HP Proliant MicroServer
Giggsy Wrote:Hi guys,

I got a HP microserver for this specific use.

I'm using Windows Home Server 2011

- 8GB Ram (was initialy using it as a mini esx server)

- 4 1xTB Samsung F3's

- Asus HD EAH5550 (Fan Cooled capable of outputting sound via HDMI)

- VCR1100 IR Remote

-55" Sony Bravia

I've been using this as a NAS and a Media Centre server.

Playback is pretty good (i think it drop about 4 frams over a one hour period)but there is an ever so slight stutter which is annoying me, would i benefit from using a SSD for the OS? do you guys think that this would improve performance or is this simply down to the graphics card? Or is it because im using whs 2011 instead of something like ubuntuHuh

Any help is great appreciated!

I tried using windows before and found the performance was not that good, as soon as swapped to ubuntu had no issues at all
MikeBuzz Wrote:I tried using windows before and found the performance was not that good, as soon as swapped to ubuntu had no issues at all

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply!

I'm really tempted to try it but i guess it means scrapping my current setup.

All my drives are formatted using NTFS and they're pretty much full :S

How difficult is it to get the ubuntu version up and running? it sounds like the hardest thing is getting the graphics card to work with sound!
Giggsy Wrote:Hi Mike, thanks for the reply!

I'm really tempted to try it but i guess it means scrapping my current setup.

All my drives are formatted using NTFS and they're pretty much full :S

How difficult is it to get the ubuntu version up and running? it sounds like the hardest thing is getting the graphics card to work with sound!

i followed the following guide

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu

the GT220 card just needed to be set as custom plughw:0,7

this is all i did once i had a mininal ubuntu install

sudo aptitude install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install xbmc nvidia-current upower udisks xinit linux-sound-base alsa-utils unrar vdpau-video
sudo nvidia-xconfig -s --no-logo --force-generate --output-xconfig=/etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo adduser xbmc --gecos XBMC
sudo usermod --group audio,video,fuse,cdrom,plugdev xbmc
sudo aptitude install xbmc-live
sudo alsamixer

unmute all channels

sudo alsactl store 0

set sound custom
plughw:0,7
You could test it first using the XBMC live version
That's not a bad idea!

Looks like i'm going to spend the weekend messing around with my server again, the Mrs isn't going to be to happy lol! Eek
MikeBuzz Wrote:I have 4x2tb installed in the microserver, so its a all in 1 solution

Hey Mike,

So this HP Micro server is being run as a nas + htpc? Could you tell me more about how u have everything setup? Im trying to do the same. I've heard that it isnt the best option for power consumption but im not too concern with that.

So did u install something like freenas on a usb stick to use it as a NAS, and have XBMC installed on top of that?
Question 
Hi Guys,
I've ordered a proliant and am looking to get a graphics card for it to mainly run HD videos.
Going on poofyhairguy's recommendations i'll sacrifice some decibels and order a fan-cooled card.

Want to keep the power draw low and stick around the £30 mark, so i'm looking at either gt210 or 5450.
Reading some reviews online the 5450 seems to be more powerful and even draw slightly less power. I get that they'd both decode 1080p no prob, but in the event of me firing up a game i'd want the best results from the card so am leaning towards the 5450. However, I've read that there are some compatibility issues with the 5450 (?), can anyone shed some more light on this? I'm looking to run WHS2011 with xbmc on top.

Have found some options:
EVGA 210
KFA 210
XFX 5450
Asus 5450

Any advice would be appreciated, especially reasons for gt210 instead of 5450.

Thanks in advance!
Over the weekend I helped set up a mates Proliant as i bought one for myself at the end of last month, i dont need HDMI or a tad more power to push 1080p out cleanly (720p tv so no advantage, and 1080p comes out at 20-24fps avg anyway) but he needed a gfx card for 1080p & HDMI and he bought this:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/512mb-kfa...dvi-i-hdmi

Fan cooled, low-profile bracket incl (make sure its incl, some are compatable but you'll have to source the bracket yourself, at around £8-10!), HDMI and nicely priced at £24 inc VAT.
If you want the cheapest solution, the KFA will do the job just fine, ive never heard of them before, but for a few quid extra the EVGA buys you a better branded version.

