3 Zotac Boxes - Where do they differ...
Hello all!

I have seen quite a few of different CPU's lately and also different chipsets and graphics in the Zotac boxes. I reckon these boxes differ in capabilities. I have been reading through alot of topics in this forum recently but to be honest. Ive lost it.

Box 1. Zotac HD-AD01
• ATI Radeon™ HD 3200 GPU
• AMD Athlon™ Neo X2 L325 (1.5 GHz, dual-core)
• AMD 780E + SB710 chipset

Box 2. Zotac HD-ND22
• NVIDIA® ION™ GPU
• Intel® Celeron® SU2300 (1.2 GHz, dual-core)

Box 3. Zotac HD-ID40
• NVIDIA® ION™ GPU (w/512MB DDR3 memory)
• Intel® Atom™ D525 CPU (1.8 GHz, dual-core)
• Intel® NM10 Express

I want to use the box mainly as 1080p media player using xbmc under windows 7. Furthermore I would like to use the box for surfing the internet. Finally, is it possible with any of these boxes to play a random game of heroes of newerth or call of duty 4. Budget gaming so to speak.

I hope any of you guys can help me out in this dillemma. Thanks in advance.

Grts. Jw
Box 1 has an older gen AMD GPU. It has the best CPU maybe, but that GPU makes it worst of the three.

Box 2 has a slightly more powerful CPU than Box 3, but has a last gen ION GPU.

Box 3 has a ION2 GPU and the weakest CPU of the bunch.

None of these boxes are adequate gaming machines. None are a great option for general HTPCs that do surfing and gaming- they all are best served being dedicated XBMC boxes. Of the three if you have to pick from them Box 2 is best for having the best CPU/GPU balance...

For your needs something like this would be better:

http://www.amazon.com/eMachines-ER1402-5...=pd_cp_e_0

And this would be best:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856158018'

Yeah I know, really expensive. But it has a real CPU (maybe at worst 4 times more powerful than any other CPU in any system so far mentioned) and a real GPU (easily three times as powerful as any GPU mentioned). That is really the minimum I think you need for decent gaming- Atom CPUs are really, really weak.

Honestly the best option might be to give up on the Nettops and just build a Micro ATX box. You can get the power of the above best system for hundreds less. A last option would be a Dell Zino- that would be perfect actually...

Poofyhairguy,

Thank you very much for your info. Im used to forums where you first get five posts of flames. Im happy to see this community being so helpful. I like price of the eMachines box slightly more then (in my eyes) expensive asrock 3D.

I am going to take a look around if I can get a supplier in my surroundings (aka The Netherlands)!

Once again, Thanks!
I really want to help. Please let me know if you have a problem.

jwlb Wrote:Im used to forums where you first get five posts of flames.

You suck!

Just kidding!Big Grin
FishOil Wrote:You suck!

What do you mean "He sucks!"? You don't know what you're talking about! You're an idiot!

Just kidding!Laugh
Hi ,
thanks for that info ,regarding the 3 zotac z boxes mentioned ,
i cannot find the emachines nettop you mention for sale in the uk unfortynately
There is also a ZOTAC ZBOX HD-ID11. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ZOTAC-ZBOX-HD-ID11...8364wt_825
I am just about to make my mind up between the above and the Acer Recvo 3610 for a dedicated XBMC machine and would appreciate your thoughts
I would love the Asrock you mentioned , but alas i am on a tight budget .....
Ok, Also a new deal for me. Im getting a new laptop through work so I think I am going to make that one fulfil my gaming needs. This means my HTPC can my more budget-like. My girlfiend also likes that more Smile

Since many nettop manufacturers dont sell in The Netherlands I am limited to a few brands. Now I found this Asrock ION2 system.

Now all it needs to do = W7 + XBMC + Sabnzbd + Sick Beard + Couch Potato. Will the following system be able to handle that. I dont neccesarily need to watch movies AND download at the same time. Allthough preferably it should be possible.

Asrock ION 3D 152B
• Intel Atom D525 ( Dual-Core )
• Nvidia ION 2
• ICH8M chipset
• 2GB DDR2 800Mhz Ram
• 320GB 5400rpm
• USB 3.0
Priced at €390 at my local dealer.

Thanks again for the (probably) quick reply!

Jw
well i got the zbox hd-id11 with the d510 cpu,ocz agility2 ssd, wind7 and xbmc (very similar) 300€.
it runs very smooth with confluence skin, max 10% cpu with 30gb mkvs, playes up to ps1 emulators (havent tried higher yet ), with an ssd 25sec booting, no problem with browsing any pages, running steam and an im simultaneously. i hope devlivers an impression of the capability.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
3 Zotac Boxes - Where do they differ...0