Picture viewer and thumbnail generation
Robotica Wrote:why? team-xbmc has never showed interest and there are no patches....

Well I didn't say that but I'm starting to have that feeling Stare

My offer still stand - the money for a sollution. Both to a solver and a donation to the whole xbmc project.
The devs are running around like crazy trying to get things ready for Eden. It's not really about interest, it's about time. There's only so many hours in the day.
Thanks Ned, but does this mean the bug will be fixed in the future?
It would be a great improvement if this is solved in Eden Final
Ned Scott Wrote:The devs are running around like crazy trying to get things ready for Eden. It's not really about interest, it's about time. There's only so many hours in the day.

I'm sorry if we seemed a bit offensive to you developers. It's not that. We just wanted to know if you know about this issue, that's all.
ric4rd0 Wrote:I'm sorry if we seemed a bit offensive to you developers. It's not that. We just wanted to know if you know about this issue, that's all.

Oh, I'm not a developer, just a support member. But yes, they know :)
Ned Scott Wrote:Oh, I'm not a developer, just a support member. But yes, they know Smile

Okay man, thank you. This is the news we wanted to hear. So let's hope they will manage to fix it soon.
to all of you having this issue:

My friend, for who this thumbnail feature has been working like charm, found the solution. If you use XBMC on Windows I have a bad news for you - we have not found solution for Windows based systems.
Now if you are not interested in the story, just skip this a get to another paragraph. As mentioned it has always been working for him so me and he did a little comparing research today and found this: The problem is the way how Dharma (XBMC 10 on Ubuntu 10) uses EXT4 filesystem. Well let me put it this way. I know almost nothing about Linux based systems so please settle for this poor tech explanation. My friend told me about this only a little and I was quite happy that we (well, he mostly) succeeded with finding the sollution. So bothering him about some tech details didn't seem fair to me. I believe that power-tech-linux-gurus will find out easily what I mean by all this.

so here are three possible solutions:

A first warning: If you are not very computer skilled, not sure what and how to do this, afraid of your data/system too much or something like this simpy DO NOT TRY THIS. I take no responsibility for anything bad that happens as a result of this.

A/ wait for the new XBMC build. I bet the developers know how to fix it, though I don't know this for sure.

or

B/ install fresh XBMC with EXT3 filesystem and you should be OK, no problems with thumbnails at all (applicable to XBMC LIVE 10, 10.1, XBMC installed over UBUNTU 10.x and 11.x, not sure about other Linux based systems, nor other platforms)

or

C/ the harder way: you want to stick with your system with thousands of Gigabytes of movies and other stuff (my case).

With root privileges edit the system file /etc/fstab

change a line that looks like this:

UUID=77587655-2358-4a93-b28e-b3171e18575e / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1

to this

UUID=77587655-2358-4a93-b28e-b3171e18575e / ext4 errors=remount-ro,noatime,barrier=0,bh,commit=100,nouser_xattr 0 1

The numbers and letters after "UUID=" to backslash will be different for you but have no fear! If you make a mistake XBMC will rebuild this file back to default.

I suggest editing fstab directly under Linux because most Windows plain text editors will make line-wraps different and Linux will not understand it. So get Midnight Commander and edit fstab with its built-in editor for example.

After you're done save changes, reboot XBMC and then the thumbnail feature should work fine.

A second warning - according to the documentation, a barrier function - the parameter we used in fstab is recommended only when your computer is powered by UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). Otherwise there's a risk if the power blows the hard drive filesystem might be damaged (data loss). So I'm going to re-install XBMC with ETX3 soon anyway. I tried to unplug power cord of my HTPC while the system was running and nothing bad happend but you can't say I have not warned you.

my system specs: LENOVO desktop PC with Core 2 Duo i5 CPU, 2Gigs of RAM, nvidia 210, 750GB Harddrive, XBMC Live 10, installed from the XBMC Live CD.

Please do not bomb me with questions. I know only a little about Linux, mostly nothing. I hope this will help. That's all.
Once again big thanks to my friend Martin, he's the man!
Thanks. I will wait for the new build to test it.
Hi guys, it worked! Thanks a lot! Finally I can get rid of Windows on my HTPC!
Being on Windows that unfortunatley wont work for me, has any on windows had any sucess.

Its a real pain with any more than 50 or so pictures.

Seeing as the thumbs are stored on the local drive would a SSD help?
Hi,

since someone stated that this whole issue will be handled differently in Eden, I have installed the first Eden beta from December 24th 2011, and nothing changed. Following problems persist for me:

- some folders do not show any picture thumbnails at all
- when watching pictures in a folder that cctually has thumbnails, these are regenerated everytime I return from fullscreen, which makes viewing pictures in afolder with maaaany pictures really slow Sad
Hi, yeah, I must agree completely - the problem that this whole thread is about still exist in new XBMCBUNTU 11.0 release. My previous solution to use ext3 filesystem or change fstab is not probably applicable here since you can't change the filesystem in the install options (well maybe you can but I couldn't find out how). It's a shame because this new release is overall better than 10.x
I'll try to make a video of this issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Picture viewer and thumbnail generation1