Is there a skin with only up and down navigation?
Is there a skin with only up and down navigation, where I can map left to escape and right to enter?

I would like XBMC to work more like TiVo and Squeezebox for navigation using up and down to select options, right to select and left to go back a menu.

Most of the skins seem to need up, down, left and right to navigate since they have layouts (including panels) using both dimensions.
Nope, but it is definitely possible.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Why you want to depend the navigation of your choice of skin? If I am correct you can adjust the navigation on keymap.xml or another file.
tikkiew Wrote:Why you want to depend the navigation of your choice of skin? If I am correct you can adjust the navigation on keymap.xml or another file.

I think the skin would have to be to not have any screens that have left/right/up/down navigation required in addition to back (left in tivo) and select (right).

Its an interesting idea -
boykster Wrote:I think the skin would have to be to not have any screens that have left/right/up/down navigation required in addition to back (left in tivo) and select (right).

Its an interesting idea -

Yes - that's it. Right now a common style is to have the media items selected using up and down, and the view options such as sort order and view layout set in a panel that you get to by pressing left or right.

A new skin would need to add the options panel as an item in the list of media items:
Movie 1
Movie 2
Movie 3
View Options

I'm thinking about it because my other devices (Tivo, Squeezebox) work this way and it would require fewer of my CPU cycles if I didn't have to think about it when switching to XBMC.
Drex Wrote:Yes - that's it. Right now a common style is to have the media items selected using up and down, and the view options such as sort order and view layout set in a panel that you get to by pressing left or right.

A new skin would need to add the options panel as an item in the list of media items:
Movie 1
Movie 2
Movie 3
View Options

I'm thinking about it because my other devices (Tivo, Squeezebox) work this way and it would require fewer of my CPU cycles if I didn't have to think about it when switching to XBMC.

Actually that type of navigation is very old, I think it was Motif. With cascading menus. Back a full circle.Laugh

What if you use only List views and reassign the Left arrow to "Back" and Right arrow to "Enter" in keyboard.xml? That'll be very close to what you want?
bodhi Wrote:What if you use only List views and reassign the Left arrow to "Back" and Right arrow to "Enter" in keyboard.xml? That'll be very close to what you want?

I think this will work, I would lose some features, like being able to set the sort order and view mode, and being able to use the panel under videos to choose movies, tvshows, files, etc. Otherwise it should be OK.
Drex Wrote:...being able to use the panel under videos to choose movies, tvshows, files, etc.

You can also get these back by using Skin Mod that has customizable home menu like Influence Dharma or this Confluence Mod (add the categories to home menu). Both Mods work very well. I even added a favorite film director and a favorite song writer to Home menu. Because this selection feature is so user-friendly, I figured this will be something I'd use instead of using playlists.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is there a skin with only up and down navigation?0