HOW-TO watch Hulu using XBMC and a Remote from your couch, without keyboard or mouse
Star 
This is a little trick I devised in order to watch Hulu from XBMC without having to Get up from the Couch or Use a Keyboard(If you have a Remote of some Kind SetUp) or Mouse. Plus you don't need to be a HuluPlus subscriber. As you may have Noticed Hulu isn't on XBMC and for the Matter they don't like what Boxee is doing Either(I don't like it either because it hardly works at all.) I found a Clever way and it doesn't require you to have some Hacked Plug-In or Something in Order to Watch. Here's How you do it:
NOTE: This Guide is for Linux(Mainly Ubuntu) however this Method should Work on Windows and Mac as well with some Changing to Directories and minus the Link file, However I only have XBMC Installed on Linux so I can't give specifics for Windows and Mac
  1. First go to This:Link and Download the HuluDesktop App, That's right it's an Official App.
    Alternatively, if you have Ubuntu, you can get it from the SuperOS Repo and running the Following Command in Terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install huludesktop
  2. Next Grab the "Launcher" Program Add-On. Then Open it from the Program Menu.
  3. A Window will Pop-Up, Choose the First Option.
  4. Now it asks you to Browse to the Program. Unfortunately XBMC doesn't Let you Browse to where HuluDesktop is. So here's a Workaround:
    1. First hit the ForwardSlash Key"\" to "Window" XBMC.
    2. Next Open Up a Folder Window and Browse to "/usr"
    3. Right-Click the "bin" folder and click "Make Link" a New File should appear called "Link to bin"
      (Note you may need to be Root in order to do this: )
      Quote:Open Terminal and Type "sudo nautilus". In the New Nautilus window restart from Step b.
    4. Now Move the File "Link to bin" to your Home Folder
  5. You get to go back to XBMC now. Now you should be able to go into your Home Folder from the File Browser and go to the Folder called "Link to bin".
  6. In this folder browse Down to "huludesktop" and then click "OK"
  7. Next you can Name it Whatever you want but I prefer "HuluDesktop"
    That's it your Done! You can Open Context Menu and Add it To your Favorites. Otherwise just Select "HuluDesktop" and XBMC should Window Automatically and open HuluDesktop. When you Close HuluDesktop XBMC should Fullscreen again automatically.

You should be able to figure out HuluDesktop by yourself but for reference these are the Keyboard Controls:
KeyboardKey=MenuCommands
  • ArrowKeys=Well You can Guess
  • Enter/SpaceBar=Ok
  • Escape/TAB=Toggle between Menu and Now Playing
KeyboardKey=PlayerCommands
  • Left/Right=Skip Back/Foward
  • Hold Left/Right=Seek Back/Forward
  • Up/Down=Volume Up/Down
  • Enter/SpaceBar=Pause and Bring up Pause Menu
  • Escape/TAB=Toggle between Menu and Now Playing
For More Keyboard Commands and other Help Simply Navigate to the Help Menu Option.

Post here if you have any Questions.
Which "launcher" program

Grab it from where?

Are you referring to this

http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-launcher/downloads/list

What do I run from the program menu

launcher_plugin.py?

I cannot double click it to run it with our flavor of xfce

I'll try installing an editor and see if that give us the ability to execute the script

We're still a n00b with XBMC & linux

tnx
Make sure you are using the latest dharma build. Then go to system/addons/get addons/all addons/program addons/ and download launcher.

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
Do you have any input as to getting this working with a remote. It recognizes my first remote button press but after that it goes nuts. (harmony 550 remote and MCE USB receiver)
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
Exclamation 
b0b_zee Wrote:Which "launcher" program

Grab it from where?

Are you referring to this

http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-launcher/downloads/list

What do I run from the program menu

launcher_plugin.py?

I cannot double click it to run it with our flavor of xfce

I'll try installing an editor and see if that give us the ability to execute the script

We're still a n00b with XBMC & linux

tnx

harryzimm Wrote:Make sure you are using the latest dharma build. Then go to system/addons/get addons/all addons/program addons/ and download launcher.

cheers

Do what harryzimm said then just go to "Programs" on the Main menu and Click "Launcher".

You can also get this in the Stable Release of XBMC. Download this ZIP File:HERE, Then Extract it to "/home/[User]/.xbmc/Plugins/Programs". After that you can continue on with the Rest of the How-To.

PS: Here's a Guide to help you with XBMC:LifeHacker:The Ultimate Start to Finish Guide to Your XBMC Media Center

Also here's more Info on Using the Launcher Plug-In/Add-On:Lifehacker:Turn Your XBMC Media Center into a Video Game Console

htpc guy Wrote:Do you have any input as to getting this working with a remote. It recognizes my first remote button press but after that it goes nuts. (harmony 550 remote and MCE USB receiver)

Unfortunately I don't, I use a Hacked DS as my Remote but go to this Guide:LifeHacker:The Ultimate Start to Finish Guide to Your XBMC Media Center, and Scroll Down to the "Set Up Your Remote" Section. I hope that helps.
Or (and I'm not trying to be a jerk) you could just add bluecop's repo and install the hulu plugin.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=79148
hule desktop and flash run like shit on my Ubuntu 10.10 x64. How about you?
Rainbow 
cowfodder Wrote:Or (and I'm not trying to be a jerk) you could just add bluecop's repo and install the hulu plugin.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=79148

Unfortunately the Pug-Ins don't work on the Beta XBMC which is a shame. But I'd prefer using an Official Program anyway because of the near 100% reliability. I'm fed up with the "Hacked" methods because they often stop working or I'm not guaranteed a Smooth Viewing Experience. For now I'll stick to the Official way as I get more options with the Official App and more Reliability.

