• 88(current)
[RELEASE] XBMC Flicks - Netflix Movies / TV Shows (Video) experimental Addon for XBMC
You can't just zip it up and give it out because the keys involved are linked to my personal account.
Just curious... is this addon even supported anymore (by the original maker)?
fekker originated the add-on and retired sometime last year. PatDavid provided an install-able update last fall that I am still using and it works fine. yabsie and others have done some research and have made some suggestions and provided code snips for people still having problems. What this tells me is that Netflix is making changes to the API but only notifying "official" developers, whatever that means, or not at all plus their (Netflix) documentation is weak. So this makes for a difficult task unless you've been mucking around with it for years - which nobody does unless they are fanatical or getting paid.

BTW I love this add-on and along with the hulu add-on really makes messing around with xbmc worth while. If I start to have as much trouble with either of them that people on this thread have seen I will break down and buy a roku. I am running the released version eden on 2 windows 7 boxes. One is a dedicated htpc and the other is my desktop. I share a data drive between the two for local videos and music.
@astromonkey I followed your instructions and everything went swimmingly until I got to the final step, I believe it's a button that says "Make a Call". Then it is supposed to spit something out, but what I get is an "Account Inactive" error, even though I'm using my own API account info that I just created. Just wondering if you or anyone else ran into this or have suggestions.
Same boat here - got top 25 etc. but no Instant Queue. I was able to get to this point by doing the one-set-of-keys-used-twice trick, actually, but used AstroMonkey's method to see if I could get any further.

I think we are missing something here in AstroMonkey's instructions. There clearly needs to be some sort of handshake with your personal Netflix account in order for your instant queue to work. Otherwise if all you do is insert your developer key and developer shared secret and generate the rest off the walkthrough, how would it know who you are?

What I have been trying is putting my developer Key and Shared Secret into the uqueue.py as in AstroMonkey's method. Then I clear my log and delete my userinfo file and go into xbmc. Try open my Top 25 and it will take me to a browser where I click ok. All normal till this point.

Now I go into my log and find the key and secret that were just generated and put them into my userinfo as accessKey and accessSecret. Then I go back into xbmc, click ok... and it still fails Sad

I think I might be onto something here, but there are so many keys and secrets involved its hard to tell which should go where.

Somehow we need a way to manually send the request to Netflix in a browser so that you can log in and authenticate, but then capture the returned information to put into the userinfo file.

Well that's my theory anyway...

Quote:P.S
Running Frodo RC3 on Windows 7 64b

OK... I'd like to set this up on Frodo RC3, as well... I've read back a bit in this long discussion. After looking at github, where is the best place to get the build of the plugin? I can't seem to find the same build numbers being quoted here. This may be some work but I'd really love to see this working...

Please advise.
(2012-12-24, 17:15)yabsie Wrote:
(2012-12-21, 09:27)kebone Wrote:
(2012-12-21, 03:45)patseguin Wrote: Is there currently a Frodo version of the Netflix addon?

negative

(2012-12-24, 16:40)ktjensen Wrote: Is the plugin working well on a RASPBERRY PI Linux box yet?

From what I understand, unless some one figures out how to get MS silverlight working on that version of linux there is no hope of getting netflix to every play on it.

So you will be list, search, add things to yoru queue etc, but not play any movies. Which is somewhat less fun. somone hinted at that there may be a way a page or two ago, but then they went silent.
since netflix now supports chrome-os (linux kernel) there is a standalone client that can play netflix streams in linux (however it doesnt run in the web browser). and i think it is only x86 (raspberry-pi runs on arm cpu).
Followed the instructions for using the developer api... not working for me. Considering that Netflix is the most popular streaming service in the world and they are signing exclusive deals with major studios, getting Netflix working out of the box should be a priority for xbmc developers.
The API stuff worked for me finally so it doesn't try to link netflix anymore but everything is empty. I don't see any errors either and I set debugging to true. I'm using the 0.3 version

19:10:28 T:4489486336 NOTICE: *** What's in the Instant Queue? ***
19:10:28 T:4489486336 NOTICE: params: {'max_results': '75'}
19:10:29 T:4489486336 NOTICE: Max value: 75
19:10:29 T:4489486336 NOTICE: In CA: False
19:10:30 T:4559609856 NOTICE: Thread Background Loader start, auto delete: false
Some interesting reading from Netflix API

Quote:This is the process of making a protected request:

1. You send a signed request to the Netflix API that tells the API that you are about to send over a Netflix subscriber who wants to give your application permission to access his account.
2. The Netflix API verifies the signature on your request and sends your application a request token and a token secret.
3. Your application then creates a special one-time-only link for your subscriber to click, that includes the request token, your consumer key, your application's name, and where you want us to send your subscriber once he's signed in.
4. If the subscriber clicks this link, Netflix will show him a secure login page on its domain (this way, he only has to give his password to Netflix, never to a third-party. The login page will warns the subscriber that he is about to grant your application access to his Netflix account, lists some of the bad things that might happen if your application is hostile or broken, and gives instructions for how the subscriber can revoke this access. If the subscriber signs in and you've told us where to send him, we will send him to the callback page you specified in step 3. (If you haven't given us a callback, the subscriber will need to find his way back to your page himself.)
5. When the subscriber lands on your callback page, you'll make one last request, using your consumer key and consumer secret, and the request token and token secret you received in step 2.
6. If everything checks out, the Netflix API will send you an authorization token, an authorization token secret, and a user id. These, along with your existing consumer key and shared secret, are your keys to your subscriber's account. They will remain valid until such time as the subscriber revokes your access, so if you store these keys securely you won't have to go through this process again the next time the subscriber accesses your application.
For the majority of us struggling with having access to the general menu structure but not the queues, we are probably falling off the rails at about point 5. Because the information from step 4 is not being stored, it is not accessible to make the request in 5 then the tokens and user id are not received in step 6.

Interestingly, earlier in the article it describes how a request not relating to a particular user can be made with only a key and a secret. This explains why people copying keys and secrets directly into the userinfo file have had some success at getting the menus working, but not the queues.
and still this does work with PLAYON to get access to NETFLIX and serve up movies. just not direct with the plugin discussed in this topic

PLAYON emulates a web page in a browser. then restreams the browser connection. its difficult but functional.
How embarrassing! Blush

Got it working using the AstroMonkey method on page 130 - a case of just not following instructions properly. In case anyone is as confused as I was the Walk-through has 6 steps, at the end of which you will have your original consumer key and consumer secret from step 1, plus two new tokens. This method circumvents using xmbc for the entire registration process, so it DEFINITELY WORKS! All you have to do is change your userinfo and iqueue files manually.
(2013-01-22, 16:44)ktjensen Wrote: and still this does work with PLAYON to get access to NETFLIX and serve up movies. just not direct with the plugin discussed in this topic

PLAYON emulates a web page in a browser. then restreams the browser connection. its difficult but functional.
I wanted to use Playon - it seems like a much more elegant solution. But it downgrades every video to SD, which is just ridiculous in this day and age. I looked at their forum and they have been making excuses for not having HD since 2009
(2013-01-22, 22:21)Revengeance Wrote: I wanted to use Playon - it seems like a much more elegant solution. But it downgrades every video to SD, which is just ridiculous in this day and age. I looked at their forum and they have been making excuses for not having HD since 2009
And, you have to pay for it.
Would it not make sense for the current developer to register a new official app with the API and add it to code so new downloaders do not have to go through this process?
How much of the OAuth token do I copy into the the OAuth Secret field? Do I just copy the entire thing?
  • 88(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] XBMC Flicks - Netflix Movies / TV Shows (Video) experimental Addon for XBMC16