backup xbmc and upgrade
Hello everyone. I want to update from camelot to dharma and wanted to check the below steps are ok to do. Im on lucid btw.

First off backup the .xbmc directory on a thumbdrive or harddrive.

then I want to install remove camelot and install dharma.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc-svn/ppa
Code:
sudo apt-get clean
Code:
sudo apt-get update
Quote:sudo apt-get install xbmc
Code:
sudo reboot

Then I just put the .xbmc directory back and my preferences should all be there again (i.e. profiles, audio setup etc..)

See this LINK for more infomration on how to install and nvidia drivers etc..

Thanks

Big Grin
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
update was successful. yeah!
rflores2323 Wrote:update was successful. yeah!

With exactly those steps?

Which version did this get you to (are you going to update your signature??)?

Thanks for this. I can't decide if I'm ready to move or if I should wait until the RC's are done.
rcrh Wrote:With exactly those steps?

Which version did this get you to (are you going to update your signature??)?

Thanks for this. I can't decide if I'm ready to move or if I should wait until the RC's are done.

I updated the steps and provided a link to a tutorial that I followed. It only upgraded me to RC2 for some reason. I thought we were on RC4 now?

Anyone know why the ppa didnt update me to rc4?
Cool. I see the link now.

I have in the back of my head that there were some issues between the Camelot RC's and the final release that made it difficult to upgrade.

I may sit tight until the final release is out.

Then again, I may jump it. I'm keen to see the new changes.

Thanks,
Richard.
I just checked the main website. RC2 is the current release so you're as current as you can be!
rcrh Wrote:Cool. I see the link now.

I have in the back of my head that there were some issues between the Camelot RC's and the final release that made it difficult to upgrade.

I may sit tight until the final release is out.

Then again, I may jump it. I'm keen to see the new changes.

Thanks,
Richard.

I was in the same boat. I was going to wait until the final release also however the only thing holding me back with the Home theater script (cinema script) and it has now been updated for dharma so I upgraded yesterday. Went great. HDMI audio is working, HD playback is still great and all my settings stayed. So went great so far.

The add on system is pretty cool.
Got stuck at the add-apt-repository instruction, so I followed the link you provided, I got the 'command not found' response to add-apt-repository, so I did:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties

it reported that python-software-properties was already up to date and set to manual install. A reboot didn't seem to make any difference. Do I need to manually install this? if so how?

FYI - I'm running Jaunty, as I haven't touched my setup since I installed about this time last year... That also means that I'm currently running 9.04.something

TIA!!
FreeMan
OK, just took a look at the Ubuntu docs, and it looks like adding a PPA to the repository list doesn't happen until 9.10 (Karmic), and I'm on 9.04 (Jaunty). Am I correct in my understanding? If so, then I think I'm going to have to download a new ISO, load it up on my flash drive and reinstall. If that's the case, I'll just hold out another week or so until dharma is officially live, get the new live CD and reinstall.

Can someone who's more familiar with Ubuntu confirm or deny my assumptions? I'd be happy to know that I'm wrong and that I've missed something simple.

Thanks,
FreeMan
FreeMan xbmc Wrote:OK, just took a look at the Ubuntu docs, and it looks like adding a PPA to the repository list doesn't happen until 9.10 (Karmic), and I'm on 9.04 (Jaunty). Am I correct in my understanding? If so, then I think I'm going to have to download a new ISO, load it up on my flash drive and reinstall. If that's the case, I'll just hold out another week or so until dharma is officially live, get the new live CD and reinstall.

Can someone who's more familiar with Ubuntu confirm or deny my assumptions? I'd be happy to know that I'm wrong and that I've missed something simple.

Thanks,
FreeMan

Take a look HERE as there are instructions on how to add the PPA on jaunty. Why dont you upgrade to lucid? its the latest LTS out and is way better than jaunty. just a suggestion. I also used clonezilla to clone my drive just in case something went wrong I could always just put my clone back on as a backup. Clonezilla was easy to use and now I can tinker with my system knowing that I have a full backup.
rflores2323 Wrote:Take a look HERE as there are instructions on how to add the PPA on jaunty. Why dont you upgrade to lucid? its the latest LTS out and is way better than jaunty. just a suggestion. I also used clonezilla to clone my drive just in case something went wrong I could always just put my clone back on as a backup. Clonezilla was easy to use and now I can tinker with my system knowing that I have a full backup.

