[LIVE] Hardware decisions
I've put it off long enough. Time to build an HTPC. Let me outline the constrictions, then ask the questions:

1. Trying to do this as inexpensively as possible (aren't we all?) while finding the balance of quality.

2. Files played back will all be rips of my DVD's converted with Handbrake at native resolution. The main goal is to have an easy to use movie jukebox for my family so we don't have to play the "where did the kids hide the DVD?" game anymore. I don't do Blu-Ray rips yet, may in the near future.

3. TV is a DLP, 720p.

4. Will not be doing any internet content (don't have broadband).

5. This machine will not be doing ripping / converting - have a Mac Pro workstation for that. Content will be stored locally on the HTPC (leaving a Mac Pro on for streaming is just wrong on so many levels)

6. Plan on using XBMC Live to keep it as lightweight as possible, so I know that Nvidia is my choice for graphics hardware.

My questions:

1. Does processor make a difference in all of this? I'm thinking of using the Asrock Ion 330 board, but am not adverse so upgrading to an LGA775 board w/Geforce 9300 and Celeron 3400 if it will make a significant difference in quality.

2. Along those lines: if a Geforce GT430 or GT220 is going to offer significantly better picture quality than an ION or 9300, I am not adverse to upgrading that as well. I have looked up the HQV of all these chipsets, but am not sure such scores are relevant under XBMC Live.

I see three options:
1. An ION 330 board is $150,
2. A ZOTAC GF9300-G-E with Celeron 3400 is is $174
3. An ECS H55, Core i3-540, and Zotac Low-profile GT430 is $280. (the only reason I am considering this last option is because it's upgradable down the road)

I already have a 500GB 3.5" HDD, Apex MI-008 Case w/power supply.

Based on what I'm going to do, what would you recommend? Thanks in advance for all help.
Given that you JUST want XBMC, I think ION is perfect for you. I only recommend more than ION when someone has dreams of their HTPC doing tons of stuff outside XBMC - aka Hulu, Netflix, Games, Emulators, etc. For just XBMC ION is perfect.

In fact, I think that an ION + a SSD has better XBMC performance than a Core2Duo with a HD. So spend you entra money on a SSD OS drive.

I had a suspicion ION would be sufficient - just always like to check with the more experienced hands.

If I was going to go with an SSD OS drive, would something like the Kingston SSDNow 16GB be sufficient? I would go 8GB, but the read/write doesn't speeds don't justify the price, whereas the 16GB does.
16GB is good enough...

Wow, haven't seen these 16GB SSDs before. Can't find a review but they seem perfect for XBMC.
Sounds like you want a similar setup to what I currently run. I'd go with the ION platform. You won't be disappointed!
My Acer Revo 1600 (+SSD) is more than enough for XBMC live. The new Dharma build makes it that much better than before.
Thank you much for the advice. I'm ordering the parts as we speak (a sudden sale on Newegg, woo hoo!)
Pics!!!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Hardware decisions0