• 17(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration in Intel Core i3 / i5 / i7 integrated GPU
alexb38 Wrote:Any idea? Huh

Not really, since the problem appears to be in your build of XBMC. If I were in your position, I would try to create a clean machine (perhaps a virtual machine or a live CD of a distro) get the latest production drivers and stack and then get the required libraries for building XBMC from standard repositories, not have any XBMC 10 on it at all and see if that 11 build works when vlc is working on that configuration with hardware decoding (this testing cannot be run from a virtual machine but you can run it from a live cd boot).

This is just in case all the testing and downloading earlier resulted in some incompatible libraries being added and to make sure that there is no possibility of any contamination with XBMC 10 files (since the symptoms you have are exactly the same as that of XBMC 10).
I am running into an error when trying to compile XBMC

Code:
checking for hci_devid in -lbluetooth... no
Could not find suitable version of libbluetooth
checking for main in -lyajl... no

I started with a fresh ubuntu 10.10 x86 server install and ran through every step including the ones for the minimal install just in case.

I tried
Code:
sudo apt-get build-dep xbmc
which failed so I tried copying the dependancies out of the README.linux file which is a real pain because instead of a list of packages to install some of the dependancies are in other packages and even if they weren't someone thought it a good idea to add commas after every one.

Anyway I wound up with this
Code:
sudo apt-get install debhelper python-support cmake autotools-dev autoconf automake unzip libboost-dev zip libtool libgl1-mesa-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libglu-dev libglew-dev libmad0-dev libjpeg-dev libsamplerate-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libfreetype6-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libfribidi-dev libsqlite3-dev libmysqlclient-dev libasound-dev libpng12-dev libpng-dev libpcre3-dev liblzo2-dev libcdio-dev libsdl-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libenca-dev libjasper-dev libxt-dev libxmu-dev libxinerama-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-storage-dev libhal-dev libpulse-dev libavahi-common-dev libavahi-client-dev libxrandr-dev libavcodec-dev libavformat-dev libavutil-dev libpostproc-dev libswscale-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libass-dev libmpcdec-dev libflac-dev python-dev gawk gperf nasm libcwiid1-dev libbluetooth-dev zlib1g-dev libsmbclient-dev libiso9660-dev libssl-dev lsb-release libvdpau-dev libmicrohttpd-dev libmodplug-dev librtmp-dev curl python-dev libyajl-dev

Which seems to have done the trick and XBMC compiled ok. I have not compared the Build-depends in the guide to this list so I don't know all which were missing but I suspect it was the last one in the list at least libyajl-dev.

Also when running make install I got an error /bin/bash: gtk-update-icon-cache: command not found
so I did
Code:
sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-bin
which got rid of the error.
try this:

Code:
apt-get install libbluetooth3 libbluetooth-dev
alexb38 Wrote:Ok, yes I used the good option "Use GPU acceleration (experimental)" just under /dev/dvd in "input & codecs".

Here we can see that VLC is really using VAAPI :
Code:
libva: libva version 0.32.0
libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib64/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
[0x1f60f60] avcodec decoder: Using VA API version 0.32 for hardware decoding.

same problem here:
10.10 server, x4500hd with correct vainfo output but when i try to play MKv in xbmc 11pre with VAAPI enabled it crashes back to Desktop.

any idea?
new upstream vaapi for lucid, I thought some of you may want newer drivers

https://launchpad.net/~x3lectric/+archiv.../+packages
just wanted to check what the status of intel X4500MHD is, still just able to decode mpeg2 right? Starting to doubt intels intentions of actually developing support for h264 under linux.
o_dog Wrote:just wanted to check what the status of intel X4500MHD is, still just able to decode mpeg2 right? Starting to doubt intels intentions of actually developing support for h264 under linux.

There is a branch living for libva just for G45 h264 decoding.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libva/?h=g45-h264

It is not merged into mainline libva, but you might can try the branch out. I think after git checkout you can change to the g45-h264 branch and build that, instead of the mainline libva.

Hope it helps...

Phoronix article:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ne...&px=OTMxNw
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
alanwww1 Wrote:There is a branch living for libva just for G45 h264 decoding.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libva/?h=g45-h264

It is not merged into mainline libva, but you might can try the branch out. I think after git checkout you can change to the g45-h264 branch and build that, instead of the mainline libva.

Hope it helps...

Phoronix article:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ne...&px=OTMxNw

Thanks, tried it, vainfo reports the correct info but xbmc crashes back to console as soon as you try to start playback of a h264 file with vaapi enabled. Works great without it though =)
Hello and thank you for the guide! Smile

I am experiencing stuttering when vaapi is enabled with 1080p mkv files,
runs smooth when i disable vaapi, you have any idea what the issue might be?

I'm running a fresh install of ubuntu 11.04 on a asrock core 100ht-bd --> http://www.asrock.com/nettop/overview.as...20100HT-BD
tmiland Wrote:Hello and thank you for the guide! Smile

I am experiencing stuttering when vaapi is enabled with 1080p mkv files,
runs smooth when i disable vaapi, you have any idea what the issue might be?

