How to get 1080p/24p running smooth on a Panasonic Plasma
Try pressing "O" during play and turn Debug Log on to see what's going on

Are many frames dropped?
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
I just read this thread, because I currently have a TV which only supports 1080p in 50/60 Hz and recently ordered a new one which supports 1080p in 24 Hz.

The reason getting a new TV is that I saw one which supported 1080p in 24 Hz connected to XBMC running 1080p in 24 Hz (Windows version). The movie was played back much smoother and I just had to get a new TV.

Before ordering one I did some testing though. I tried running XBMC for Mac (on my Mac Mini), Linux (Live) and Windows version (on my ION laptop). No matter what TV (Sharp, Samsung and Panasonic) and which computer (Mac Mini or ION laptop) I used, the playback of 24 fps content always looked much better in the 1080p / 24 Hz mode.

Could it be that we are all more or less sensitive to this?

idioteque: Are you 100% sure that you see absolutely no difference between 24 Hz and 60 Hz when playing 24 fps content? To be honest I find this very strange, since I see quite a big difference.

idioteque: I've content that is 24fps (23.976), 25fps, 30fps (29.97) and 50fps. I would very much like XBMC to automatically switch display output so I get perfect playback. Are you saying that running 1080p in 60 Hz will result in perfect playback no matter what fps the content has?

Edit: I hope I don't appear to be rude, I'm just curious since my experience is very different.
idioteque Wrote:Try pressing "O" during play and turn Debug Log on to see what's going on

Are many frames dropped?

will do!
-= XBMC Lover © 2006 =-
---------------------------------------
XBMC @ Lenovo Q180, harmony one, Sony Bravia KDL-55W905, Marantz SR5006, MySQL XBMC Database @ Synology DS-409+ (thx Firnsy)
XBMC @ Lenovo Q150 and a Panasonic Plasma for bedrooming ;)
tronix Wrote:I just read this thread, because I currently have a TV which only supports 1080p in 50/60 Hz and recently ordered a new one which supports 1080p in 24 Hz.

The reason getting a new TV is that I saw one which supported 1080p in 24 Hz connected to XBMC running 1080p in 24 Hz (Windows version). The movie was played back much smoother and I just had to get a new TV.

Before ordering one I did some testing though. I tried running XBMC for Mac (on my Mac Mini), Linux (Live) and Windows version (on my ION laptop). No matter what TV (Sharp, Samsung and Panasonic) and which computer (Mac Mini or ION laptop) I used, the playback of 24 fps content always looked much better in the 1080p / 24 Hz mode.

Could it be that we are all more or less sensitive to this?

idioteque: Are you 100% sure that you see absolutely no difference between 24 Hz and 60 Hz when playing 24 fps content? To be honest I find this very strange, since I see quite a big difference.

idioteque: I've content that is 24fps (23.976), 25fps, 30fps (29.97) and 50fps. I would very much like XBMC to automatically switch display output so I get perfect playback. Are you saying that running 1080p in 60 Hz will result in perfect playback no matter what fps the content has?

Edit: I hope I don't appear to be rude, I'm just curious since my experience is very different.

tronix: same here! i read around and maybe found a declaration for the "smoothness" - the panasonic plasma multiplies the framerate (24Hz x 4 = 96 Hz). So every movie which is played in 24Hz looks very smooth. If you switch the xbmc to 60Hz the pana maybe didnt check the 24p signal the right way (because xbmc do not change the framerate from 60 to 24Hz?). its a really strange problem.

the other problem is. when i switch the mac mini to 24Hz the menu stutters, the normal PAL movies also (because the need 25Hz/50Hz).
-= XBMC Lover © 2006 =-
XBMC @ Lenovo Q180, harmony one, Sony Bravia KDL-55W905, Marantz SR5006, MySQL XBMC Database @ Synology DS-409+ (thx Firnsy)
Quote:idioteque: Are you 100% sure that you see absolutely no difference between 24 Hz and 60 Hz when playing 24 fps content? To be honest I find this very strange, since I see quite a big difference.

Edit: I hope I don't appear to be rude, I'm just curious since my experience is very different

For 1 thing, I am very sensitive to non-smooth motion in film. I notice a 1 frames drop. Which is very annoying since I must have absolute smooth playback.

Now, smoothplayback can mean a lot of things. For me smooth playback means that:

1: no frames are dropped (due to slow cpu, GPU or network issues. Dropped means frames are not displayed at all)
2: no unnatural motion in pans and/or tilts. (eg a smooth pan with no jurks)
3: as I am very sensitive to smooth motion I dont like 24p movies played at 24Hz. I experience these movies as jurky. In cinema's I dont have this, probably because of the bigger screen and the whole environment. This however is VERY personal.

I have set my Panasonic TV to 60hz after much trail and error to see what I found to be the smoothes motion. ( personal see 3)

Now all movies in XBMC are played at 60hz,

So:
24fps@60hz
29,970@60hz
23,976@60hz

etc. All is played on my panasonic @ 60hz and all is smooth

Most movies I play are 1080P 4.1 High scene releases, All TV-series are 720P 4.1 High scene releases. Some are Xvid/DivX SD

A pan in the Bluray Earth is smooth, perhaps not 24fps but for me personally it is smooth. Again a personal taste

The mac Mini in combination with XBMC Out of the Box does not have the ability to switch refreshrate. I know there are some software solutions to fix that but I dont use them.

What I can do is use a Panasonic TM700 50fps Camcorder to record 23,976 and 29,970 and post the results. I am aware that shutterspeed etc wont completely get the effect but with Debug Log and info screen open you can get some feel.
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
One more thing:

When using a Panasonic TV make sure the TV settings are correct and IFC is turned OFF

Other settings:
Intelligent Frame Creation = Off
Super resolution=Off
Automatic Standby=4 hours
Energysaving = Off
16:9 imagescan= Off
Timezone= Auto
DVI input settings= Complete

Image Settings:
THX
Contrast= 36
Lun= -3
Color= 30
Sharpness= 6
Vivid Colors = Off
Eco = Off
P-NR = Off
Panel = On

Advanced Settings (ifs)

R=+2
G=-1
B=0
R-block=+2
G-block=-2
B-block=0
Gamma=2.2

Software version

2405-100000

In general, make sure that all "image enhancement" settings are turned OFF
idioteque Wrote:Now all movies in XBMC are played at 60hz,

So:
24fps@60hz
29,970@60hz
23,976@60hz

strange. it doesnt work for me - curious. how is your audio setup? with optical-out to the AV-receiver?
-= XBMC Lover © 2006 =-
I have optical out to seperate 2.0 DAC to stereo
okay. me the same way through optical to an onky 5.1 AV. because i also read something about syncprobs between audio and video streams when the source is splitted (like here: audio with SPDIF and video with miniDVI)
-= XBMC Lover © 2006 =-
Please define not smooth and which type of files you play.

I made a How-To guide that explaines a lot:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=87749
oh nice one idioteque. didnt checked this guide yet - but will do tonight

with smooth i mean that a 24p movie (1080p fullhd mkv BD-Rips) plays without any stuttering on fast camera-moves. you will have a little bit of stuttering because every plasma has this "feature" - the main difference between lcd and plasma TV's. its the same thing like sitting in the cinema and watching a movie. there you also can see some stuttering when the camera moves fast.

anyway. when i have my mac on 60Hz and watch a 24p movie you can definitly see permanent stuttering like a game which is played on a old-equipped pc (bad framerate beloiw 50fps). with the main difference that the mac mini only uses 6% cpu Wink
-= XBMC Lover © 2006 =-

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to get 1080p/24p running smooth on a Panasonic Plasma1