Random album
what i really wanted was for a random album to play from my collection. this boils down to playing a random m3u from a list. the stumbling block (i finally learnt after a fair bit of nail biting) was that the results from file.readlines contain a closing \n and pls.load doesn't like the \n, so it needs to be cut off.

the only pain in using this script is that you'll need to create a file that contains the m3u files you'd like to randomize. from a command line in windows, i did this easily using

dir /b /s *.m3u > albums.txt

i then altered this file to change \ for / and, in my example, g: for smb://(machinename). the goal here is just to get the path recognizable in albums.txt. i then saved this file to the xbox.

of course, it would be much better if the script read through the directory structures, looking for m3u files, then picked a random one. i may get around to this, but i also envisage that this will delay the startup considerably, particularly if the music location is a networked drive.

here's the script if you're feeling brave enough to cut, paste, and ftp. i made this script execute automatically using autoexec.py:

import xbmc
from random import choice

pls = xbmc.playlist(0)

f = open('e:\\applications\\xbmc\\scripts\\albums.txt', 'r')

albums = f.readlines()

f.close()

pls.load(choice(albums)[:-1])

xbmc.player().play(pls)

thanks to alexpoet for the scripts already written to get me started. feel free to use and abuse this script to your heart's content.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Random album0