MAME Frontend Addon
Is there a way to enter the path if your roms are located on a media server (SMB)?
I see only the local path option.

Looks like a good implementation so far, looking forward to trying it.

- milo
Hi Milovoo:
Easiest way is to map network drive in Windows.
Windows Explorer: select Map Network drive (maybe under tools if using WinXP?)

Select a drive, eg: M:\
Put the SMB address underneath: \\servershare\games\mame
or whatever yours is.
Reconnect at Startup so it works each time you switch on.
Go back into XBMC and the Frontend, and you'll see it listed like another hard drive

I just tested it so it works.. there is a bit more delay than having it on a local drive obviously..
XBMC: 10.1 Dharma

On my main desktop XBMC MAME Frontend 2.0.1 works great with MAME 142 64 bit.

However I am trying to set it up on my media pc (same os, same xbmc, same mame version).

When I try to rebuild database (to build it for the first time.. it doesn't show the dialog (Rebuilding..) but just freezes XBMC so I have to close it using Task Manager.

I see the following in the log:
Code:
16:41:53 T:4928 M:2842005504  NOTICE: ['builddb']
16:41:54 T:4928 M:2841866240   DEBUG: unable to load C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.games.xbmame\resources\language\Danish\strings.xml: Failed to open file at line 0
16:41:54 T:4928 M:2841853952    INFO: Loading skin file: DialogProgress.xml
16:41:54 T:4928 M:2841845760   DEBUG: ------ Window Init (DialogProgress.xml) ------
16:41:54 T:4928 M:2841829376 WARNING: msvcrt.dll: dll_fstati64 called, TODO: add 'int64 <-> long' type checking
16:41:54 T:4928 M:2841804800   ERROR: CThread::staticThread : Access violation at 0x77898db9: Writing location 0x00000014
16:41:54 T:4928 M:2841804800    INFO: Python script stopped
16:41:54 T:4928 M:2841804800   DEBUG: Thread 4928 terminating
16:41:55 T:4732 M:2843262976   DEBUG: Thread 4732 terminating (autodelete)
16:41:58 T:4764 M:2843418624   DEBUG: Thread 4764 terminating (autodelete)
16:41:58 T:2488 M:2843459584   DEBUG: Thread 2488 terminating (autodelete)
16:41:58 T:4588 M:2843504640   DEBUG: Thread 4588 terminating (autodelete)

Can anyone give me a hint? I tried reinstalling the addon it didn't help :/

EDIT:
I just tried reinstalling the addon on my dekstop, I now get the same problem on it as well.. Something is fishy..

EDIT2:
Seems related to using PM3.HD .. don't work while using this skin, works fine using the standard Confluence?
Same here.. as above I'm trying to build my database but it won't build it..any help would be appreciated...

Thank YOu.. for bringing mame to xbmc
Developer is looking into the problem.. Just use Confluence for now until a fix is made..
I tried replicating the problem.. I used AeonMQ2, confluence, PM3HD skins

I could rebuild the database (It is much slower than it used to be), but I lost my existing games..

However, I tried the rebuild 'Have/Miss' list and got my database back.. Nod (second option in Maintenance)

Because it's crashed, I would suggest deleting the following folders:
C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.games.xbmame
C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\script.games.xbmame.settings
C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\script.games.xbmame

Delete all 3 and install Mame Frontend again. (PS I'm not the developer just trying to help!) Wink
Hi,

I have managed to get this working really well with the latest version of mame but mouse input doesn't work with Mame within XBMC. I can get the mouse to work running mame at command line but not within XBMC.

I guess the mouse can't be used in XBMC and Mame at the same time but it's frustrating as it's more or less perfect in most ways.

Any help would be appreciated.
Smile 
Ok, running on Ubuntu 32-bit (10.10) with Xbmc 10.1 and latest Mame from ppa and the Mame Frontend from the XBMC repo.

Been altering some of the scripts and I've got it up to the point where its executing the mame -listxml commandline to populate the sqlite DB's but the process/mame thread is stalling every time.

If I'm right the stdout from mame reaches about 45mb when dumped to a file so possible that there's a buffer limit on python on Ubuntu or a threading issue in launching sub threads somewhere.

I'll try some alternative means of launching the thread, removing the popen method and possibly using subprocess and thread modules. Got them working in a standalone script so just need to trace back what's going on inside xbmc and what's making it stop on launching.

If anyone's able to shed light on this please feel free to pm or reply, in the meantime I'll keep on with this and post any success stories.

