[LIVE] Suspend / Autoresume issues?
I have what seems to be a common problem with no common solution. After booting, my system can suspend correctly one time. Any further suspends after this point causes the box to go down for a suspend but immediately awake within seconds.

Worst case scenario the remote sometimes does not immediately respond as well. I've done a lot of searching and found a lot of possible solutions, but none have worked for me.

I really need to get this function working. Please Help.
Hi
try this:

Edit the grub. file
path:
/etc/default/grub

and add
Code:
usbcore.autosuspend=-1

to line 10

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT.

Example:

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash xbmc=autostart,noredir usbcore.autosuspend=-1"

after do:
Code:
sudo update-grub
Just started researching this same problem again today after some time. I'm having the same problem, and was hoping that it would be the same fix.

In my grub file, the line you mentioned was commented out. Should I uncomment it and add the usbcore parameter to that?

Edit: I tried adding the line anyway. On boot, I get four or five lines of errors, but it's too quick to read them, then it just boots up to xbmc. I still can't shutdown or suspend. The screen goes blank and then returns after 5 - 10 seconds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Below is a snapshot of my pm-suspend.log, which may be of some sort of help. From my limited experience, I can see things shutting down and approx 10 seconds after successfully suspending, it is awakened with no user action.

If there is any other log that I can post that would be helpful, let me know.

Code:
Initial commandline parameters:
Thu Dec 16 20:23:15 EST 2010: Running hooks for hibernate.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/000kernel-change hibernate hibernate:success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00logging hibernate hibernate:Linux XBMCLive 2.6.32-2$
Module                  Size  Used by
snd_hda_codec_nvhdmi    12658  1
snd_hda_codec_realtek   216061  1
snd_hda_intel          20735  3
snd_hda_codec          86904  3 snd_hda_codec_nvhdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_$
snd_hwdep               5572  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm_oss            34539  0
snd_mixer_oss          13865  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                71550  5 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_dummy           1434  0
snd_seq_oss            27178  0
snd_seq_midi            4557  0
snd_rawmidi            19077  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event      6003  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                47466  6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_$
snd_timer              18646  3 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device          5988  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawm$
joydev                  8708  1
lirc_mceusb            12402  1
lirc_dev                8884  3 lirc_mceusb
psmouse                63245  0
serio_raw               3978  0
xhci                   35858  0
nvidia               9961216  38
asus_atk0110            9017  0
snd                    56239  18 snd_hda_codec_nvhdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd$
coretemp                4289  0
soundcore               6620  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          7076  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
lp                      7028  0
parport                32635  1 lp
fbcon                  35102  71
tileblit                2031  1 fbcon
font                    7557  1 fbcon
usbhid                 36110  0
hid                    67032  1 usbhid
bitblit                 4707  1 fbcon
r8169                  34076  0
mii                     4381  1 r8169
vga16fb                11385  0
softcursor              1189  1 bitblit
vgastate                8961  1 vga16fb
ahci                   32200  2
intel_agp              24119  0
agpgart                31724  2 nvidia,intel_agp
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       2061132     367220    1693912          0      20632     201824
-/+ buffers/cache:     144764    1916368
Swap:       227320          0     227320
success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00powersave hibernate hibernate:success.
/etc/pm/sleep.d/10_grub-common hibernate hibernate:success.
/etc/pm/sleep.d/10_unattended-upgrades-hibernate hibernate hibernate:success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/49bluetooth hibernate hibernate:not applicable.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/55NetworkManager hibernate hibernate:not applicable.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/75modules hibernate hibernate:not applicable.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/90clock hibernate hibernate:not applicable.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/94cpufreq hibernate hibernate:success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/95led hibernate hibernate:not applicable.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98video-quirk-db-handler hibernate hibernate:success.
/etc/pm/sleep.d/99lirc-resume hibernate hibernate:/etc/pm/sleep.d/99lirc-resume$
* Stopping remote control daemon(s): LIRC
   ...done.
success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video hibernate hibernate:success.
/etc/pm/sleep.d/action_wpa hibernate hibernate:success.
Thu Dec 16 20:23:17 EST 2010: performing hibernate
Thu Dec 16 20:23:27 EST 2010: Awake.
Thu Dec 16 20:23:27 EST 2010: Running hooks for thaw
michael2690 Wrote:Hi
try this:

Edit the grub. file
path:
/etc/default/grub

and add
Code:
usbcore.autosuspend=-1

to line 10

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT.

