I am running into an error when trying to compile XBMC
checking for hci_devid in -lbluetooth... no
Could not find suitable version of libbluetooth
checking for main in -lyajl... no
I started with a fresh ubuntu 10.10 x86 server install and ran through every step including the ones for the minimal install just in case.
sudo apt-get build-dep xbmc
which failed so I tried copying the dependancies out of the README.linux file which is a real pain because instead of a list of packages to install some of the dependancies are in other packages and even if they weren't someone thought it a good idea to add commas after every one.
Anyway I wound up with this
sudo apt-get install debhelper python-support cmake autotools-dev autoconf automake unzip libboost-dev zip libtool libgl1-mesa-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libglu-dev libglew-dev libmad0-dev libjpeg-dev libsamplerate-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libfreetype6-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libfribidi-dev libsqlite3-dev libmysqlclient-dev libasound-dev libpng12-dev libpng-dev libpcre3-dev liblzo2-dev libcdio-dev libsdl-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libenca-dev libjasper-dev libxt-dev libxmu-dev libxinerama-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-storage-dev libhal-dev libpulse-dev libavahi-common-dev libavahi-client-dev libxrandr-dev libavcodec-dev libavformat-dev libavutil-dev libpostproc-dev libswscale-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libass-dev libmpcdec-dev libflac-dev python-dev gawk gperf nasm libcwiid1-dev libbluetooth-dev zlib1g-dev libsmbclient-dev libiso9660-dev libssl-dev lsb-release libvdpau-dev libmicrohttpd-dev libmodplug-dev librtmp-dev curl python-dev libyajl-dev
Which seems to have done the trick and XBMC compiled ok. I have not compared the Build-depends in the guide to this list so I don't know all which were missing but I suspect it was the last one in the list at least libyajl-dev.
Also when running make install I got an error /bin/bash: gtk-update-icon-cache: command not found
so I did
sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-bin
which got rid of the error.