How to delete file (movie/tv show) but "maintain" box cover/watched status/etc ??
Hello all,

I have been unable to find a way to DELETE a movie or tv show file (the film/show file itself), while maintaining:
  • watched status
  • artwork/box cover
  • etc,

in Library Mode for XBMC 9.11 R26017 . (waiting for Dharma release)

I like them kept in the library so that we can easily "see" what I have already downloaded... keeping me from downloading it again! (for a high WAF) Some movies/shows are just too horrible to keep the file, even with storage room to spare! Oo

TIA for any and all help!

Cheers!

CaptainCanuck

edit: added XBMC version
Is this possible in v9.11??

Dharma?
Just delete them off the disk using the filemanager and ensure you don't clean the library.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Another idea, delete the movie file and create a blank text file. Rename the text file the same as the movie was named. In case clean library is used, you don't lose your information as XBMC will assume the file is still there.

If you use Ember Media Manager, it has a off-line movie tool. It will create a tiny avi video file with whatever custom message/background you want, so you can have it scroll "This movie sucked" (while keeping your metadata) if someone decides to play the movie.

Granted this requires "outside XBMC" work, but it's pretty simple to do. So, there's some ideas for you.

Regards
jmarshall Wrote:Just delete them off the disk using the filemanager and ensure you don't clean the library.
Hi jmarshall!
Is there any way to do this within XBMC while still using the 'clean library' function though??
I am religious in my use of it... Smile
Thanks for the response!
Cheers!
CaptainCanuck
Rygrath Wrote:Another idea, delete the movie file and create a blank text file. Rename the text file the same as the movie was named. In case clean library is used, you don't lose your information as XBMC will assume the file is still there.

If you use Ember Media Manager, it has a off-line movie tool. It will create a tiny avi video file with whatever custom message/background you want, so you can have it scroll "This movie sucked" (while keeping your metadata) if someone decides to play the movie.

Granted this requires "outside XBMC" work, but it's pretty simple to do. So, there's some ideas for you.

Regards
Hi Rygrath,
Thanks very much!!
Re: Text File Option -- When you said "Rename the text file the same as the movie was named.", did you also mean change the txt file extension to the same file extension as the movie I want to delete? (i.e. for Movie.mkv I create a text file called Movie.txt, change it to Movie.mkv and insert in folder after deleting actual movie file?)
I've been looking at EMM for awhile, but have been able to do everything I wanted within XBMC... this "off-line movie" feature might just be the push for me to use it!
Thanks for the response!
Cheers!
CaptainCanuck
Yep, what I meant in regards to the text file. (movie.mkv, movie.avi, movie.mpg, etc) When you try to play the movie, it'll just flash to a black screen for a second or less.

Why I like the off-line feature of Ember. It saves from the inevitable "I think something is wrong with this movie, it just flashes when I try to play it" when the wife or friends try it Smile At least with a small video you can write in some funny messages of how bad the movie was.

Edit: If you do go the Ember route. The off-line tool is a module. Go to settings, Download Addons (under General tab), Modules, then install "Ember Off-Line Media Manager". After that you'll find the tool under the "Tools" menu.
Hi Rygrath,

Thanks for clearing that up!! Works like a charm!!!

Re: EMM -- "It saves from the inevitable "I think something is wrong with this movie, it just flashes when I try to play it" when the wife or friends try it."
SOLD! Any way I can lessen my "Honey why doesn't this work?" load is great! Cool

Thanks for the How-To on finding the add-on as well!

Happy Holidays!! Cheers!

CaptainCanuck
Glad I could help Smile
Another THANK YOU to RYGRATH!!
I've gleaned some more info from Rygrath and fiddling with software/ideas he recommended; Smile Thought I would share them with a quick summary:

Use an NFO file to replace movie-file in order to save space and retain boxcover/etc in your Library
For those desperate to retain as much storage as possible, you can delete movie-files and still retain your boxcover/etc in the library.
--All you have to do is create a blank NFO file with the exact same name as the movie file (including changing the file extension to .avi/mkv/mpg/etc) and drop it into the directory where your movie file ”to-be-replaced" is located and you are good to go! The only 'downside' to this is that if someone clicks on the movie that you have done this to, nothing 'appears' to happen...
The two solutions below are far more elegant, but the 'placeholder movie' file does take up space!

Ember Off-Line Media Manager Module
Apparently it doesn't seem like Ember has the ability to 'create a movie record that already exists', so in order to get the 'placeholder movie' into my existing library I had to:
--delete the original record outside of Ember,
--re-scrape the movie,
--create your 'placeholder movie' with your chosen message!
-----HOW TO: In order to create a 'custom background you must choose a 'fanart' when the movie is scraped to bring up the dialog box. Then when you get to the 'Options' screen you need to check:
"Place Holder Video Tagline" <- The message you want to scroll across the screen when the 'Play' is clicked in the library.

"Place Holder Video Format" <- Standard Definition or HD resolution (SD or HD = filesize)
"Use Ember Overlay" <- Uncheck this if you want the Ember logo removed

"Use Tagline background" <- Checked (Makes the scrolling message easier to read)

"Use Fanart for Place Holder" <- Tells Ember it to use the fanart background.

"Choose your font and background color" <- Click create!
You now have a new folder in your movie library that you setup in "sources"; It contains the .nfo file, poster, etc and your new placeholder video. "Update" your library in XBMC and the new placeholder movie will be picked up and added to your library

Windows Movie Maker - Create a Custom 'Movie'
For something more "custom", Windows Movie Maker (WMM) or something similar will allow you to make a fully customised solution (music, graphics, movie clip, etc). WMM is free.
After creating the custom placeholder movie you copy the file into the same directory as the movie file you want it to replace, name the 'placeholder movie' to the same filename you are replacing (i.e. The Hangover.avi/mpg/mkv/etc)" and Voila! XBMC does not know the difference between the files and will just play the 'placeholder movie' when you click on the movie/show.

I and my family/friends have found WMM to offer some really fun options... you get to pick your own soundtrack, image, clip, etc so that those movies that really really annoy you that you want to delete can be replaced by a 'movie'/clip that was much more fun to watch! :0

Cheers!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to delete file (movie/tv show) but "maintain" box cover/watched status/etc ??0