Why not have "Designed for XBMC" and "Powered by XBMC" officially certified hardware?
No need for sarcasms.

In my opinion, there is no need for a fancy "approved by XBMC"-logo.
There are countless possibilities to run XBMC rather smooth.

Thanks to XBMCLive installing have become rather simple. But there are some problems, which has to be solved. Suspend/Resume is one of those.
Star 
Warning: Nothing but pipe dreams lay beyond these words

For most of us, the original modded Xbox was one of the best pieces of equipment we ever had attached to our TV. We had a game machine, a media player, and a homebrewer's dream. Unfortunately the original Xbox is coming up on 10 years of age, the hardware inside of it well beyond. That is an eternity in terms of computers. Technology is always expanding, growing, evolving. What has the original Xbox evolved into? Well, Microsoft's Xbox evolved into the 360. Our Xbox evolved into nothing. We now have a giant gap where our modded Xboxes once lay, with nothing prepared to take its place. I, for one, would like that to change. So, I propose:

XBMC+

Essentially nothing more than XBMC Live, with a strict set of guidelines and requirements, which I like to refer to as a "target platform". What I would like to see, is something like the Pandora Platform, but for the living room. An open source console if you will, but oh, so much more. Where others have failed, we can succeed

The XBMC+ Target Platform:

Obviously, in selecting the hardware for the project, we want to make it accusable to most. I think we should follow 3 simple guidelinesConfusedize, power, price. Obviously you can't have the best of all 3 in one device, so we try to find the perfect middle ground

Size: I believe Mini-ITX is a perfect solution. Compared to ATX, and even Micro-ATX, it is miniscule in comparison. Plus, with many board makers building boards with stuff like Wifi already included, there is less need for an expansion slot, which brings me to

Power: A single slot GPU should provide more than enough omph to run anything. An AMD 5670 can run Crysis, still one of the most demanding games, 1080p at about 40FPS. Console games like Halo Reach only run at 30FPS, but that doesn't really matter, as we wont be using it for stuff like that. The point is, a single slot full size card is more than enough. A half height card could be good too, but I believe the airflow provided by a taller case more than outweighs the pros of a tiny case. A great Micro-ITX case like the Rosewill RS-MI-01 is only 5.1" tall, 1.3" taller than the PS3, but not nearly as wide. It has more depth, but I don't think (m)any of us are putting stuff BEHIND our PS3s in our entertainment center. Now, as for...

Price: But what about a CPU you say? Well, that's exactly why we're here. Clearly Intel is beating AMD in just about every CPU shootout there is, except in one category: Price. AMD is most always the winner here, which is precisely why it should be used. It pains me, and probably many of you, to say that. Personally, I have an Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU in each of my computers, which I have a lot of. But I think a project like this would benefit from more people being able to obtain it. The more people that had it, the more people that would interested in it, the more development it gets. Plain and simple

To even further help with the pricing, I think different levels of XBMC+ would come in handy, and be perfect. Think of it like Windows' rating system. You could build the cheapest supported system, say a Mini-ITX AMD 880G based system with a single core CPU, which already has a built in GPU, and 1GB of RAM. You would then have yourself a XBMC+ 1.0 spec system. It may not seem like much, but could it emulate just about every 64-bit and under console? You bet it could. It could also handle just about every video you threw at it. Want to emulate some PS2 games? Upgrade to a 2.0 spec by bumping the memory, switch to dual core, and add a video card. With different levels, people could actually build their next home computer to the spec, and dual boot between Windows and XBMC+

Why?: I look on the forums, and I see tons of people of people with Atom/Ion systems building HTPCs just for XBMC. Now, how many of you would have rather spent $50-$100 more, and basically had a beefed up Xbox. Something you turn on, watch some movies, play some emulators, browse the web, etc. I know I would, and hopefully you would too. I think $50-$100 more for something that is infinitely better is a GREAT deal

How?: Well, with your help. There are tons of people that loved the original Xbox, like everyone over at Xbox-Scene. There are tons of developers that loved coding for it, like Xport. There are also tons of people that love Linux, and love coding for that like the PCSX2 team. What we need to do, is find them, and bring them all together. It's a task, sure, but it's not impossible. It will take time, which is a good thing

When?: Not now, and certainly not "soon". I think the first target platform should be, at the very least, the next wave of chipsets. I would like to see it based on the coming AMD 900 series chipset, which will hopefully support vital features such as bitstreaming

It's like they say, good things come to those who wait...
I guess I don't get it.

There are 3 (at least) launchers, which support almost any emulator under the sun.

AMD (ATI) won't put the time or effort forward for getting their stuff working with Linux. Nvidia has a massive lead.

Davilla has already hinted at possibly an XBMC box. Check out the hardware forum, there's already a 'min' spec.
You want XBMC. I have 1GB of RAM and a 1.8gHz Celeron and a GT220.

If you want to run something above the minimum, find out what the minimum for that software is.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:I guess I don't get it.

What's not to get? There's nothing like what I'm saying. No tight integration, no community (Not just the regular XBMC community)

Sure, there may be a few launchers, but where? How do you install and use them? What's the minimum requirements? (Rhetorical questions). There is little to no voice from XBMC on the matter. Do you not remember how easy it was in the "old days"? New releases broadcasted all the time on main pages, (x)bins repositories, etc. It can, and should, still be like that

What I'm saying is that it should be easier, more accessible, and more inviting to both developers and the users
You use the Addon Repo like every single other add on.
Min requirements are any computer made in the last 10 years for SD content.
If you want HD support, you need a video card with hardware acceleration. Crystal HD and VDPAU have been very predominantly advertised as features. The "Hardware" sub forum is quite active.

I do remember how "hard" it was back in the old days because they couldn't release binaries themselves. You're romanticizing the past. I had to go digging through forums hoping to find the latest release. I'd find 9 different versions on BitTorrent, poorly labeled. Not to mention this was AFTER you figured out how to soft (or hard) mod your XBOX. You then needed to figure out how to make XBMC launch as at boot. Else you'd be stuck in EvoX or what ever else dashboard your softmod installed. Even then it only worked on XBOX. Then came the Linux betas...

10.0 was released and is on the main page. There is a proper downloads section. Source code is on Github & Sourceforge.

Still, I don't get it.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
An XBMC branded mce remote, that emulates a keyboard (like the cheapo ebay ones) but comes default with all the keypresses needed for xbmc and should be cross platform too (should easy with keyboard emulation)

No drivers & no hassle. if it could sell for <£15/$20 it would sell by the bucket load
I think we should go knocking on NVIDIA's door and tell them to build a box for us. I know they would sell them!

BORIStheBLADE Wrote:I think we should go knocking on NVIDIA's door and tell them to build a box for us. I know they would sell them!

They did! nVidia GFX, nVidia I/O - it was called Xbox! Laugh

Just kiddin... yeah it would be nice...
BORIStheBLADE Wrote:I think we should go knocking on NVIDIA's door and tell them to build a box for us. I know they would sell them!

Nvidia isnt really the end hardware manufacturer one would contact though, but as said previously, its being investigated and who knows what the future will bring Smile I think we can all agree that XBMC dedicated hardware would be a great thing, so its something we do pursue Smile

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
while waiting for that an idea would be to have a test/certification score card for existing HW. Simply a list of test cases and hopefully a number of reference sound & video files. The output would a "certified for" or what ever + config guidelines.
one of our very own XBMC guys is doing something similar http://www.xbmcboxes.com/
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/sigma...xt-gen-st/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why not have "Designed for XBMC" and "Powered by XBMC" officially certified hardware?1