Thanks rflores, reading the *whole* page helped a lot... Blush

I'm running into the same error about needing hardware accelerated OpenGL, though, and his solution isn't working for me. His steps:
Code:
sudo apt-get remove xbmc-live
runs fine - removes xbmc-live
Code:
sudo nvidia-installer --update -a -s -f
fails saying X server is running & I must exit

in the linked thread, it indicates that removing xbmc-live and using the -a -s -f options should be belt & suspenders for shutting down the X server, but that doesn't seem to be helping.

A quick google for stoping the X server got me this:
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
which tells me that it's an unknown command
I also found this:
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
which didn't work either.

Of course, I didn't do a clonezilla backup, as you recommended, because, hey, what could go wrong?!?!? Shocked

Now, it seems I'm left with trying to figure out how to shut down the X server so I can update the Nvidia drivers, or reinstall the whole thing with the latest dharma RC. All before the wife & kids get home & want to watch TV!

further suggestions?
AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

It hit me that the
Code:
was mentioned as a way of preventing it from auto-launching, so I ran that, then rebooted. I come up to a terminal, log in and try
Code:
which then tells me that
Code:
ERROR: Unable to find the development tool `make` in your path; please make
       sure that you have the package 'make' installed.  If make is installed
       on your system, then please check that `make` is in your PATH.

Back to Google.
Code:
sudo apt-get install make
fixes the lack of make issue, but then the nvidia-installer reports back:
Code:
ERROR: Unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running kernel.
       Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your
       kernel and that they are properly configured; on Red Hat Linux systems,
       for example, be sure you have the 'kernel-source' or 'kernel-devel' RPM
       installed.  If you know the correct kernel source files are installed,
       you may specify the kernel source path with the '--kernel-source-path'
       command line option.

Some more googling gets me to Ubuntu's site where there are dire warnings about re-compiling the kernel, especially if it's just for a driver install/update.

A look at Nvidia's site indicates that they released a new driver for Linux on 13 Dec - version 260.19.29. The nvidia-installer command is pulling 260.19.21. Imma gonna try to download the driver direct from Nvidia and see if I can run it directly, even though they warn that it's better to do it via the OS's update method.

Someone yell at me if you think I'm getting too close to the edge of the cliff...
sigh... Same error about not finding the kernel path when directly running 260.19.29.

Anyone have other thoughts?
reinstall OS (lucid or maverick) and get the latest xbmc. it is probably going to be easier than trying to fix your current install.
Thanks, rflores, your comments (mostly pointing me back to where I got the info I needed) were very helpful. I will probably be upgrading soon...

I did finally figure it all out by carefully reading through all the comments on the link you provided. Here are the steps I ended up with:
Code:
sudo reboot
sudu apt-get make
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc-live
sudo reboot

I'm still running Jaunty, but I'm on XBMC 10.0 rc2-r35567.

It's dog slow now. Like, hit a button, wait a few moments for something to happen. Like, the mouse is unusable because of the delay... I'm on an acer revo 1600 with the stock 1GB of RAM, and it was cruising along just fine before... Sad

If I download the latest live CD & install, will that update me to Lucid, too? If not and/or instead, should I attempt to update Jaunty to Lucid myself?

FreeMan

EDIT: After some more digging, the latest LiveCD is still Camelot, so I'm ahead of that. Unless my machine remains unbearably slow, I'll sit here until the dharma release is live and on a LiveCD, hopefully with a version of Lucid underneath it. I took a look at updating Ubuntu itself, and I see directions on going from 9.04 to 9.10 and 9.10 to 10.0, but no straight 9.04 to 10.0. I'd rather not have to go through two steps, after the frustration of this...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
backup xbmc and upgrade0