Advice on getting PC running XBMC
Hi,

I have an old Tranquil T2 mini-itx based media PC that has had a dead PSU for a couple of years or so.

Decided to try today to resurect it and make an XBMC PC - my main objective is to replace my old XBOX with this PC to allow me to have improved VGA quality rather than the composite from the XBOX but also to have SKYPE on my TV.

I plugged in a strandard 300w ATX PSU and it all powered up OK

Tried the LIVE XBMC CD but hardware not supported

Tried a WIN7 install with XBMC but get the white screen on video playback with the latest build.

Looked through the forums and it looks like the intel 845 integrated graphics isn't up to the job.

So decided to add a PCI card and replace the power supply however I'm concerned that the DC-DC power supplies won't be able to cope with the power requirements.

The spec is as follows...

SYSTEM BOARD : LV-675
CPU: P4M 2.0Ghz
MEMORY : 1x stick 1Gb RAM
DVD - UJ845B
HDD – Samsung SP4514N

It will also need to power the following USB devices
MS Webcam
Linksys Skype phone receiver
Microsoft Media Centre Receiver

The Power solution that fits my system is as follows...

picoPSU-120 12V DC-DC ATX power supply
110W 12v Adapter

I ordered this power supply but then looked into a graphics card

8400GS

It then began to concern me that the power supply wouldn't be able to handle the extra power for the card...

So I have now cancelled this order...

Can anyone advise if this power supply will work with this extra demand of the graphics card?

If not any advice on the following.

1) A solution for the integrated graphics that will run XBMC with an OS that I can also run Skype (I tried an old build XBMC wouldn't run)

cost- replace PSU (around £130)
benefit - tidy system

2) I just buy a standard 300W 20 pin ATX power supply and hang this off the back and add a PCI graphics card
cost- standard PSU & PCI graphics (around £60)
benefit - cheaper
drawback - Untidy PSU hanging out the back of PC

3) I bin the lot and buy a (must be QUIET! and ) PC - any suggestions?
benefit - it'll just work!
drawback - cost

Any advice really appreciated.

Thanks

Lawrence.
Update - the TV I have is a Sony KDL46W2000 which needs 1360 x 768 60Hz D-Sub input.....

digiboy Wrote:Hi,

I have an old Tranquil T2 mini-itx based media PC that has had a dead PSU for a couple of years or so.

Decided to try today to resurect it and make an XBMC PC - my main objective is to replace my old XBOX with this PC to allow me to have improved VGA quality rather than the composite from the XBOX but also to have SKYPE on my TV.

I plugged in a strandard 300w ATX PSU and it all powered up OK

Tried the LIVE XBMC CD but hardware not supported

Tried a WIN7 install with XBMC but get the white screen on video playback with the latest build.

Looked through the forums and it looks like the intel 845 integrated graphics isn't up to the job.

So decided to add a PCI card and replace the power supply however I'm concerned that the DC-DC power supplies won't be able to cope with the power requirements.

The spec is as follows...

SYSTEM BOARD : LV-675
CPU: P4M 2.0Ghz
MEMORY : 1x stick 1Gb RAM
DVD - UJ845B
HDD – Samsung SP4514N

It will also need to power the following USB devices
MS Webcam
Linksys Skype phone receiver
Microsoft Media Centre Receiver

The Power solution that fits my system is as follows...

picoPSU-120 12V DC-DC ATX power supply
110W 12v Adapter

I ordered this power supply but then looked into a graphics card

8400GS

It then began to concern me that the power supply wouldn't be able to handle the extra power for the card...

So I have now cancelled this order...

Can anyone advise if this power supply will work with this extra demand of the graphics card?

If not any advice on the following.

1) A solution for the integrated graphics that will run XBMC with an OS that I can also run Skype (I tried an old build XBMC wouldn't run)

cost- replace PSU (around £130)
benefit - tidy system

2) I just buy a standard 300W 20 pin ATX power supply and hang this off the back and add a PCI graphics card
cost- standard PSU & PCI graphics (around £60)
benefit - cheaper
drawback - Untidy PSU hanging out the back of PC

3) I bin the lot and buy a (must be QUIET! and ) PC - any suggestions?
benefit - it'll just work!
drawback - cost

Any advice really appreciated.

Thanks

Lawrence.
You may not need a discrete graphics card if the CPU is strong enough (ofc depends on what you're trying to play).

Get the Dharma rc2, it fixes the white screen and has a 'software renderer' option that you should try if your GPU doesn't have enough shader power.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
CrystalP Wrote:You may not need a discrete graphics card if the CPU is strong enough (ofc depends on what you're trying to play).

Get the Dharma rc2, it fixes the white screen and has a 'software renderer' option that you should try if your GPU doesn't have enough shader power.

Thanks for reply... I just tried that and failed.... ;-(

see other thread...
The log in the other thread is not a debug log and doesn't contain much. If jmarshall's suggestion doesn't work, you'll need to upload a debug log on pastebin.com and post a link.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advice on getting PC running XBMC0