HP Proliant MicroServer
PSU does not have a fan, everything is passive.

My 210 arrived today, sent me out the wrong one, I ordered one with a fan and the one thats arrived is passive. Ive fitted it for now to do a bit of testing, temperatures are fine at the moment.

Major problem though I cannot get sound in Ubuntu 10.10, been doing a little searching on google tried a few things no look as yet.

Good job I decided to stick it in.
Sound fixed after much tweaking, still it was a good learning curve.

Next issue is getting the resolution right on my tv and either sending my gfx card back or buying a fan.
Resolution is turning out to be an issue with my aged Pioneer 436XDE, ahh well it was about time I got a new tv.

Quite hard to describe what it looks like, I would say its an overscan/sync issue which is at its worst on horizontally scrolling images.
Really struggling with the getting rid of the tearing.

Any Suggestions?

I will be definitely looking at a new telly now as mine wont do 1:1 via HDMI that and the native resolution is 1024 x 768!
What resolution are you running the tv at?

Back when I had a 1024x768 Plasma I had to use a custom xorg.conf to get the res to work right.

dabs.com sent me the wrong one too. sent the passive with no fan... got to send it back.

BEKO86 Wrote:PSU does not have a fan, everything is passive.

My 210 arrived today, sent me out the wrong one, I ordered one with a fan and the one thats arrived is passive. Ive fitted it for now to do a bit of testing, temperatures are fine at the moment.

Major problem though I cannot get sound in Ubuntu 10.10, been doing a little searching on google tried a few things no look as yet.

Good job I decided to stick it in.
Got it working, really learned quite a lot about linux over the last few weeks.

Problem now is that i dont fancy doing it all over again on a new card. after market fan?

Also been thinking a lot about a netbook for general use plus xbmc over hdmi, any recommendations ? Good balance on cost v performance.
I'm thinking of buying this as a NAS box, how loud is it?
Mavers Wrote:I'm thinking of buying this as a NAS box, how loud is it?

It's quieter than a hard drive.
I've installed an ASUS G210 fan cooled card http://www.ebuyer.com/product/176604 in my HP microserver and I'm finding it a bit noisy. The server is the other side of the room about 12ft away.

The server on its own (before install of gfx card) was fine, very quiet.

How are those with passive cards finding the temps?

And those with fan-cooled - are you finding them noisy? Is it possible to throttle the card/fan back at all?
I have one of these boxes running Ubuntu 10.10 with the 160Gb drive in the top drive bay.

But is the G210 the best option to put in this box for 1080p playback etc?

Cheers

Kimbie
Yeah, a GT210 can play full 1080p. Like everything not 3D.

poofyhairguy Wrote:Yeah, a GT210 can play full 1080p. Like everything not 3D.

Thanks for that, I have one on order.

Also I was impressed how well it coped with upto 720p with Ubuntu and XBMX, there were some stuttering on 1080p but does show the box is capable of it

Kimbie
Kimbie Wrote:Thanks for that, I have one on order.

Fan-cooled or passive?

Kimbie Wrote:Also I was impressed how well it coped with upto 720p with Ubuntu and XBMX, there were some stuttering on 1080p but does show the box is capable of it

Kimbie

Using the onboard graphics?

I'm finding the fan noise from my G210 intrusive so as I don't have any 1080p at the moment I thinking of reverting to the onboard graphics.

Need to sort the sound out though. I have a USB sound box but xbmc live wouldn't boot with it, so need to do some investigation.
spanglemaker Wrote:Fan-cooled or passive?

Using the onboard graphics?

I'm finding the fan noise from my G210 intrusive so as I don't have any 1080p at the moment I thinking of reverting to the onboard graphics.

Need to sort the sound out though. I have a USB sound box but xbmc live wouldn't boot with it, so need to do some investigation.

Fan-cooled. I have not got the ASUS one as that is the one peolpe have been saying is noisy.

Yes it was using on-board VGA hooked up to my Dell 2001FP running at 1600x1200.

If someone can tell me how to log CPU usage on Linux while running a full screen program I can post some stats

Kimbie

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP Proliant MicroServer0