HOW-TO watch Hulu using XBMC and a Remote from your couch, without keyboard or mouse
sfgeek Wrote:On Windows 7...

@b0b_zee

Once you've downloaded the Launcher zip, install it from within XBMC:

1) From default skin, open System, then Add-ons
2) Select 'Install from zip file'
3) Navigate to the launcher zip file on your local machine
4) Once installed, return to the home screen and select Programs
5) 'Launcher' should appear in the list of program add-ons

Next, download and install the HuluDesktop client, noting the installation path. Once it's installed, return to XBMC.

1) Open the Launcher program by selecting it from the Programs menu
2) Select 'Standalone (normal PC executable)
3) Browse to the HuluDesktop.installation folder (default install for me was %localappdata%\huludesktop) and select HuluDesktop.exe
4) No need to pass the app any arguments
5) Set the title to whatever you want it to appear as under the Programs, Launcher menu

When you return to the Programs menu and select launcher, you should see HuluDesktop there (or whatever you chose to name the shortcut).

I think I got all the steps there...

Thank you so much. This works, but I have a problem with focus. When I launch Hulu, it launches in the background (fullscreen), but XBMC flashes and then stays fullscreen in the front. Any idea how to get Hulu to take focus?

thank you!
tmm0f5 Wrote:Thank you so much. This works, but I have a problem with focus. When I launch Hulu, it launches in the background (fullscreen), but XBMC flashes and then stays fullscreen in the front. Any idea how to get Hulu to take focus?

thank you!

See my post above you...same problem except for me Hulu is in front, you just can't use the remote until you left mouseclick. In order to make it in front there is a setting in Hulu Desktop "Always on Top"

I tried installing "Executor" plugin and using that instead of Launcher. I was successful in launching Hulu Desktop and getting focus, but when you exit out of Hulu you'll be looking at your desktop as XBMC minimizes.

So then I used this suggestion to make XBMC be a fullscreened window rather than true fullscreen, but then when you launch Hulu it doesn't get focus anymore.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ight=focus
Well include me into this issue as well. Hulu lauches full screen but can't use the remote until you mouse click to gain focus.

As popular as Hulu is I am surprised theres not a better solution or an official XBMC Plugin that would integrate this much smoother.
Found this:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=83740
Any way to do this in XBMC Live 10?
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
Sad 
maddog808 Wrote:Any way to do this in XBMC Live 10?

Unfortunately, No. You have to be able to install Hulu Desktop and since you're not in Normal Linux you can't do this.

EDIT: Actually, I haven't looked into XBMC Live much. I'll research abit. I'm a little busy right now so don't get your hopes up.
maddog808 Wrote:Any way to do this in XBMC Live 10?

Yes. I'm running XBMC-Live 10 and I've got it to the point where Hulu runs but doesn't run full screen and no remote control yet. That's what led me to this thread. I'll try to remember to update this once I get it fully up and running.
Hey Guys,

Im a newb to this XBMC deal, but can get around in Ubuntu just fine.

Anyway, went through and followed the how to. Everything went fine until I went to click on the HuluDesktop in favorites or in the Launcher folder.

Basically, I click on it, the window disappears for a split second and you can see my desktop and then the XBMC window reappears...I never actually see the Hulu window.

Here is my log file:
http://pastebin.com/mCVzLeTX

Any ideas...i really don't know much about reading log files...maybe something to do with Python?
toddwv Wrote:Yes. I'm running XBMC-Live 10 and I've got it to the point where Hulu runs but doesn't run full screen and no remote control yet. That's what led me to this thread. I'll try to remember to update this once I get it fully up and running.

OK, got it to run fullscreen. No go on the remote yet. I had to adjust the resolution in the .huludesktop file in my home directory to match my screens resolution and switched the x and y positions to 0. Wala! Fullscreen. I'm working on a sound problem right now but will try to get the remote up and running again. It's usable with a keyboard though and since a wireless keyboard is in my future, it's not such a huge deal. Not saying that I won't want to work the keyboard iss out... Right now, I'm trying to get the sound back on my Ubuntu install. Sound was only coming out one speaker so of course I completely broke ALL sound. Smile
For a Remote Control, you only need an interface for the ESC/BACKSPACE(Back Button), ENTER/SPACE(OK Button), and Arrow Keys. In the end you'll need 6 Buttons to Use HuluDesktop.
ssc351 Wrote:Hey Guys,

Im a newb to this XBMC deal, but can get around in Ubuntu just fine.

Anyway, went through and followed the how to. Everything went fine until I went to click on the HuluDesktop in favorites or in the Launcher folder.

Basically, I click on it, the window disappears for a split second and you can see my desktop and then the XBMC window reappears...I never actually see the Hulu window.

Here is my log file:
http://pastebin.com/mCVzLeTX

Any ideas...i really don't know much about reading log files...maybe something to do with Python?

Samething happened to me. I solved it by copy/pasting the huludesktop file in bin (as Root) to my Home folder.

Apparently links are not supported by Launcher (whether Linux or Windows):

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=88401

@b0b_zee

Next, download and install the HuluDesktop client, noting the installation path. Once it's installed, return to XBMC.

3) Browse to the HuluDesktop.installation folder (default install for me was %localappdata%\huludesktop) and select HuluDesktop.exe
5) Set the title to whatever you want it to appear as under the Programs, Launcher menu

When you return to the Programs menu and select launcher, you should see HuluDesktop there (or whatever you chose to name the shortcut).

for me in installed in
users\dave\appdata\local\huludesktop

appdata is a hidden folder in Windows 7, and it doesn't show up in the XBMC launcher.
I tried making a shortcut to it, and moving the huludesktop folder, but that didn't work.

@b0b_zee

I cant get this to work at all am i missing something? when i click onLauncher then the first option for normal PC exe's the only thing i get to select from is My DVD rive E:/ nothing else, how do i add a folder to browse as the instructions in the first post dont work on windows because in windows 7 i dont have a /usr or /bin folder

Heeeeelp...lol

Davie
Hi!

I had the same problem. I finally solved it by manually adding an entry for Hulu Desktop to Launcher.

Launcher creates a config:
Code:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\plugin.program.launcher\launchers.xml

I also added a thumbnail for the launcher by just grabbing one off the net. There are lots. The one I chose this 300x300 jpg, renamed it hulu_icon.jpg, and referenced in launchers.xml.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<launchers>
    <launcher>
        <name>Hulu Desktop</name>
        <application>C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\HuluDesktop\HuluDesktop.exe</application>
        <args></args>
        <rompath></rompath>
        <romext></romext>
        <thumb>C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\HuluDesktop\hulu_icon.jpg</thumb>
        <wait>true</wait>
        <roms>
        </roms>
    </launcher>
</launchers>

Hope that helps! Big Grin

P.S.: Don't forget to shutdown XBMC before you modify launchers.xml or you won't be able to save your changes!
chemderived Wrote:Anyone get this working on a Mac?

The whole "Make Link" thing is windows-specific, and I can't get the Launcher program to recognize the HuluDesktop application.

chemderived,

Take a look at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94757. Hope this helps.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO watch Hulu using XBMC and a Remote from your couch, without keyboard or mouse0