Quietest ION box with SPDIF?
BORIStheBLADE Wrote:Fanless with a internal connection for S/PDIF.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product
??? What does it mean with "internal connection"? How do you hook up your optical (or coaxial) cable to it?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Geeba Wrote:Is USB SPDIF any good? can you get 5.1 working out of it... or is it just another problem that you have to crack the code open for?
My question exactly. Just by reading it, it gives me the idea of a problem waiting to happen.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
ashlar Wrote:My question exactly. Just by reading it, it gives me the idea of a problem waiting to happen.

Yep I have thoughts of messy dongles hanging out the back of the box with no driver support and a long list of code I have absolutely no idea what to do with! Shocked
ashlar Wrote:Huh What does it mean with "internal connection"? How do you hook up your optical (or coaxial) cable to it?

There is usually a place in the mother board where you plug a cable to. When I get home I can show you. If you ever build a computer and have plugged the computer case usb ports to the mobo headers you would know what I'm talking about.

I don't know if anyone has ran XBMC on this computer using the internal connection.

Geeba Wrote:Yep I have thoughts of messy dongles hanging out the back of the box with no driver support and a long list of code I have absolutely no idea what to do with! Shocked

It is not nearly that evil.

With OSX and Linux they have a built in USB sound driver that (when you have compatible hardware) is plug in play. Like you plug it in, set it to that output in XBMC, and the DTS/AC3 plays on your stereo. Easy.

Windows lacks this driver, so you just have to get a box that has DTS and AC3 passthrough built into its driver.

The solution? One of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-SB10...B0017QQQAE

I have had one for a year and I can confirm it passes through DTS and AC3 in all major OSes. Only downside is it is not tiny, but hey it works. You have to sacrifice somewhere....

BORIStheBLADE Wrote:There is usually a place in the mother board where you plug a cable to. When I get home I can show you. If you ever build a computer and have plugged the computer case usb ports to the mobo headers you would know what I'm talking about.

I don't know if anyone has ran XBMC on this computer using the internal connection.

I run the Habey 6561, and I'm not sure I would recommend it. Mine died after 5 months, Habey replaced it for free, but I'm not confident in the build quality. Plus, WOL and WOUSB have never worked. I do not use the internal SPDIF, I'm not sure how you would - I think you'd need to drill a hole in the rear panel to get it to exit the case.
teaguecl Wrote:I run the Habey 6561, and I'm not sure I would recommend it. Mine died after 5 months, Habey replaced it for free, but I'm not confident in the build quality. Plus, WOL and WOUSB have never worked. I do not use the internal SPDIF, I'm not sure how you would - I think you'd need to drill a hole in the rear panel to get it to exit the case.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it last a while.
I actually wanted to buy that box, but it was out of stock on Newegg when I was buying my parts.

ashlar Wrote:Huh What does it mean with "internal connection"? How do you hook up your optical (or coaxial) cable to it?

Here's an SPDIF motherboard header:

Most motherboards have them.

You should check the pinout diagram in your MB manual to make sure you have the correct pinout for your card. (the cables can be easily reconfigured with a toothpick or pocket knife).

You would plug an adapter such as this:

This is for an Asus motherboard, but I'm using it with my Zotac board.

Hope this helps.

-Wes

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Quietest ION box with SPDIF?0