The 210 seems to be the most popular recommendation though, its usually the cheapest solution, and i believe theres better compatability with nVidia for Linux operating systems, while the ATi gear might need a little faffing about. If you sticking to windows, it shouldnt be an issue i dont think. I currently prefer ATi for GPUs, but the 210 seems just fine. It was also pretty much silent, i had mine sat next to it and i cant say it sounded any louder for having the 210 in there.

hopefully WHS 2011 wont be far away, im running out of days on WHS and ive no idea what it'll do in 8 days, i was hoping to run 2011 on a 30 day trial too and then go with one or the other once i'd tried them properly.
Thanks for the response PaulC2K.
My microserver arrived today, so will be putting it into action this weekend (didn't think it would come this quickly so don't have anything for it).

Will be putting WHS2011 on it so will probably go for the 5450 since its faster. Although now i'm thinking some games might not work on whs 2011? Can't really find much about this.

Also getting 4gb of ram to beef it up. Planning on getting ddr3-1333, this seems to be the one that crucial recommends for it (though will go for the non-ecc version). Is there a reason most recommend 1066 ram?

EDIT: re bracket: do i really need one if it doesn't come with it?
If you dont have a bracket, then you wont be able to fix it down. I wouldnt say its essential, but its advised. You can get them on ebay for £6 i think, XFX sell a set of 4 types, and 3 of them are pretty much worthless.

Ive no idea about games, unless you want the built-in backup capability i'd go with Win7, but to be honest unless your talking about smaller 'lite' games, im not sure you'll be too happy with the results of anything from the last year or 2 really. I'd go with a 6450 for about £40 to help if gaming is of interest. However the ones ive seen are bracket compatable, but not included (why, make a card which can be downscaled, and not include the damn thing? must cos about 5p to make em!).

The RAM is DDR3-10600/10666, which is 1333mhz. Is it possible that what you've seen? They're very easy to get mixed up.
I dunno the difference between 10600 and 10666, the ECC stuff all seems to be 10600, but ive seen some non-ECC as 10600, while the majority is 10666. Its all 1333mhz though.
In terms of games i would only be firing up some games which are at least 2 years old, (Just to relive some classics if i ever get the time/energy) and i'm not expecting it to be running far cry 2. Strange about the bracket inclusion, i definately wouldn't order a £10 bracket for a £25 card!
Thanks for the info on bracket/ram, i had suspected as much.

I've got an msdn account, so wanted to try out whs2011 since i've got access to it. At the end of the day, i'm assuming it wouldn't make much difference compared to win7, but half the fun is setting these things up, right?

First thing i need is a mouse and keyboard though! lol
I am now on my third setup with my microserver, initially Ubuntu 10.10 with xbmc after some major headaches I got it working I was a complete noob with linux. After a couple of months Ubuntu died.

So next up xbmclive, actually I had two versions of this running on two sticks, when the first stick died I had a backup.

I still wasnt happy though, afterall the microserver is more than just a htpc so I decided to go with windows home server 2011, much happier with it that linux I have to say (it was cheap).

But I am now getting a bit of stuttering / glitchyness at random points in films and tv programs (720p). I am putting it down to the fact that all my files are on a 2tb external drive (temporarily).
I just installed a GT210 in my machine as it has a HDMI and it allows me to connect the HP Microserver to my TV. I haven't installed an OS yet and I can't because the machine keeps rebooting. Did anyone here experience this issue?
For the HP Microsever I would suggest:

EVGA GeForce 210 (fanless) card for video and audio over HDMI.

Plus if you get sick of audio over HDMI, add an Asus Xonar DGX sound card and compile the latest version of ALSA to get audio out over optical.

WorksForMe™.
Just to add my 2p,

I found my server (n54l) extremely quiet even with a gt610 whirring away. I have a zotac synergy gt610 1gb. great little card for under £30

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP Proliant MicroServer0