XBMC and shared settings
hi, I'm running XBMC on various platforms. I'd like to have my configuration settings, specifically what things I've watched and not, shared.

Is it possible to do this? I can easily set up the config file somewhere on a shared network location, but would XBMC be able to use this information and give me the same data on several platforms?
There isn't an easy way to achieve what you want. XBMC only looks for the settings in your profile ($home in *nix, %appdata% in Windows) or in Windows there is an option to use portable mode in which case settings are kept in the C:\program Files\XBMC directory.

XBMC can keep settings on a central MySQL server, though obviously this is only useful if you have a MySQL server you can rely on to be always available.

JR
I do have an always ready mysql server. Do you have any documentation for how?

It does seem though, that this would be a really nice feature to have, without the requirement of a mysql server.
eydaimon Wrote:I do have an always ready mysql server. Do you have any documentation for how?

It does seem though, that this would be a really nice feature to have, without the requirement of a mysql server.

The MySQL support is new in Dharma and isn't documented in wiki.xbmc.org yet (to be fair it isn't officially released yet :-) but if you search the forum for MySQL you'll find lots of threads discussing it. I don't use it myself but the feedback seems to be that it works very well.

There is OS support for central user settings. In Windows you can use roaming profiles and I assume some such mechanism exists in *nix. However nota bene that XBMC doesn't support two installations trying to read/write to the same userdata at the same time. You'll get locking issues and possibly a corrupt database. Fixing this requires using a more complex database system like, erm, MySQL :-)

JR
Ah, sweet. Thanks for the thorough explanation! Smile
ADding this here for the record. This seems pretty complete

http://lifehacker.com/5634515/how-to-syn...-the-house

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC and shared settings0