Example:

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash xbmc=autostart,noredir usbcore.autosuspend=-1"

after do:
Code:
sudo update-grub

Thansk for this, I also found this fix while searching, but it seems the file located in "etc/default/" does not exist.

I don't know hwy that is, perhaps because im running a live version. Ultimately that Grub file I cannot find anywhere.
I seem to have fixed this issue using simply guessing and luck. On a whim I edited the file in etc/default/ called acpi-support. I edited two lines. The was . . .

Code:
# Comment this out to disable screen locking on resume
LOCK_SCREEN=true

changing it to . . .

Code:
# Comment this out to disable screen locking on resume
#LOCK_SCREEN=true

I then edited:

Code:
# Restart Infra Red services on resume - off by default as it crashes some
# machines
RESTART_IRDA=false

changing it to . . .

Code:
# Restart Infra Red services on resume - off by default as it crashes some
# machines
RESTART_IRDA=true

I also changed a setting in my BIOS to force S3 instead of the "auto" setting, though i don't think this actually effected anything.

Hope this helps some one in the future. I still would like to know why I don't have this grub file
Just had a change to try the above suggestions. Still no luck.

I'm wondering if I should start from a clean build since I've tried so many different things now. I still cannot shutdown or suspend my machine. Would rather not have it running 24/7 since it's only used a small percentage of the time.

Any further help would be appreciated, either in how to fix the current setup, or which build I should start over with that should work out of the box.

Thanks,

Travis
travist,

I never followed up, but my problems came back but I finally found a solution.

The file I could not locate was in the /boot directory.

/boot/grub/menu.lst

I had to edit the kernel line at the bottom to look like this.

Code:
title        Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-20-generic
uuid        9965d511-3bb8-4c9b-a966-100cc8e07ce1
kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-20-generic root=UUID=9965d511-3bb8-4c9b-a966-100cc8e07ce1 ro quiet splash  xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount,setvolume loglevel=0 [b]usbcore.autosuspend=-1[/b]
initrd        /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-20-generic
quiet

The bold is what I added to get suspend working. You'll notice it's the same change we were told to make in the etc/default/grub file. I still haven't figured out the reasoning for the difference, but this solved all my problems. Suspend works flawlessly now.
Mike,

Thanks for the update. I was really excited hoping that this would fix mine as well. Unfortunately, that file doesn't exist on my box. Realized this morning that I am running 10.0 beta2, so maybe that's the difference. Also, I'm running the installed live version, not just from a usb drive, so maybe that's something as well.

I guess I'll continue to play around and see if I can get it to work. Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

TravisT
Sad 
Same issue here. Just installed 10.0 Release fresh on a USB. Have an IONITX-A-U.

Here is my line 9 and 10 from /etc/default/grub:

#GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount loglevel=0"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

This issue ranks #1 with me. The wife hates having to shutdown, and having to wait 3-4 minutes for it to boot next time. So much for install it, and it automatically work!
Allright, similar issue but potentially different hardware and certainly different Ubuntu release. I'm running Karmic.

base:
Asrock ion330-ht
Karmic mini 32 bit
XCI install with script as of Dec 19.

issue:
Non shutdown/suspend/.... from XBMC (remote or button)

modifications:
modified /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.devicekit.power.policy setting <allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive> to yes for all power actions.

Code:
<action id="org.freedesktop.devicekit.power.suspend">
    <description>Suspend the system</description>
    <message>Authentication is required to suspend the system</message>
    <defaults>
      <allow_inactive>yes</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>yes</allow_active>
    </defaults>
  </action>
  <action id="org.freedesktop.devicekit.power.hibernate">
    <description>Hibernate the system</description>
    <message>Authentication is required to hibernate the system</message>
    <defaults>
    </defaults>
  </action>

and modified /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.consolekit.policy setting allow_inactive to yes and adding allow_any to authorize auth_admin group
The auth_admin are actually defined in /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf, see below.

