IRDA receiver once and for all answer please
vbat99 Wrote:Well, checking through your link on the Wiki page, I came across the unbranded MCE remote, and damn if it doesn't look just like the first remote I listed.

It's obviously a bit late now, but that is a particularly cheap and nasty remote. Using a Harmony to emulate it will make life a bit easier, but it isn't a remote I would have recommended.

As EliteGamer360 says, by far the best remotes are the eHome/RC6 Microsoft compatibles. You pay more but it's worth it. The Harmony will emulate an MS remote so it works without you having to learn all the signals from the old handset.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:It's obviously a bit late now, but that is a particularly cheap and nasty remote. Using a Harmony to emulate it will make life a bit easier, but it isn't a remote I would have recommended.

As EliteGamer360 says, by far the best remotes are the eHome/RC6 Microsoft compatibles. You pay more but it's worth it. The Harmony will emulate an MS remote so it works without you having to learn all the signals from the old handset.

JR

@jhsrennie

All I want is the IR Receiver. In the end I will program my Harmony to emulate the ms as mentioned. Just needed to get the right receiver. Cheers.Big Grin
Media Companion Dev.
Media Companion - Kodi / XBMC - Media Companion
vbat99 Wrote:@jhsrennie

All I want is the IR Receiver. In the end I will program my Harmony to emulate the ms as mentioned. Just needed to get the right receiver. Cheers.Big Grin

The receiver you've bought won't work with the Harmony using MS emulation.

It's tempting to think that all MCE remotes will be compatible because that seems sensible. Sadly it isn't case. Any fully Microsoft compatible receiver will work with any fully MS compatible handset (including the Harmony) but the receiver with the remote you've bought isn't MS compatible.

By all means try it, but i suspect the only way you'll get the Harmony to work with that receiver is to laboriously learn all the IR signals from the old handset.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:The receiver you've bought won't work with the Harmony using MS emulation.

It's tempting to think that all MCE remotes will be compatible because that seems sensible. Sadly it isn't case. Any fully Microsoft compatible receiver will work with any fully MS compatible handset (including the Harmony) but the receiver with the remote you've bought isn't MS compatible.

By all means try it, but i suspect the only way you'll get the Harmony to work with that receiver is to laboriously learn all the IR signals from the old handset.

JR

Oh Cr**. OK, I can make this work....I'll just have to follow some of the other threads about keymapping and the likes.

Looks like I might be spending some time in the registry after all. Stare

Still, its a start. I can live with it till I have the dosh to get a True MS unit and receiver. Thanks for the info.
Media Companion Dev.
@jhsrennie

I picked up this unit USB Remote Control Windows Media Center PC and it states
Quote:NEW USB Remote Control Windows Media Center PC Plug Play Support : Windows 2000 / XP / ME / Vista

Watch movies and view photos without having to touch your mouse or keyboard , listening the music, watching the movie, website scan will become more convenience .
Plug and play - no driver or software required to operate Wireless mouse functions <--Ignore this, not interested in mouse functionality

Also, it's the same one as on the Wiki - Remote Control Reviews, Unbranded MCE remote Unbranded MCE remote.

Wiki mentions
Quote:It can be used with Logitech Harmony Remote Software by picking Computer>>Media Center PC>>Chinavasion>>CVSB-983.

So maybe a few changes in the keyboard.xml will be required. WinkI might be leaning heavily on yours and elitegamer360 expertise for thisNod

Hopefuly this will give me an advantage in getting the Harmony to work with it and XBMC.
Media Companion Dev.
vbat99 Wrote:Wiki mentions

It can be used with Logitech Harmony Remote Software by picking Computer>>Media Center PC>>Chinavasion>>CVSB-983.

So maybe a few changes in the keyboard.xml will be required. WinkI might be leaning heavily on yours and elitegamer360 expertise for thisNod

Hopefuly this will give me an advantage in getting the Harmony to work with it and XBMC.

Ah, I hadn't seen that. If the Harmony will emulate your remote that makes life much easier. Dharma already has mappings for all the standard MCE keystrokes, so you won't need to modify keyboard.xml unless you want to map buttons that aren't in the standard mapping.

If you do need to edit keyboard.xml grab my keymap editor from http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/ as it will make life much easier. It even has a keypress detector so you can just press a button on the remote and KeyMapEdit will create the mapping entry for you.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:Ah, I hadn't seen that. If the Harmony will emulate your remote that makes life much easier. Dharma already has mappings for all the standard MCE keystrokes, so you won't need to modify keyboard.xml unless you want to map buttons that aren't in the standard mapping.

If you do need to edit keyboard.xml grab my keymap editor from http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/ as it will make life much easier. It even has a keypress detector so you can just press a button on the remote and KeyMapEdit will create the mapping entry for you.

JR

That's going to make life much simpler.

Well the new remote arrived yesterday, and plugged in the receiver and had a quick play with the remote. HuhAnyone say "UGLY"

Definitely be reprogramming my Harmony for this. Only cavet I have is forgotten my username and password for Logitech's site so I know when I reconnect my remote it'll be wiped. Confused So I've been busy writing down all my current setup. Rofl
Media Companion Dev.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IRDA receiver once and for all answer please0