Prevent Auto-Suspend when samba shares or upnp sharing active
I have my xbmc setup connected to my TV and I want to extend it to use as a media share server.

My problem is that if someone wakes up xbmc remotely (wake-on-lan) then either:
1) my computer will be on indefinitely until someone manually turns it off or
2) the automatic suspend timer will put the computer to sleep and disconnect anyone watching videos over upnp/samba or tvheadend

Does anyone know of a simple way to have the computer (I use Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick) poll network traffic and prevent a suspend if there's enough traffic to pass a defined threshold?

I understand that it wouldn't be something to do within xbmc because xbmc doesn't necessarily have a way to monitor network traffic and modify the suspend behavior.

It seems like the best way would be to poll network traffic, because it's possible that it could be from upnp, samba, or tvheadend or anything else- so that polling individual services could get cumbersome. And anyways, a service like tvheadend is always running while the system is up, but that doesn't mean it's transferring data over the home server.

I've seen that it might be possible using 'sleepd' but I can't find much of anything on how to actually use sleepd.
[Reposted in a general section]

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Prevent Auto-Suspend when samba shares or upnp sharing active0