info without having to navigate to a new screen and then back again to go to the next. Some like to have small bits of the movie and option to "dive into the rest of the info" by pressing I. Nothing can be done in a skin to meet everyones expectations and/or desires I know =) Therefore my request is not really a "change BIGFAN to this", more like a "Add a new view like this". These requests are however mere personal requests and not directions for Arc Smile

About the thumbs rotating I was sceptical aswell, but after testing it out in Shade I kinda saw the potential of having a more dynamic screen as Shade really displays them in a nice way. I even converted my movie folder structure and started using Ember to generate extrathumbs for my entire library hehe. If you still don't like it after testing Shade we just have different taste and nothing is wrong with that Smile
wimpy Wrote:Nothing can be done in a skin to meet everyones expectations and/or desires I know

I beg to dither (although I really like how you resolved our discussion) Fusion has a lot of views and it seems the general consensus of most skins is everyone's desires should be met, and if they are not the modding starts. I believe now your idea is a lot more valuable since there are a lot of user's who have similar preferences.
Stranger Wrote:I beg to dither (although I really like how you resolved our discussion) Fusion has a lot of views and it seems the general consensus of most skins is everyone's desires should be met, and if they are not the modding starts. I believe now your idea is a lot more valuable since there are a lot of user's who have similar preferences.

(hehe discussions is what communities thrive on imo so glad we had this one Wink)

I do believe the current Fusion views cater to a huge amount of the userbase as-is, but it's true like you say: Modding will start once the skin is "out-there" even if all requests are not included in the official release or not. This seems to be the case with most skins even what skin is released Smile

And the concept of using trailer inclusion, extrathumbs etc seems to be more and more (at least for my part) a wanted feature atleast for those users that have experienced a nice way to autogenerate thumbs and autofetch trailers (this task has been a hassle in the past without Ember Media Manager on my part so I've skipped it until i learned about EMM). So the requests above (read: including extrathumbs) is very much a personal request on my part as I have extrathumbs for all movies and would like to utilize them if possible Smile

Time to sleep! Another day, another thread, another discussion Big Grin
Now these are the types of discussions I like to see! A nice, civil back and forth of different views Big Grin

It makes it easier to see what users preferences are so that I can try to cater to the masses....

With that being said, while Fusion does have alot of views, I want to try to stay true to the theme of simplicity and elegance.

If I can find a nice balance to display extrathumbs, etc and keep it clean and not cluttered I will consider a new viewtype after the first stable public release.
On Home what about putting plot under the "Feature" movie/TV box? The just put a !player.hasmedia so no conflicts...

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC
about my first two posts. BIGFAN view is ofcourse meant to be INFOWRAP Smile
Rainbow 
Arcanthur Wrote:Now these are the types of discussions I like to see! A nice, civil back and forth of different views Big Grin

It makes it easier to see what users preferences are so that I can try to cater to the masses....

With that being said, while Fusion does have alot of views, I want to try to stay true to the theme of simplicity and elegance.

If I can find a nice balance to display extrathumbs, etc and keep it clean and not cluttered I will consider a new viewtype after the first stable public release.

Sounds nice! I'll try to think of some more view ideas that is more in line with your direction of the skin aswell in the coming days, just need to play around with it abit more.

Fusion is easily on my top #3 skins even before it's out (at it's current beta stage it's very stable and polished), so my requests/ideas are basically just nitpicking using my own prefs as base Smile Keep up the good work Arc Big Grin
mcborzu Wrote:On Home what about putting plot under the "Feature" movie/TV box? The just put a !player.hasmedia so no conflicts...

+1 I'd love to see some more info below the featured item on the homescreen as it looks abit.. empty.. since the recently added list is all the way to the bottom of the screen.

EDIT: Now i'm going to bed finally.. Tongue
It would be nice with a scrollbar in albumwrap view

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Beta Suggestions0