Code:
<policyconfig>

<action id="org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop">
    <description>Stop the system</description>
    <message>System policy prevents stopping the system</message>
    <defaults>
      <allow_any>auth_admin</allow_any>
    </defaults>
  </action>

<action id="org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop-multiple-users">
    <description>Stop the system when multiple users are logged in</description>
    <message>System policy prevents stopping the system when other users are logged in</message>
    <defaults>
    </defaults>
  </action>

<action id="org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart">
    <description>Restart the system</description>
    <message>System policy prevents restarting the system</message>
    <defaults>
    </defaults>
  </action>

<action id="org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart-multiple-users">
    <description>Restart the system when multiple users are logged in</description>
    <message>System policy prevents restarting the system when other users are logged in</message>
    <defaults>
    </defaults>
  </action>

</policyconfig>

Added the xbmc user to the users list.
/etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf
Code:
<config version="0.1">
    <match user="root">
        <return result="yes"/>
    </match>
    <match user="xbmc">
        <return result="yes"/>
    </match>
    <define_admin_auth group="admin"/>
</config>

situation:
Now the suspend action does actually work.
It will suspend the system in all situations from within XBMC, either hit on the remote button or the GUI button.
The resume function will work... or not.

follow up:
I'm currently trying to figure out why.
The best way to get the stuff working for now on is to perform the first suspend using the GUI button and not the remote one.
I'd don't like that behavior as it would suggest that the remote drivers could be in the middle of this issue.
I'm also not very happy with the various modifications I had to make.
I'll try to to figure out what is actually useful and what is not.
tutman2 Wrote:Same issue here. Just installed 10.0 Release fresh on a USB. Have an IONITX-A-U.

Here is my line 9 and 10 from /etc/default/grub:

#GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount loglevel=0"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

This issue ranks #1 with me. The wife hates having to shutdown, and having to wait 3-4 minutes for it to boot next time. So much for install it, and it automatically work!

Tutman, you're solution is easy, you need to edit that second line. THe first line's # indicates it's just a description/comment and has no function. The second line is what effects you. Edit it to look like this.

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount loglevel=0 [b]usbcore.autosuspend=-1[/b]"

The bold item is what should be your solution.

Boris, the solution for you may be similar, but note two things. First, I'm a super newb and anything I come up with is a direct result of google and forum searches. Second, the solutions I've come up with here are from my own experiences with a LIVE install.

Travist. I am also running and installed version of LIVE. Currently 10.00. It might be worthy to note that I started with beta3 and then upgraded manually using

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

I did this because RC1 (the current release at the time of my build) would not allow the installation from USB key because it wouldnt recognize my key as a bootable disc despite it starting the install.

Anyway, this could be the main reason for the file structure differences. However, I believe the solution is the same, but the file names and locations could be different. For instance, I had to rename a file called menu.lst, but the solution was the same line argument as the people who were suggestion the file grub ( which doesn't exist on my system). So there is some funny business going on here, but defining it is difficult.
I was about to just reinstall the latest version from scratch to undo any changes I have already made. I decided to go for the manual upgrade as you mentioned first, and see how that work out. I'm downloading the packages now (which seems to be a painfully slow process), so we'll see how that works out tomorrow. Thanks again for the help and hopefully others will benefit from what you have already figured out.

TravisT
This is still a problem for me also, the one thing that stills bugs me about my XBMC install Sad

I am running an ASRock ION330HT, just fresh installed 10 to make sure everything is up to date and clean. I am sure when I tried this in my workshop the suspend/resume thing worked and I was over the moon. Once reinstalled into my AV system the same auto resume problem was still there :mad:

Anyway my install does have the grub file in /etc/default but the line was commented out and also slightly different to the example on the first post. I left the original line and added the line from this thread. This made no difference and auto resume is still happening.

I have checked and I don't have a menu.lst file in /boot/grub either.

I wish I could get this one issue resolved as it has bugged me for over a year now
Mike8913 Wrote:Tutman, you're solution is easy, you need to edit that second line. THe first line's # indicates it's just a description/comment and has no function. The second line is what effects you. Edit it to look like this.

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount loglevel=0 [b]usbcore.autosuspend=-1[/b]"

The bold item is what should be your solution.

My issue is the same as Tutman and I have re-editted my Grub file in exactly the same way as you say Mike but it is having no effect. I have commented out the original two lines and just added in the line shown above. Done an "update-grub" and rebotted for good measure but still it auto resumes :mad:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Suspend / Autoresume issues?0