Which Zotac to buy?
I recently bought the Shuttle XS35GT and really don't care for it looks. I also noticed that there are some issues with setup on them as well. I been looking at the Zotac mini PCs and was wondering which of these models would work best with XBMC live. On their website, I noticed that they are coming out with one that resembles the blu-ray version but has a DVD drive.

I would like for my setup to basically stream movie/videos from my 2 D-Link 321 NASes as well as Internet sites and plugins/scripts(Hulu, GrooveShark Pandora and the likes). I'm not really concerned with a built-in drive as I can import my media through my laptop. Do you guys have any suggestions? Am I better off keeping my shuttle instead?
I like my ID-11 and setting it up was super simple via Win7 64bit ultimate and XBMC. I put 2gb of ram in it and it plays 1080p makemkv bluray backups flawlessly!
Yeah, considering all the stuff you want to do BESIDES XBMC (especially anything with actual Blu Ray discs and Hulu) means you want to run Windows 7 instead of XBMC Live. Doesn't matter what you run it on- the Shuttle or the Zotac- both are fine. It is just that GPU acceleration for Hulu is spotty on Linux and the Atoms don't have the umph to do the job themselves...

No reason the Shuttle shouldn't work for what you want. What issues are you having with it?
Poofy-
I've been using Bluecop's repo (which contains the Hulu plugin) with no problem on my AppleTV. Do you think I'll have the luck with the XBMC Live/Ion setup?

Prae5-
I just been reading the Shuttle post and looking at the issues people are having with their systems. I also don't like the fact that I can't lay it on the side for a more HTPC look. I really would like to use the XBMC live version (it's just that awesome!!!). Using Windows 7 would make it feel more like a PC and not a Media Center.I like how XBMC works on my AppleTV but understand how underpowered the AppleTV is. I'm looking to make it my dedicated XBMC box and eliminate my AppleTV all together.
cooljoe Wrote:Poofy-
Prae5-
I just been reading the Shuttle post and looking at the issues people are having with their systems.
What kind of issues, I haven't had any issues with mine.

Quote: I also don't like the fact that I can't lay it on the side for a more HTPC look.
I have mine on its side, and have had it this way since i got it. I spoke to Shuttle about this and they said whilst not recommended, providing there is reasonable airflow around it then it will be fine. I did some temp testing on it too, and there was very little difference in temps between having it on its side and in the vertical position.

Quote:I really would like to use the XBMC live version (it's just that awesome!!!). Using Windows 7 would make it feel more like a PC and not a Media Center.I like how XBMC works on my AppleTV but understand how underpowered the AppleTV is. I'm looking to make it my dedicated XBMC box and eliminate my AppleTV all together.
Try out the ion openelec.tv image, it will give you the perfect appliance - better than live and with less setup needed.
Can I create an DVD ISO image with OpenElec? I tried using a USB stick but kept getting the "partitioner stuck at 43%" error. I had to use an external DVD drive to install XBMC live. I saw someone with the same issue and he was using the same SSD drive (Intel 40GB) I'm using.

I want to thank everyone who replied to my post as well. You all have been very helpful!!!
cooljoe Wrote:Poofy-
I've been using Bluecop's repo (which contains the Hulu plugin) with no problem on my AppleTV. Do you think I'll have the luck with the XBMC Live/Ion setup?

What works on a Broadcom AppleTV always works on a ION system. More of everything.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Zotac to buy?0