IRDA receiver once and for all answer please
Hunting everywhere and finally I think I've found my answer but can someone confirm once and for-all.

Use of IRDA receiver connected to motherboard IR connector, or Laptop built-in IR receiver will not work as a receiver for remote control codes?

OK, that isn't clear enoughHuh so Try this:

I have Built an IRDA receiver that connects to motherboard IR Header. This supports "IrDA, ASKIR, or SCR transfer modes".

Also have a USB-IRDA dongle.

Please confirm that these two devices are incompatible with receiving the signal from a remote, like a MCE remote or Harmony.

In other words, I HAVE TO get any sort of Media centre remote for the dongle to work with XBMC or EventGhostConfused
Media Companion Dev.
Media Companion - Kodi / XBMC - Media Companion
Those devices will not work - IrDA, et all will not work. You need a CIR (Consumer IR) device.

By yourself a cheap MCE remote and use the adaptor for that and save yourself a heap of trouble.

Either that or buy an old XBOX IR kit and and usb cable for it.
Word of advice, beware of the original XBOX IR remote kit is not compatible with any windows x64. Drivers only available for x86 systems.

Cheers,
EG.
prae5 Wrote:Those devices will not work - IrDA, et all will not work. You need a CIR (Consumer IR) device.

By yourself a cheap MCE remote and use the adaptor for that and save yourself a heap of trouble.

Either that or buy an old XBOX IR kit and and usb cable for it.

elitegamer360 Wrote:Word of advice, beware of the original XBOX IR remote kit is not compatible with any windows x64. Drivers only available for x86 systems.

Cheers,
EG.

Thank you. I had thought about the xbox dongle, but haven't any spare, and they are the same cost as some of the remotes I've looked at.

So basically, any remote with a usb dongle will work? or does it have to say Media centre??

I look on a site in New Zealand called Trademe. Three I'm looking at are

USB Remote Control Windows Media Center PC
or
USB PC Remote Controller
or (and yes, they are different remotes)
USB PC Remote Controller

prefer the first as it's cheaper. Recommendations??
Media Companion Dev.
vbat99 Wrote:Thank you. I had thought about the xbox dongle, but haven't any spare, and they are the same cost as some of the remotes I've looked at.

So basically, any remote with a usb dongle will work? or does it have to say Media centre??

I look on a site in New Zealand called Trademe. Three I'm looking at are

USB Remote Control Windows Media Center PC
or
USB PC Remote Controller
or (and yes, they are different remotes)
USB PC Remote Controller

prefer the first as it's cheaper. Recommendations??

No, not any remote with a USB dongle will work see this wiki page for information about Microsoft MCE compatible remotes, sometimes even some cheap MCE compatible remotes are not 100% compatible so going for the cheapest are not always good. The best remotes are the ones labeled RC6 they will be 100% compatible.

From the choices you've listed I would go for the middle one because it says it's MCE compatible and does not require any drivers to install, that's sounds good because it indicates it will use microsoft's "ehome" driver. I would recommend you contact the seller and ask him if that remote is Windows MCE compatible and if it did not function like advertised would he accepts returns. I can't be held responsible for a product that I have had never tested myself! It's your choice at the end of the day I am only trying to help here.

I would recommend you stay away from remotes with mouse pointers as they are not for faint hearted as not all of them easy to setup.

EDIT: I did not suggest the first option because looks like it has mouse control in the picture and usually on such remotes the "i - More" button are not configurable as it sends a mouse click "left" mouse click if I remeber right.

Cheers,
EG.
elitegamer360 Wrote:No, not any remote with a USB dongle will work see this wiki page for information about Microsoft MCE compatible remotes, sometimes even some cheap MCE compatible remotes are not 100% compatible so going for the cheapest are not always good. The best remotes are the ones labeled RC6 they will be 100% compatible.

Cheers,
EG.

I suppose I should have mentioned, I will be using a Logitech 785 remote for this. I'm only after the right dongle to start with. Also I'm running on Winxp right now but am interested in XBMC Live later.

I forgot this one was in my list too. it says on the packaging 'Windows XP Media Centre Edition'
USB PC Remote Controller support Win7(32bit)
Media Companion Dev.
vbat99 Wrote:I suppose I should have mentioned, I will be using a Logitech 785 remote for this. I'm only after the right dongle to start with. Also I'm running on Winxp right now but am interested in XBMC Live later.

I forgot this one was in my list too. it says on the packaging 'Windows XP Media Centre Edition'

Windows XP might not install the "ehome" driver, you have to find it and install it manually heres a link I found or after installing the remote you may need to go to device manager and update the driver if required.

you are trying to mix platforms and devices which makes it hard for you to find the right product and hard for us to give the appropriate advice really lol.

Any ways Basic rule If you going to use a harmony remote then look for a Microsft MCE compatible remote that is Plug and play that does not require additional driver or software because you will be using the receiver only any ways

Forget about my earlier suggestion in the previous post because I just realised all the remotes you posted has mouse functions I do not recomend any of them Big Grin I only recommend RC6 remotes Nod

Cheers,
EG.
But as I said even if you go for a MCE compatible remote with a mouse function you might be alright because you will be using Harmony remote at the end of the day. So no need to worry except for the remotes with mouse functions some of their buttons will not be configurable.

Cheers,
EG.
Well, checking through your link on the Wiki page, I came across the unbranded MCE remote, and damn if it doesn't look just like the first remote I listed.

So I'll hit the buy button on that one. Excellent.

Thanks so much for being patient.
Media Companion Dev.
vbat99 Wrote:I suppose I should have mentioned, I will be using a Logitech 785 remote for this. I'm only after the right dongle to start with. Also I'm running on Winxp right now but am interested in XBMC Live later.

This http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing....=335621816 and this http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing....=335773748 which you posted earlier are exactly the same. If you think you like them go for the cheaper one then. Don't forget to ask the seller about returning. Big Grin
at $20 incl freight, if it doesn't work I can resell it. LOL.

Cheers.
Media Companion Dev.
vbat99 Wrote:Well, checking through your link on the Wiki page, I came across the unbranded MCE remote, and damn if it doesn't look just like the first remote I listed.

So I'll hit the buy button on that one. Excellent.

Thanks so much for being patient.

No probs, did you just wake up Big Grin I'm going to sleep now 2am here Rolleyes

Cheers,
EG.
Nope, it's 2.59pm here (daylight Savings and all). Oh and Damn Hot. 36 deg outside and it's not full on summer. still beats living in Australia. hahaha. Oops, no offense Auzzies......
Media Companion Dev.
vbat99 Wrote:Nope, it's 2.59pm here (daylight Savings and all). Oh and Damn Hot. 36 deg outside and it's not full on summer. still beats living in Australia. hahaha. Oops, no offense Auzzies......

Ohh cool I'm jealous now, Freaking snowing yesterday and my boiler broke the day before so you can imagine the freezing situation I was in "-5c" lol.

Good night, oh no! Have a good day "whats left of it". I am off now Rolleyes

Cheers,
EG.
Chilly, rather prefer the cold. Have a good one. And thanks again for the help.

Rob
Media Companion Dev.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IRDA receiver once and for all answer please0