I'm running a fresh install of ubuntu 11.04 on a asrock core 100ht-bd --> http://www.asrock.com/nettop/overview.as...20100HT-BD

I have the same issue here. The Problem seems that the GPU Clock
is not adjusted automaticly. On Windows you can see with GPU-Z that
the initial GPU Clock is at 480mhz. After starting xbmc and playing a 1080p file
the Clock speed is at 684mhz. So I went to the Bios and set IGP to 677mhz. After that 1080p plays smooth with vaapi. So I think the GPU Turbo dosn't work with the actual intel drivers.
alexb38 Wrote:Any idea? Huh

I've got a very similar problem (xbmc freeze with a black image on background and xbmc interface on foereground) when I tried to play a x264 video with VAAPI enabled. Video play well when VAAPI is disabled.

I don't have the same hardware (I'm using an AMD Zacate e350) but I use gentoo's ebuild xbmc-9999 too.

I didn't had time to test VAAPI acceleration in other player but i'll do this soon.

Maybe the problem isn't from the driver but rather from a patch or a version of a library.
Hello,

thanks to alan, with your greate VAAPI Guides I managed to get a working
vaapi installation on my Asrock 100HT.
But there is one Problem with the latest intel-video drivers. If I compile in the SNA Support of the Driver I can't play 1080p movies anymore. 720p Plays fine but with 1080p I get a flashing disorted Picture. Log dosnt say anything usefull.
This happens on all my Arandale/Clarkdale based Machines.

Someone else having the same Problem?

EDIT:
here is my config:
* Ubunutu 11.04 minimal
* vaapilib 1.0.14 -git
* libmesa 1.12 -git
* intel-video-driver 2.16 - git
xbmc_pitti Wrote:Hello,

thanks to alan, with your greate VAAPI Guides I managed to get a working
vaapi installation on my Asrock 100HT.
But there is one Problem with the latest intel-video drivers. If I compile in the SNA Support of the Driver I can't play 1080p movies anymore. 720p Plays fine but with 1080p I get a flashing disorted Picture. Log dosnt say anything usefull.
This happens on all my Arandale/Clarkdale based Machines.

This should be reported to the Intel devs. Note that SNA is quite experimental or beta yet. As i konw it is not enabled by default.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
alanwww1 Wrote:This should be reported to the Intel devs. Note that SNA is quite experimental or beta yet. As i konw it is not enabled by default.

All xserver-xorg-video-intel packages on xorg-edgers after the 24.06.2011 have SNA support enabled as I know.
alexb38 Wrote:I'm experiencing a problem with VAAPI since sometime : when I activate VAAPI and play some x264 content, then XBMC freezes and I need to restart it.

Here is the setup I'm using :
- Intel Core i3 540, 4GB of memory, raid 5
- Gentoo Linux
- XBMC, built on May 23 2011 (Git:b30c4327399cdc53a2fd95ea98757754f950453a)
Installed versions: 9999{tbz2}(00:33:41 23/05/2011)(alsa bluray css pulseaudio rtmp sse sse2 vaapi webserver xrandr -altivec -avahi -debug -joystick -midi -profile -udev -vdpau)
- with external ffmpeg, built on May 23 2011 (git-N-30149-g458f20b)
Installed versions: 9999{tbz2}(00:12:19 23/05/2011)(3dnow 3dnowext X alsa bzip2 encode faac hardcoded-tables mmx mmxext mp3 network qt-faststart rtmp sdl ssse3 theora threads truetype vaapi vorbis vpx x264 xvid zlib -aac -altivec -amr -avx -bindist -celt -cpudetection -custom-cflags -debug -dirac -doc -frei0r -gsm -ieee1394 -jack -jpeg2k -oss -pic -schroedinger -speex -static-libs -test -v4l -v4l2 -vdpau -video_cards_nvidia)
- kernel 2.6.38-gentoo-r5-ipv6-64 (x86_64)
- xorg-server 1.10.1.901
- xf86-video-intel 2.15.0
- mesa 7.10.2-r1
- libdrm 2.4.25
- libva 1.0.12

I installed the packages specified for "Intel Graphics Package 2011Q1"

Here is the part of the log when playing a video in x264 : http://pastebin.com/rRUiQJCA

When I open the video, there's a black screen below the library view but nothing happens, no image and no sound.

At this point I pressed "X" (stop) and after that XBMC freezes :
[...]

The problem started a few months ago after updating some packages and XBMC.

It worked ok when I had the packages mentionned here : http://intellinuxgraphics.org/2010Q4.html and the latest XBMC from that time (I think xbmc still used subversion at this time).

When the VAAPI option isn't activated, everything works fine...

Does anyone have an idea on how to solve this problem ?

I think I found where it comes from. As I told before, I had the same problem on a differente plateform (AMD Zacate). The only common thing is the ebuild used (xbmc-9999).
This ebuild build xbmc with external libs enabled and optimizations disabled. I created a ebuild with this 2 things removed and now vaapi works.
If you want to try and need some help, I can explain further in another thread (as it's not a problem related to the hardware)
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration in Intel Core i3 / i5 / i7 integrated GPU4