EDIT:
@zepfan
I'm Running Wubi-Ubuntu 10.04 x86 with Official Adobe Flash on a 512mbRAM Laptop that was designed for Average WinXP Running.
HuluDesktop Works fine, Probably would work even better if I didn't have a ton of Crap installed(I mess around alot trying things) even my WebBrowsers Run slowly when they Ran Nice and Swift when I Fresh installed Ubuntu. I'll probably have to consider a Clean Re-Install of Ubuntu.
I must be a techno-tard

We're running XFCE Ubuntu 10.04 / .23 Myth and want to use XBMC as the front end

We've installed XBMC and it works now I just want to tweak it by integrating Hulu, minitube etc like I had in the myth frontend

Everyone is suggesting I simply go to launcher and run it

I don't have that anywhere

I downloaded the zip, unarchived it and dropped it into the plugins directory and still nothing

I installed the Hulu Desktop directly and it works just fine under Mythbuntu

applications>>multimedia>>hulu desktop

All I want to do is integrate it into the XBMC menu system

With the frickin' Mythbuntu frontend all you need to do is edit copy mainmenu.xml to the user directory with this

cp /usr/share/mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/mainmenu.xml ~/.mythtv

and drop in this

<button>
<text>Hulu Desktop</text>
<action>EXEC /usr/bin/huludesktop</action>
</button>

and it works

Maybe I should just wait by the curb for the short bus < : /
Lightbulb 
b0b_zee Wrote:I must be a techno-tard

We're running XFCE Ubuntu 10.04 / .23 Myth and want to use XBMC as the front end

We've installed XBMC and it works now I just want to tweak it by integrating Hulu, minitube etc like I had in the myth frontend

Everyone is suggesting I simply go to launcher and run it

I don't have that anywhere

I downloaded the zip, unarchived it and dropped it into the plugins directory and still nothing

I installed the Hulu Desktop directly and it works just fine under Mythbuntu

applications>>multimedia>>hulu desktop

All I want to do is integrate it into the XBMC menu system

With the frickin' Mythbuntu frontend all you need to do is edit copy mainmenu.xml to the user directory with this

cp /usr/share/mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/mainmenu.xml ~/.mythtv

and drop in this

<button>
<text>Hulu Desktop</text>
<action>EXEC /usr/bin/huludesktop</action>
</button>

and it works

Maybe I should just wait by the curb for the short bus < : /
First Make sure you've extracted the files to "/.xbmc/plugins/programs/Launcher/[Launcher's Files]"

Next make sure you made a Link file to the "/usr" Directory(Found in the Root Filesystem) and Place the Link in your Home Folder. Browse to the link then Proceed to "/bin/huludesktop", Say no to Variables, Choose a Name and it should now Work. If you Right-Click your Newly created Launcher Shortcut you can click "Add to Favorites", it will now appear in your Favorites Menu.

If your still confused, Remember that Launcher appears in the Programs Menu. If you don't see the Programs Menu, you either Aren't using the Default Skin or Don't have it Enabled in Settings for your Specific Skin.

If you're still having trouble then I suggest you think about upgrading to the Current Testing Release of XBMC: Dharma Release Candidate 2(Can be found on http://www.xbmc.org/downloads) and Follow my Guide to Install the Add-On version of Launcher.
Anyone get this working on a Mac?

The whole "Make Link" thing is windows-specific, and I can't get the Launcher program to recognize the HuluDesktop application.
chemderived Wrote:Anyone get this working on a Mac?

The whole "Make Link" thing is windows-specific, and I can't get the Launcher program to recognize the HuluDesktop application.

No it Works in Linux. As Proof I'm running HuluDesktop from XBMC using Launcher on Linux. No Problems at all. I think I may make a Video guide since People seem to be having so much trouble. Or at Least Provide Screenshots.
It works great Smile Thanks for the HOWTO Smile Its really awesome.
Acer something AMD A8-3800K with Trinity Radeon HD6650 (512MB), 10GB DDR3, Ubuntu 15.04, NO KODI HELP Audio: Working great Analog 5.1 (with Infinity Reference Sub and Center).
On Windows 7...

@b0b_zee

Once you've downloaded the Launcher zip, install it from within XBMC:

1) From default skin, open System, then Add-ons
2) Select 'Install from zip file'
3) Navigate to the launcher zip file on your local machine
4) Once installed, return to the home screen and select Programs
5) 'Launcher' should appear in the list of program add-ons

Next, download and install the HuluDesktop client, noting the installation path. Once it's installed, return to XBMC.

1) Open the Launcher program by selecting it from the Programs menu
2) Select 'Standalone (normal PC executable)
3) Browse to the HuluDesktop.installation folder (default install for me was %localappdata%\huludesktop) and select HuluDesktop.exe
4) No need to pass the app any arguments
5) Set the title to whatever you want it to appear as under the Programs, Launcher menu

When you return to the Programs menu and select launcher, you should see HuluDesktop there (or whatever you chose to name the shortcut).

I think I got all the steps there...
Quick question. I'm using Windows 7, and I have Launcher working to start HULU Desktop, but it doesn't pass focus to Hulu Desktop when using a remote.

What I mean is that Hulu Desktop launches in full screen, and I can see the mouse pointer, but I can't do anything with the remote until I use the mouse to left click and gain focus in Hulu.

I just moved from Media Center/Media Browser using similar launching functionality with no issues. So far I love XBMC but this is causing me heartache in the form of the wife complaining it worked better before.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO watch Hulu using XBMC and a Remote from your couch, without keyboard or mouse0