• 34(current)
WebServer HTTP API (HttpApi): for PocketPC and Web-client Remote Control Apps
Hi all,

does anyone know how I can use the HTTP-API to get iD3 information from the currently playing track? The reason I ask is that I am working on a BPM type search (where you can set a beat you prefer, and a search can be done on that bpm). All my MP3's have been tagged with their bpm, but I cannot see the column in any of the SQL-Lite tables.

Any help would be appreciated,

thanks

Kev Moore
The info doesn't magically get added to the db. You have to code up:

1. Extraction from the tags.

2. Addition to the structures to hold those tags.

3. Additional columns to the db.

4. Extraction of said columns out of the db.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Hi, and thanks for that.

Im aware that magic and coding can never form a relationship, and that coding would ultimately be the solution. Im just a big believer in not re-inventing the wheel, and wondered if the HTTP-API had already catered for ID3 information. If there is no function to do this already, I will gladly knock one up.

thanks

Kev
It caters for all the information that the rest of XBMC has about tags. As XBMC has no knowledge of "bpm" tags, it's not available anywhere.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Looks like i need to get busy Smile.

Thinking about it, I mayextend the existing GetTagFromFilename() function to return the bpm and most of the other ID3v2 frames (including BPM). If anyone else wants any more tag info returned ,let me know...

http://www.id3.org/Frames

cheers

Kev
Good luck - there's another guy (EvilDude) working on lyrics extraction that is looking to do similar things (modifying tag readers and so on) so you may wish to consult with him as well - see this thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=19157

Cheers,
Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan,

ive just dipped in briefly into the xbmc source. There is a nice library there which does the id3 extraction for artist, song etc. I think there might already be a frame extract method in there which I can extend. Ive not done c++ for a while (having to download VS2005 from MSDN atm). Tried opening the vcproj in VS2008 and NO NO NO NO Smile it just wont have it Wink

If i succeed, I will post it up here for all to enjoy.

Thanks

Kev
There's some work been done on the 2k8 solution file by Donno and some others. He'll be around on IRC (#xbmc) if you want to steal it.

2k5 will also not build it, but that might not be quite so bad Wink

libid3tag should be easily extendable for what you want (essentially you just add a wrapper to the dll, and call it from the appropriate place in CID3Tag).

Hi Jonathan,

Which IDE do you recommend I Use?

cheers

Kev
Visual Studio .NET 2003 is the one that most XBMC developers uses becuase it is the latest that the newest XDK supports Wink

jmarshall Wrote:Good luck - there's another guy (EvilDude) working on lyrics extraction that is looking to do similar things (modifying tag readers and so on) so you may wish to consult with him as well - see this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=19157
More information on EvilDude's work here => http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php...tid=581840

Good luck, to both of you Big Grin
Visual Studio .NET 2003 is the one that most XBMC developers uses becuase it is the latest that the newest XDK supports Wink

jmarshall Wrote:Good luck - there's another guy (EvilDude) working on lyrics extraction that is looking to do similar things (modifying tag readers and so on) so you may wish to consult with him as well - see this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=19157
More information on EvilDude's work and ideas here => http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php...tid=581840

Good luck, to both of you Big Grin
taoizt Wrote:This looks like an excellent interface!! Any updates on that yet? Is it also possible to used as remote software on a laptop to control XBMC?

Good good work!

I had to stop working on it for quite a while as I went down with a severe case of sinusitus and was on 5 courses of antibiotics. Only started feeling better yesterday would you believe. I'm still feeling weak as a kitten atm and with xmas around the corner I'll probably leave off getting back to it early in the new year.

Currently I use the panel on my laptop so yeah it works that way. Unfortunately it does need both Girder and NetRemote to work though. This is because I've built it as part of my home automation system and Girder and NR were in use already and they clean up the HTTPapi system so you don't see pages having to refresh to send commands to XBMC. I realised you could probably do the same thing using Flash recently but as I'm not very experienced in Flash I wouldn't know how to go about it.
Thumbs Up 
nad Wrote:Kev: If you go back to the start of this thread (50 pages!) you will find that "play music without having the TV on" was my aim as well. It is why I produced the HttpApi as well as XBMCControl. I just kept tinkering with both to where it is today. I was planning on making 1.91 the last version for a while. I can't think of much more functionality that I want. However, I still wish it looked better. When I started XBMCControl I was hoping someone with some artistic capabilities would pick it up and beautify it.

While my original aim was to have the app running on my PPC (which it does); I have found that the limited battery life of my PPC means that most of the time I am running the app on a laptop. So in v2 I may give up the ability to run the code on the PPC. This would allow me to come up with a nicer user interface though I am sure it still will look pretty awful.

Once I've finished writing the XBMC-HTTPapi plugin for Girder I'm going to make it available for everyone. That way peeps who use Girder and NetRemote can use your wonderful system to make lovely looking XBMC control panels look really nice. If it wasn't for you Nad it wouldn't have got past go so it's definitely a big case of thanks...

I do use it currently on my PPC and yeah using wifi all the time kills it from full battery to empty in under 2 hours. That's why I have a power cradle that is used whenever I put the thing down. As the PPC controls other things like lighting and heating as well as my TV, Amp and DVD etc it has become an important part of my system. Having XBMC control on it as well was the icing on the cake...

Oh yeah and using NetRemote means that laying out lovely looking control panels is easy. The only problems I had were due to NetRemote 2 still being in beta and I reported the problems to the dev team who took them and fixed them. Promixis (the company who develop NetRemote and Girder) are one of the best dev teams out there... they actually LISTEN to their users and do something about the problems would you believe. That was the main reason I went with NR2/Girder for my home automation control.
Hi Guys,

I have a request for enhancement for HTTP Api.

Currently I am busy writing a notification tool for Linux / Windows, which displays information about the current song:
- Album Art
- Track No
- Track Title
- Artist
- Album
- Length

The last 4 items (Track No / Track Title / Artist / Album / Length) can be retrieved using the GetCurrentlyPlaying-command.
However to get the current Track No from the album (Not to be confused with song no, which returns the number in the playlist), I currently use:
http://xbox/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=Ge...ameter=208
It would be great if this information could be included in the GetCurrentPlaying -response in order to limit the calls to the Xbox.

Regards,
//
You'd have to alter XBMCHttp.cpp

Cheers,
Jonathan

• 34(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WebServer HTTP API (HttpApi): for PocketPC and Web-client Remote Control Apps0