Ubuntu and XBMC, Newbie Questions
I'm setting up a FrontEnd machine tonight/this weekend, and want to make sure things go as smooth as possible.

FYI. I tried last night, following the Wiki Here, and received some dependencies errors in trying to install XBMC.

In The Wiki, under "Adding the XBMC Repo", it states to substitute Jaunty for your version...... How do you determine what version you have?

I also googled and found this "Quick" Install howto here as well, but have yet to try it.

I'll probably look to start again with fresh install of Ubuntu 10.10, or to try and remove any references to XBMC as mentioned in this post here, and try again.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
PT
Try this
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=87132
ptmuldoon Wrote:In The Wiki, under "Adding the XBMC Repo", it states to substitute Jaunty for your version...... How do you determine what version you have?

well, it was you who downloaded the ubuntu ISO so you really should know... Wink

okay, first things first: you seem to be using 10.10 which is the maverick meercat. for maverick you need to add the SVN repo (as rikardo detailed in the other thread) and get the most current dharma SVN build as there will only be a maverick XBMC build in stable ppa once dharma goes final.

and forget the quick install instructions, they tell users to switch their distribution version for XBMC to lucid which is not really recommended.

btw if you want something like a thin client XBMC machine, try the XBMCbuntu wiki.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Thanks guys. I got up and running with Ricardo's link, and installing from the command line. I also installed a number of skins, including the Rapier skin for Dharma (my preferred choice). XBMC seems a little sluggish in the menu changing and did some brief testing of a movie or two, which looked to play ok as well. But I may do a fresh re-install once I learn more some more.

Another question (as I also start to scour the forums and wiki)....... my case came with prewired IR port, which I connect to an internal USB header on the MB. Has anyone gotten ubuntu to recognize these IR ports, or any tips on setting it up with XBMC?

I also have an RF keyboard to work with but setting a IR remote for the Mrs. would be the preferred choice.
do we have to guess which case you are using?

either way, get familiar with LIRC and post output of lsusb this may help identify the IR chip
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Well, its a case from ebay Here, and is basically a clone of a Silverstone LC02.

And per the description it has a "IR port with & has circuit board & cable installed".

But I'll post back hopefully later tonight the output of lsusb. I'm reading up now some on LIRC info in the xbmc wiki.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu and XBMC, Newbie Questions0