UPDATE: Dropped in a 'readxml' routine from file as opposed to query mame -listxml. That gave me a library of roms ok. When launching one though it would appear to stall on the launching processes. This points to the crux of the problem I suspect which the spawned thread/processes aren't behaving properly in this addon for linux. Will try some generic executions of alternate apps (like gedit) and see if that works. If not then I'll look how other apps launchers are reliably launching and executing external commands and merge it into this one.
Quote:Windows Explorer: select Map Network drive (maybe under tools if using WinXP?)

That works fine. Thanks. And yes it's a bit slower but not too slow.
Question 
chrisino Wrote:Hi,

I have managed to get this working really well with the latest version of mame but mouse input doesn't work with Mame within XBMC. I can get the mouse to work running mame at command line but not within XBMC.

I guess the mouse can't be used in XBMC and Mame at the same time but it's frustrating as it's more or less perfect in most ways.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'd love to help code / test your version. I have a Ubuntu AppleTV that's dying to run the Mame Frontend.

I cannot seem, however to figure out how to import XBMame into the main class. Here's a snipit of my attempts:

Code:
ADDON_ID = "script.games.xbmame"
sys.path.append(os.path.join(Addon(ADDON_ID).getAddonInfo("path"), "resources", "lib" ))
#BASE_RESOURCE_PATH = os.path.join(addon.getAddonInfo('path'), 'resources' )

#sys.path.append( xbmc.translatePath( os.path.join( BASE_RESOURCE_PATH, 'lib' ) ) )
#sys.path.append( xbmc.translatePath( os.path.join( BASE_RESOURCE_PATH, 'lib', 'obj' ) ) )
#sys.path.append( xbmc.translatePath( os.path.join( BASE_RESOURCE_PATH, 'lib', 'gui' ) ) )

#_path = xbmcaddon.Addon(ADDON_ID).getAddonInfo('path')
#sys.path.append (xbmc.translatePath( os.path.join( _path, 'resources', 'lib' ) ))
#sys.path.append (xbmc.translatePath( os.path.join( _path, 'resources', 'lib', 'obj' ) ))
#sys.path.append (xbmc.translatePath( os.path.join( _path, 'resources', 'lib', 'gui' ) ))

#sys.path.append (xbmc.translatePath( _path + 'resources/lib' ) )
#os.path.join( os.getcwd(), 'resources', 'lib' ) ))
#sys.path.append (xbmc.translatePath( _path + 'resources/lib/obj' ) )
#os.path.join( os.getcwd(), 'resources', 'lib', 'obj' ) ))
#sys.path.append (xbmc.translatePath( _pathxbmc.translatePath( + 'resources/lib/gui' ) )

#sys.path.append(os.path.join(Addon(ADDON_ID).getAddonInfo("path"), "resources", "lib" ))
#sys.path.append(os.path.join(Addon(ADDON_ID).getAddonInfo("path"), "resources", "lib", "obj" ))
#sys.path.append(os.path.join(Addon(ADDON_ID).getAddonInfo("path"), "resources", "lib", "gui" ))
#ARG!!!!!

Code:
ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/home/(my username)/.xbmc/addons/script.games.xbmame/xbmame.py", line 48, in ?
                                                from XBMame import XBMame

I'm new to Python, but it seems much easier than it looks (I'm versed in Java mostly). However, this has caused me a lot of grief!

Happy to help in any way!

ChaosCharza
I've replaced the below in xbmame.py and renamed the imported resource in resources/lib/xbmame.py to XBMameLib.py and got to the point where it'll import and start executing things but it stalls completely when executing the mame -listxml routine inside mameimport.py so I'm going to try to find time to look at how other launchers (such as advanced launcher) execute sub threads without crashing/stalling on this add-on.

Code:
if __name__ == "__main__":
    from XBMameLib import XBMame
richiebabee Wrote:Anyway, having installed Dharma I noticed the MAME frontend add-on and thought I'd give it a go. I dug out an old version of MAME that I had lying around (and the romsets to match it). I think it's around about 0.96 (so well out of date). Also, the mame.exe is actually a mame32.exe file. Does this make a difference?

I believe I've set everything correctly, however, once the database has been built, whenever I select a rom to play, I get an error message advising "Either you don't have this romset or your game database is outdated, would you like to rebuild the database?"

Having selected 'YES', the database is then rebuilt, and completes successfully. However, selecting the same rom again returns the same error message.

Should I bite the bullet and download the latest version of MAME or is there some setting that I need to tweak?

Thanks.
Having the exact same issue on a 64 bit MAME thru XBMC. Did you figure it out?
Sourbob: sounds like you haven't set the mame roms directory in the frontend.

Also you might want to go into the options/add on settings and click the radio buttons 'only show correct romsets etc.'
Thought I set it. Maybe I set it wrong. I'll try looking into that and changing that option when I get home. Thanks, DV.
Tweaking those settings did the trick! Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MAME Frontend Addon0